Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

It's reached the point where I was amazied Chol didn't get reported for that knee to the back of the head while he was attempting a 'speccie'. If the guy had got a concussion, I shudder to think what would have happened.
TBF a knee in the head in that situation will do a lot more damage than a glancing blow from an arm.

It's reached the point where I was amazied Chol didn't get reported for that knee to the back of the head while he was attempting a 'speccie'. If the guy had got a concussion, I shudder to think what would have happened.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I absolutely think that a knee to the back of the head should be a suspension. Same as the bump. If you choose to high mark you assume the risk that comes with it. I like footy, but brain damage is high price to pay for a highlight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know I’m in the minority here, but I absolutely think that a knee to the back of the head should be a suspension. Same as the bump. If you choose to high mark you assume the risk that comes with it. I like footy, but brain damage is high price to pay for a highlight.

Don't play then. Plenty of non contact sports out there like Marbles. The game is becoming a shadow of its former self.

Don't play then. Plenty of non contact sports out there like Marbles. The game is becoming a shadow of its former self.
Silly comment, IMO. People have different opinions. No need to bring Marbles. How about chess :)

Somebody could tell you the same. Don't play, don't watch if you miss old times. Play/watch UFC/boxing instead.

It's your choice but the game has never been more popular. Record crowds attended Opening round. Most people enjoy today's game despite changing rules.

I did watch some games from 90s. Absolute s**t games. Players trying to kill each other. What's to like?

Watching games live from boundary, one realizes how tough is today's game. The contacts are at high speed. Players have never been stronger and faster. I, personally, don't watch games to see Maynard polishing Brayshaw and ending his career or Webster almost killing Simpkin.

Just look at the number of injuries due to speed, strength and number of concussions. It's only question of time when there will be compulsory 4 weeks break for concussions as science progresses. Do you want half of the team ending up on the sideline and a lot of players ending their careers early? Lawsuits are happening. A lot of parents are hesitant to let kids play.

Just look at Wally Lewis brain scan to see what multiple concussions did to his brain.

1712186461019.png
Just awful. I can't imagine this would be my daughter. Anything the game can do to limit concussions is needed. That's the future, like it or not.

Players adjust to rules. Look at how players tackle now. Do you really miss players slamming each other into a ground?

Most commentators adjusted their views. Most fans adjusted too. Sellout crowds at Gather round.

Last edited:
Silly comment, IMO. People have different opinions. No need to bring Marbles. How about chess :)

Somebody could tell you the same. Don't play, don't watch if you miss old times. Play/watch UFC/boxing instead.

It's your choice but the game has never been more popular. Record crowds attended Opening round. Most people enjoy today's game despite changing rules.

I did watch some games from 90th. Absolute s**t games. Players trying to kill each other. What's to like?

Watching games live from boundary, one realizes how tough is today's game. The contacts are at high speed. Players have never been stronger and faster. I, personally, don't watch games to see Maynard polishing Brayshaw and ending his career or Webster almost killing Simpkin.

Just look at the number of injuries due to speed, strength and number of concussions. It's only question of time when there will be compulsory 4 weeks break for concussions as science progresses. Do you want half of the team ending up on the sideline and a lot of players ending their careers early? Lawsuits are happening. A lot of parents are hesitant to let kids play.

Just look at Wally Lewis brain scan to see what multiple concussions did to his brain.

View attachment 1949156
Just awful. I can't imagine this would be my daughter. Anything the game can do to limit concussions is needed. That's the future, like it or not.

Players adjust to rules. Look at how players tackle now. Do you really miss players slamming each other into a ground?

Most commentators adjusted their views. Most fans adjusted too. Sellout crowds at Gather round.
Well said.

As someone who grew up watching rugby I'm amazed that so few players wear head gear or "helmets" as they are seem to be called. Are players that wear them considered soft?

Well said.

As someone who grew up watching rugby I'm amazed that so few players wear head gear or "helmets" as they are seem to be called. Are players that wear them considered soft?
As someone growing up playing rugby union, head gear does nothing.
We mostly wore them to stop the ears rubbing in the scrums

I did watch some games from 90th. Absolute s**t games. Players trying to kill each other. What's to like?

View attachment 1949156

Agreed. Not sure I could have typed so succinctly

As someone growing up playing rugby union, head gear does nothing.
We mostly wore them to stop the ears rubbing in the scrums
That's why they were called "Scrum caps" before "Headgear" became a thing.

I wore headgear growing up, It may have had some effect taking the sting out of some knocks but who's to say how effective they are.

Problem is these days kids wear one and think they're bulletproof. It becomes like American Football where the head gets used as a weapon as opposed to thinking of protection.

I did watch some games from 90s. Absolute s**t games. Players trying to kill each other. What's to like?

View attachment 1949156

Happy to agree to disagree....safe in the knowledge that I'm not alone. Let's see how things progress over the next 10 years or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why they were called "Scrum caps" before "Headgear" became a thing.

I wore headgear growing up, It may have had some effect taking the sting out of some knocks but who's to say how effective they are.

Problem is these days kids wear one and think they're bulletproof. It becomes like American Football where the head gets used as a weapon as opposed to thinking of protection.

I never wore headgear and was a blindside flanker so I was forever concussed in my last season of rugby. I had 8 in 14 months. Prior to my first I had none in 12 years of playing. I’m all for protecting the head in all sports. As a young male when it happened headgear or no headgear we just need more research and awareness at a younger age of the repercussions. WWE is a prime example of change after a few incidents regarding concussions.

Gold Coast Suns Tate Kaesler on Sportsday SA
Sportsday SA

Gold Coast Suns head of development, Tate Kaesler joined Blighty and Wilds ahead of their Gather Round clash against the Giants!

The FIVEAA Sports Show

INTERVIEW: Charlie Ballard - 05 April 2024

Dimma’s ‘80 per cent of premiership team is already here’ statement is looking good

“I believe what Damien Hardwick said in August last year about his Gold Coast squad and I saw more evidence of it this week than any other.

“He made selection statements on the weekend and he dropped some players that had been mainstays.

“Three first gamers in Ethan Read, Sam Clohesy and Will Graham. Add that to Bodhi Uwland, who played three games the year before but has basically become a mainstay. (Sam) Flanders, who played 44 over four years, only 11 games on average in his first four years but became a mainstay after Stuart Dew stepped out late last year… Mac Andrew, who played 21 games over the first two years but will become a mainstay and played a breakout game.

“Bailey Humphrey of course is just in his second year, Brayden Fiorini, Malcolm Rosas and Thomas Berry were a couple of others who have been fringe players in the past. That’s half of your team that has been either fringe or not there in recent years that are now looking like established players in this team.

“Add to that Jack Lukosius, Sam Collins, Charlie Ballard, Ben Ainsworth, Matt Rowell, Touk Miller, Jarrod Witts, Noah Anderson, Nick Holman, Ben King, they’re the power, the established players who Hardwick is going to build around.

“The new dawn for the Suns has arrived, they’re a very different team, coached very differently, players that might have been on the outer are on the inside now and there are different attributes that are being rewarded by a different coach who is looking to play a different way.

“I think Gold Coast are going to be an altogether different challenge for teams as they go through their next couple of months and by the end of the year they’ll be almost unrecognisable, and that might be enough to get them to the finals.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back