Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect WUs backers are Chinese.
Apparently the original backers were a developer from Hong Kong, but they withdrew after a fall in the Australian market. The current main backer is Jaszac Investments (which also run a talent agency which has pendlebury on its list among others, as well as a range of investments)

Canberra is a 50+1 community club with a European club apparently the 49% (same structure as city. The members would choose the name and the wleague team wouldn't be owned by the aleague club, but obviously a working relationship would be there.

Apparently the original backers were a developer from Hong Kong, but they withdrew after a fall in the Australian market. The current main backer is Jaszac Investments (which also run a talent agency which has pendlebury on its list among others, as well as a range of investments)

Canberra is a 50+1 community club with a European club apparently the 49% (same structure as city. The members would choose the name and the wleague team wouldn't be owned by the aleague club, but obviously a working relationship would be there.

How do you know the main backer of Western United is Jaszac rather than some unknown person? I'm actually happy to hear this and have no issues with them remaining quiet. It also makes sense why Western United were one of the main backers of the Jets when they got into trouble as Jaszac back the Jets as well.

Would make sense for Westen United to move south and become Southern United in Tassie. Can see the govt chipping in for a 15k multipurpose recantgular stadium down there whereas WUFC have to fund it themselves out in Tarneit.

I hate to say it but it does make sense. I hope it doesn't happen as I do think Western United will be a boon for the Wyndham region once the stadium is built but that does seem a long way away now.

I hate to say it but it does make sense. I hope it doesn't happen as I do think Western United will be a boon for the Wyndham region once the stadium is built but that does seem a long way away now.

It seems like the new WUFC stadium is a pipe dream now. Tassie govt is desperate for national sporting league representation and would very likely help fund a multipurpose rectangular venue that could also host Rugby & concert events.

It makes logical sense on so many levels, team would get much more community support in Tassie too.

How do you know the main backer of Western United is Jaszac rather than some unknown person? I'm actually happy to hear this and have no issues with them remaining quiet. It also makes sense why Western United were one of the main backers of the Jets when they got into trouble as Jaszac back the Jets as well.
I google the ownership and further googled the parties that were named. I think the Newcastle investment listing is part of the apl consortium back in January that took over (rather then as part of the previous ownership).

I think between the current ownership structure and the desire by the local council to use the site as a entertainment and commercial centre Wyndham stadium will happen with Western united (the das sound like they are all but lined up). Also more recent news with the tassie side (and the feasibility study) sounds like tassie is on the short list for further expansion (with its own backers in place).

WU stadium probably is a pipe dream, but there remains some sort of deal between the council and WU, which involves a transfer of property, afterall, let's not forget that the original backers of WU were property developers.
Not sure what the fine print is in the deal, but I can't see the backers relinquishing their license while there remains a prospect of getting land for free out of the council.

WU stadium probably is a pipe dream, but there remains some sort of deal between the council and WU, which involves a transfer of property, afterall, let's not forget that the original backers of WU were property developers.
Not sure what the fine print is in the deal, but I can't see the backers relinquishing their license while there remains a prospect of getting land for free out of the council.

The only way they get that property is building a stadium.
No stadium no property and hopefully booted from the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way they get that property is building a stadium.
No stadium no property and hopefully booted from the comp.

It makes sense that that would be the case.
You'd hope that that is the case.
But what if the wording of the deal is such that a soccer pitch with a grassy bank and change rooms suffices?
No parts of the deal have ever been made public.

Honestly, I would send WU to Tasmania. Southern United or Tasmania United.

Bring in South Melbourne to replace them - South would bring immediate $$$ to the A-League and a tonne of supporters back.
Would have to make lakeside soccer specific first.

It makes sense that that would be the case.
You'd hope that that is the case.
But what if the wording of the deal is such that a soccer pitch with a grassy bank and change rooms suffices?
No parts of the deal have ever been made public.

Pretty sure it was announced as a 15k multiipurpose rectangular stadium.

Guaranteed too unlike the Team 11 Dandenong Stadium bid.

Honestly, I would send WU to Tasmania. Southern United or Tasmania United.

Bring in South Melbourne to replace them - South would bring immediate $$$ to the A-League and a tonne of supporters back.

South Melbourne have little to offer the A League. If WU move we will be back to 2 teams in Melbourne which is about right.

Would have to make lakeside soccer specific first.

No one is going to spend a dollar on lakeside - we'd have to view the athletic track as just being a fun quirk of this team. (They'd play their derbies and probably their finals at Swan St anyway.)

Pretty sure it was announced as a 15k multiipurpose rectangular stadium.

Guaranteed too unlike the Team 11 Dandenong Stadium bid.

The irony is that the Victorian Labor party had the money stashed to build Dandenong Stadium, but as a result of the polling before the election they decided they could save $120m. But they likely would've thrown money at it anyway, and it would likely be more developed than Wyndham (assuming the grant was awarded before COVID.)

No one is going to spend a dollar on lakeside - we'd have to view the athletic track as just being a fun quirk of this team. (They'd play their derbies and probably their finals at Swan St anyway.)

The irony is that the Victorian Labor party had the money stashed to build Dandenong Stadium, but as a result of the polling before the election they decided they could save $120m. But they likely would've thrown money at it anyway, and it would likely be more developed than Wyndham (assuming the grant was awarded before COVID.)
Because games at Spotless Stadium, marvel and scg have been so warmly recieved. There is no space for another team in metro Melbourne, Dandenong would of be great, Wyndham will be great. Would of been interesting to see what would of happened if the government agreed to fund either stadium.

Gonna have to disagree there.

We can disagree but that doesnt change the demographics of South Melbourne FC. Theyre an ideal club for top level NPL but just simply are too localised to ever be considered for the A League.

And thats why they keep failing with bids and will continue to do so unless they completely rebrand the club from the ground up which is pretty much a new club in any case.

Back