Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

GOLD COAST SUNS

Strength

They’re hard to play against in the makings of a serious unit and a typical Damien Harwick-led side. The Suns are ranked first in opposition chain to score percentage and third in score per inside 50 efficiency. This gradual improvement defensively is clearly crucial to the club’s bid to end its finals drought.

Weakness

Forward 50 efficiency. The Suns have ample firepower up forward but aren’t maximising their entries — ranked 15th in score per inside 50 percentage (41%). This is partly due to Hardwick’s side lacking classy ball users to deliver the ball to effectively to the forwards.

Tactical changes from last year

The boundary line is your friend. The Suns have played it more safe under Hardwick in year one — ranked third in boundary use from defensive 50 percentage (52%) and 18th in corridor use percentage (13%).

Health check

29 games lost to injury (18th-most)

Yeah that fast ball movement Dimma talked up pre season just hasn't been there. Wide and slow has been the way.
We have no one outside of Powell in the back half who has the speed, skills and confidence to pull it off. Collins for some reason has the confidence but not much else. Mac similar, but I back him to get to the skill level eventually. Luko just slows it down every time, and Flanders is mainly barely 15m chips. All combined with a bit of hesitancy to attack through the middle and make a mistake after 6 years of Dew that needs to be undone.

This is where we are missing Weller and tbh Jeffrey, but I think it was a shock to Hardwick just how little speed and footskill we have off halfback on the list.

It’s gonna be a process.

We have no one outside of Powell in the back half who has the speed, skills and confidence to pull it off. Collins for some reason has the confidence but not much else. Mac similar, but I back him to get to the skill level eventually. Luko just slows it down every time, and Flanders is mainly barely 15m chips. All combined with a bit of hesitancy to attack through the middle and make a mistake after 6 years of Dew that needs to be undone.

This is where we are missing Weller and tbh Jeffrey, but I think it was a shock to Hardwick just how little speed and footskill we have off halfback on the list.

It’s gonna be a process.
You get speed from defence either by fast players or by fast ball movement. Sure, I expect some growing pains but to be the last through corridor under Dimma is a big surprise. No doubt it's directive to go wide (and use max width of the ground). We certainly were not the last team in this category under Dew :) I suspect Dimma wants to use good ball users in defence, hence Luko, Flanders there now too. It's new roles, still learning. We will improve.

On the other hand, we usually put great forward pressure. I re-watched the game and Walter is a great addition in pressure aspect, not only Berry, Holman, Rosas/Rogers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pat & Heals on SEN

Gold Coast Suns Key Defender Charlie Ballard on life and playing at The Gold Coast | "I'm loving my time here"

Joel Jeffrey and Ben Long pushing case for AFL selection in Gold Coast’s Darwin games​

Territorians Joel Jeffrey and Ben Long are pushing hard to secure their spot in the Gold Coast AFL side ahead of the club’s return to Darwin. Read what playing in the Top End means to them.

Territory Sun Joel Jeffrey is confident his Suns can maintain their unbeaten run in Darwin as he pushes his case for selection for the AFL games.
Jeffrey has started the season in the VFL side, where he won and fellow Territorians Lloyd Johnston and Sandy Brock won a premiership in 2023.

But with a double-header of games in Darwin right around the corner his sights are on pleasing new coach Damien Hardwick enough to earn re-selection to the main squad.

The 22-year-old has been at the Suns since 2021 and has made 16 appearances in the AFL side, but with North Melbourne and Geelong to play at TIO Stadium, he’s hoping to add at least two more.

But for the young rebounding defender, he knows he just has to show what he’s made of week in and week out to impress the powers that be.

“I haven’t started this season as I wanted, but that’s footy and the way it is, I’ve just got to keep working on what I can control,” he said.

“I’ve been playing consistent footy, but there’s just a few things I need to work on to get back in the AFL side ahead of the Darwin games.

“As a rebound defender I’ve just got to keep attacking the ball and using my speed to get it forward, I’ve been working hard at that and it’s starting to show.

“It’s a great thing to be playing in front of family and friends having done it the past few years, and I want that feeling again.”

The Suns are four wins from four since 2022 in Darwin, and though Geelong are on top of the table after a rampaging start to the season, Jeffrey is sure his side will turn it up in the heat.

“The boys love playing up there with our recent record and we’re looking forward to coming back up and playing again,” he said.

“Anything can happen in footy and we won’t take North lightly, and while Geelong are top we always play well in Darwin so there’s confidence that we can go up and get two wins.”

Jeffrey, along with Malcolm Rosas, is one of the longest serving Territorians in the Suns, and after signing a four-year contract extension he will be in the squad until at least the end of 2028.

He’s had plenty of highs, including the VFL championship win, as well as some lows, coming from injuries, and that experience has helped him become a leader among the Territory boys.

“Mally and I have been here the longest now, but we all try to lead from the front particularly when new boys come in from Darwin, as in showing them the ropes and what we’ve learned,” he said.

“I’m continuing to try and be a leader, that’s one thing I want to get better at because talking up more will help me not only in footy but outside it too.

“We’ve got around Lloyd and Mally with their injuries, rehab can be a lonely place, but to having your brother boys around you can help a lot.”

‘Best time in the calendar’: Long pushing for Darwin games call-up​

Territorian Ben Long has made his ambitions of returning to the AFL side for the Darwin double header known after a strong run of performances in the Gold Coast VFL side.

The 26-year-old started his footballing journey at St Mary’s in the NTFL before he was drafted by St Kilda in 2016, where he played 79 AFL games.

He requested a trade to the Gold Coast in 2022 earning a chance to play in a side that frequently plays in Darwin.

The chance to run out again at TIO Stadium against Adelaide and Western Bulldogs in 2023 is a memory he’s cherished since, and now he’s looking to replicate that feeling.

“I was lucky enough to be a part of those games, I was really looking for to them playing in front of my friends and family,” Long said.

“It was a special time and something I will cherish, the games were great, but also to be back home was an awesome feeling and a good experience for the club to get out into different communities.

“The link between the club and Darwin is strong, hopefully that continues going into the future, the NT loves footy and to have games there is important in bringing the community together.

“It’s important for the NT and the community up there for Darwin to host AFL games, and for us boys it’s the best time in the calendar because you play in front of friends and family.”

Long has only played one match for the AFL side in 2024, the 115-67 loss to the Bulldogs in Round 2, but has been working hard since to get back into the side.

He has moved back into the forward line in his VFL appearances and has scored 11 goals from just three appearances, ranking joint second in the league.

It’s a run of performances that will have him back in the sights of new Suns coach Damien Hardwick, whose methodology has the AFL side sitting ninth after seven games, with four wins.

And for Long it’s about putting himself in the frame for main squad selection and on the plane to the Top End for the games in Darwin.

“I’ve finally played some consistent VFL games the past few weeks and I’ve been playing well,” he said.

“I’ve just got to keep putting my foot forward and just waiting to take advantage of when the opportunity comes with both hands, but I’m just happy to be playing consistent footy.

“I’ve got on the end of a few goals, but there’s been some good team performances and we’re really playing well right now.

“I’m enjoying it, just getting back to that role, it’s just one of those things where I know I’m playing well and now waiting for my opportunity in the AFL.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back