Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Cue the massive whinges....

"Look when we said the best way of getting good players to stay at a Northern club is be a good footy club and have some success and also recruit local players who won't have a go home factor, we didn't really mean it!!!!"

We might need to get that Simpsons Sook meme ready...

Matt Rowell believes Gold Coast should be playing finals in 2024

They mentioned on the Rush Hour Melbourne that Rowell would be on today (assume they have already recorded the interview to be so confident).
In this interview JB was talking about a dinner (or lunch?) that the Suns boys had with media types in Melbourne (he had sat next to Rowell). Mentioned Anderson, Miller, Luko being there.

Is this common, or maybe a Dimma initiative for a bit more positive coverage?

Chats with rats

Rat mentioned while being back in Adelaide for gather round didn’t really like the extra attention he would get just walking thru the markets and couldn’t imagine what a good player would feel and he’s super stoked to be on the coast.

With all our young boys signed up and only Rankine actually leaving to go home.

Our retention problem is officially over?

Time to get those A graders end of year now

Chats with rats

Rat mentioned while being back in Adelaide for gather round didn’t really like the extra attention he would get just walking thru the markets and couldn’t imagine what a good player would feel and he’s super stoked to be on the coast.

With all our young boys signed up and only Rankine actually leaving to go home.

Our retention problem is officially over?

Time to get those A graders end of year now

What about the part he mentioned when they saw suns players out drinking after a thrashing

What about the part he mentioned when they saw suns players out drinking after a thrashing
He also mentioned that the club has matured to a point that the playing group wouldn't allow that kind of behaviour to fester these days and I'd guess Mac is probably an example of a guy that recently tried his luck and was punished for it. Touk said he looks back on those early days when he first got here in late 2014 and is amazed that the club wasn't able to climb the ladder with the talent we had at the time. It just goes to show that you can have all the talent in the world but if the culture/leadership within the four walls isn't strong then you're probably going to underachieve.

In retrospect, it's probably not that surprising that it happened when you've got 'club leaders' like Karmichael Hunt housing and influencing Harley Bennell and Campbell Brown getting in fights overseas which led to getting arrested in Thailand while on holiday with Maverick Weller and breaking his teammate Steven May's jaw in Los Angeles. There was obviously a party culture within the four walls at the time and it sounds like the older players were not only allowing it to get out of hand, but some were also contributing to it. That's really poor leadership for a list full of very young players and it's only amplified when the club is based in a city that notorious for its party culture. It's definitely disappointing to know that there was likely an avoidable reason as to why we underachieved back then.

The reality is the Gold Coast is a party town so this is always going to be something that we need to keep an eye on. Strong leaders that are willing to hold players accountable will always be paramount for us and I'm confident that we now have the right guys in place like Touk, Witts, Swallow and Collins.

Matt loves Will
“Watching a young fella do that is an absolute team lifter and I love the way Will has gone about it ever since he got to the footy club,” Rowell told this masthead.

“I love that he’s gotten his opportunity and really taken it. He’s so strong on the inside there and I’m loving his work. He’s really proving his strengths on the inside in the contest and I’m really proud of him.”
Since being taken with the No. 26 selection in last year’s draft, the Palm Beach Currumbin product has packed on the muscle and worked himself to the bone to earn his early AFL chance.

One veteran last week revealed Graham was already benching 120kg – outdoing many of his teammates who have spent season after season building their strength in the gym.

“He’s got a naturally strong body for his age but he’s just worked hard ever since he got here,” Rowell said.

“No ego, he just wanted to get to work which he’s done and I’m glad he’s gotten this opportunity. You can see in the way he goes about it he’s going to be a great player for us.

“Dimma has really backed him in with the responsibility and he’s done a great job.”
“He craves the contest and that’s the sort of player you love to have in your footy club,” Hardwick said of Graham.

“The amount of times he looked out of the contest but put his head down and tackled and chased, that’s the sort of player we’re trying to build our footy club on the back of.

“He was outstanding last week and even better this week. I think we have a pretty special player.”

Cause they will......why are you surprised......they are catering to the VIC audience.....that's where the "bums on seats" are, that where the advertising dollars are, and that's what they need to do to keep their jobs.....keep the VIC audience happy and all will be well......and the best way to do that is to put down all Clubs that are non-Victorian that might threaten the status quo...
You've only got to watch VFL 360 to see that.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garry on “on the couch” had a nice sook about our academy on Monday night. You can’t win with these blokes, they have berated us as a laughing stock for years and now that we are on the verge of becoming a powerhouse they want to sook it up.

He backed it up too on his radio show yesterday

Can we just play in one finals game before the VFL Campaigners like Slime Lyon, Weasel Whateley and Nerd Boy Maher have our club dismantled and compulsorily shipped off to strengthen Melbourne, Geelong and Richmond to enable them more flags??
How about we are allowed to cheer on our team in just one semi final first.
This sport really makes me despise Victoria. They are spoilt entitled F-Wits.

Crazy how quick guys like Gary have gone from ‘aww look at lil Gold Coast becoming not complete trash’ to ‘f*ck this team who is only any good due to this academy I know nothing about’.

Makes me think we are really on the right track. Which is good cos I have 13 years of built up sh*t to talk.

Crazy how quick guys like Gary have gone from ‘aww look at lil Gold Coast becoming not complete trash’ to ‘f*ck this team who is only any good due to this academy I know nothing about’.

Makes me think we are really on the right track. Which is good cos I have 13 years of built up sh*t to talk.

We need to put a list together of media sun believers and sun haters

I have not
unrelated to Terminator, however fitting for the thread. :)
arnold schwarzenegger terminator GIF

I don’t understand our players doing all this Melbourne media stuff and diddly squat local media.
I wouldn’t let them near any Melbourne media campaigner during the week.
To be fair… what local media? Do we even have local sports radio or mainstream podcast channels?

I think there still isn’t enough interest in mainstream media here to talk for 10 minutes about something like you could on these shows in Melb.

Grassroots may be exploding football wise up here, but the media interest will take a while to catch up.

I don’t understand our players doing all this Melbourne media stuff and diddly squat local media.
I wouldn’t let them near any Melbourne media campaigner during the week.
As per a new agreement all players who played on weekend have to be available for media interviews. All local media have to do is put in a request.

To be fair… what local media? Do we even have local sports radio or mainstream podcast channels?

I think there still isn’t enough interest in mainstream media here to talk for 10 minutes about something like you could on these shows in Melb.

Grassroots may be exploding football wise up here, but the media interest will take a while to catch up.
Triple M maybe? I don't listen to them but I assume they still broadcast our games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back