Stuart Graham - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

We waste so much energy trying to lock the ball in our forward line, not really caring how we get it in there, are piss poor at ground level, and poor at conversion, that we are hitting high fatigue levels and start to drop our heads late in the quarter, and so the oppo can slice thru our high press and have plenty of space in their forward line and score easy goals from right in front and usually from the goal square.

I told Ford at Alberton at one of the trials this year, I have to keep some stats on goal square conversion because our oppo seems to kick a lot more goals than us from the goal square over a season. I have been too lazy to keep these stats, but my eyes tell me nothing has really changed.

Have a look at the 1st quarter against the Saints. Those piss poor missed shots we had, meant we wasted energy and we lost the enthusiastic energy generated that comes from kicking goals.

Kick a goal from a set shot and you get about a minutes rest by the time the ball is bounced after the goal is signalled. Kick a goal and everyone is buzzing and up and about. During the 30 seconds our player is taking to kick a set shot the oppo can set up to get the ball out of our forward 50 from a miss by us and their kick in.

Kick a 5th or 6th point for the quarter, or more, late into the quarter, and say a 3rd or 4th consecutive one, from a straight forward shot, you don't get that extra rest, you have to run to a defensive position, the goal shooter drops his head, others drop their head, bloody hell we missed an easy shot again goes thru most players head, and if the oppo are on the ball, they know they can move the ball thru our high press as the oxygen has just been sucked out of us.

My mate who I played footy with, is Port supporter, was over from Sydney so we caught up for a meal and talked a lot of footy before, during and after the match.

After the game we came to the conclusion we are a frustrating team to watch because we work too bloody hard to kick goals and don't kick enough, given how much of the ball we get into our forward line. We waste energy early in the quarter, early in games, don't put the score on the board, and when you have less petrol in the tank, we leave ourselves exposed to be scored against late in quarters and games.

When we were 29 pts up against Collingwood in the 2nd quarter we proceeded to kick 3 shots on goal and all went out on the full, whilst Collingwood kicked a goal in that time frame. If those had been goals, and yes everything else had to stay equal, we would have been 41 pts up and a completely different equation as we had the momentum and it was past the half way point of the quarter.

You can only train players so much to have a peak energy / fitness level. You can't push them past that point. If we are close to that point and then came game day we waste so much of that energy we have, because of an inefficient and average effectiveness game plan, that wont change, then we can't really improve our fitness levels that much.
Look at Geelong and Sydney as examples.

Uber efficient in the way they are structured up, and their first-choice game plans epitomise an economy of effort, and are sustainable. Then they also have back up plans 'B' and 'C' to fall back on, if the worst comes to worse.

It's true that we waste effort and energy coping with a disjointed cow paddock of a game plan, which is flawed, leads to mistakes and taking shots on goal from awkward angles, etc. And with no coherent back up game plans in the event of a catastrophe!

Watch the better sides tackle, so there are less chances for blokes to get their arms free and give off an outlet handball. We tackle the hips, not pin the arms, hence the oppo get the ball away from the tackle point.

Good sides make space, and their guys walk into that space to get a pass in front of them and on the chest. Easy kicks and little energy expenditure. We stand like bollards, and basically give our guys no option but a high dump kick onto a team mate's head, in a contested situation, because there are no acres of space to lead into.

Good sides have one grab players who move the ball on quickly and efficiently. We fumble, drop easy marks, fall over for no reason, and put ourselves under pressure - which leads to errant disposals. Then we have to chase the oppo back extra times and use up fuel.

Better sides always know where their team mates are. They run to designated spaces, so a "blind" disposal isn't really that at all, and why it usually ends up in a team mate's hand. We have to spot up team mates first before we get rid of the ball, because we just run anywhere we want to, instead of to a formulated strategy.

Just dumb strategically, and poorly coached and skilled. Good sides have efficient systems. We don't. It's a fundamentally simple game, but we over complicate things way too much. Get to the base level of why we are so frustrating to watch and why results aren't what we would expect, and start from scratch, and I reckon you'd see a quantum leap in improvement.

We aren't using our players' strengths to their best advantage so often it's not funny.

We waste so much energy trying to lock the ball in our forward line, not really caring how we get it in there, are piss poor at ground level, and poor at conversion, that we are hitting high fatigue levels and start to drop our heads late in the quarter, and so the oppo can slice thru our high press and have plenty of space in their forward line and score easy goals from right in front and usually from the goal square.

I told Ford at Alberton at one of the trials this year, I have to keep some stats on goal square conversion because our oppo seems to kick a lot more goals than us from the goal square over a season. I have been too lazy to keep these stats, but my eyes tell me nothing has really changed.

Have a look at the 1st quarter against the Saints. Those piss poor missed shots we had, meant we wasted energy and we lost the enthusiastic energy generated that comes from kicking goals.

Kick a goal from a set shot and you get about a minutes rest by the time the ball is bounced after the goal is signalled. Kick a goal and everyone is buzzing and up and about. During the 30 seconds our player is taking to kick a set shot the oppo can set up to get the ball out of our forward 50 from a miss by us and their kick in.

Kick a 5th or 6th point for the quarter, or more, late into the quarter, and say a 3rd or 4th consecutive one, from a straight forward shot, you don't get that extra rest, you have to run to a defensive position, the goal shooter drops his head, others drop their head, bloody hell we missed an easy shot again goes thru most players head, and if the oppo are on the ball, they know they can move the ball thru our high press as the oxygen has just been sucked out of us.

My mate who I played footy with, is Port supporter, was over from Sydney so we caught up for a meal and talked a lot of footy before, during and after the match.

After the game we came to the conclusion we are a frustrating team to watch because we work too bloody hard to kick goals and don't kick enough, given how much of the ball we get into our forward line. We waste energy early in the quarter, early in games, don't put the score on the board, and when you have less petrol in the tank, we leave ourselves exposed to be scored against late in quarters and games.

When we were 29 pts up against Collingwood in the 2nd quarter we proceeded to kick 3 shots on goal and all went out on the full, whilst Collingwood kicked a goal in that time frame. If those had been goals, and yes everything else had to stay equal, we would have been 41 pts up and a completely different equation as we had the momentum and it was past the half way point of the quarter.

You can only train players so much to have a peak energy / fitness level. You can't push them past that point. If we are close to that point and then came game day we waste so much of that energy we have, because of an inefficient and average effectiveness game plan, that wont change, then we can't really improve our fitness levels that much.

You make a strong case mate. If you had the power to tweak the game plan what adjustments would you make to our current structure & game plan?

That’s a fair call.

That’s fair. And definitely with you on us playing a tiring and fatiguing brand of footy.

I’m surprised we haven’t adapted and incorporated a more lazy late in quarter zone. Something that would allow us to refresh. And not leak goals.

I would be intrigued to see when we miss most goals, I would guess it’s actually early in quarters so we can’t blame fatigue for them.

The other factor is the heavy injury toll to our juniors. Are we not good at physical developing the young guys?

You make a strong case mate. If you had the power to tweak the game plan what adjustments would you make to our current structure & game plan?
Sorry for the late reply, I started it last night but got onto other things.

We need to lead more at the guy with the ball. Our forwards, especially KPFs, must demand his teammate kicks it to him on a lead a lot more often than they do.

Finlayson is bloody annoying that he leads backwards into space looking for a cheapie possession, and it usually means a 60m to 70m kick has to be executed, whereas if he leads, it might end up being a 40m kick.

Finlayson spends too much time playing from behind his opponent, even from a centre bounce. That is BS forward craft.

Marshall does the same thing, but not as much as he used to, and Georgiades frustratingly did it a couple of times on Friday night, who generally is great at leading hard at the kicker.

We have some great long field kicks coming out of defence or thru the middle, Farrell, Burton, Bergman, Jones, Houston, Mckenzie when he plays etc.

But they all put the ball up high when they are pushing to do a 50-60m kick. The more hang time, the more chance there is for one or more defenders to get back and spoil or third man in intercept mark that you see Tom Stewart do so often for Geelong and Aliir in the past for us. Don't know if its because Esava and BZT are playing for us this year, but he doesn't seem to be taking as many as those sort of marks this year.

I wish some of our great kicks would do more low bullet like passes. Houston and Farrell have done it regularly over 20-25m but I'd like to see more of it over 40-45m.

I know I'm dreaming but I'd like to see the stab kick come back. Unlike the drop kick, it forces you to kick the ball hard and low, whereas a drop kick is high, loopier and longer in the air if you connect properly.

I was at a club function two weeks ago and Boak was there taking questions and he said that he does droppies in the warm up in the changeroom and he and Robbie would kick to each other, with Robbie doing some sort of inside out spiral, that Boakie could never do properly.

Professional footballers should know how to do every kick in the book, and practice them, master doing them and use them in games. They all learn the drop punt and checkie, and all want to do the sexy Daicos dribble goal, but that's about it.

Look at Houston's torp on Friday night, it created a goal for Willie because the oppo misjudged it. Players should know how to do a torp, set shot or on the run, a flat punt and use it when its wet and/or a soggy ground where it becomes a territory game, a droppie and a stab kick as well.

Its a pity Russell Ebert has passed away, I've always wanted him to teach players how to do drop kicks and especially the AFLW girls because if the girls got it right, it means they might regularly do 40-45m kicks rather than 30m kicks and if you can successfully execute a droppie or stab kick on the run you can successfully execute any kick. Plus its great marketing. The commentators would be having regular football orgasms. Plus the girls could have said we do stuff the blokes can't do.

Back to changes. I get it that when we get a centre clearance and our player can only take 3 or 4 steps before getting tackled, he is going to bomb the ball into the forward 50, but when our centre players have time and space, or take a bounce, too often its a bomb when it should be a low hard pass.

Rozee's default kick out of the centre bounce down is a bomb, as is Drew's and Wines'. Butters you get the full 360 degree options, but the majority of kicks would be bombs. JHF lowers his eyes and goes for passes a lot of times when he thinks hes not in range.

I'd start Dixon on the arc at CHF or even get him to stand where the arc meets the boundary line to force our players not to bomb it to him when we win centre clearances. By forcing him to the boundary line, the dumber defenders would follow him there and there would be a lot of space for our guys to lead into.

And if we did try Dixon in either spot on the arc, drill into Finlayson's thick head, as well as Marshall and Georgieades that they have to play in front and give leading options - repeat, options - to the guy running and carrying the ball from centre clearance.

Edit and some one has to train our small forwards to understand what playing front and centre means if we are going to continue to play the bombing game.

22 years go Leigh Matthews was lauded as a genius because he was miked up for the 2002 GF and the Lips of Lethal was produced and late in the game he picks up the phone and says to the runner - Tell Aker to play in front of Lynchie - he does and Aker a couple of minutes later kicks the match winning goal. FFS I was taught that when I was playing underage footy and for the last 50 years or more you can go to watch a game in the Parklands and hear coaches giving that instruction to small forwards who play next to KPFs.

Last edited:

We need to lead more at the guy with the ball. Our forwards, especially KPFs, must demand his teammate kicks it to him on a lead a lot more often than they do.

Finlayson is bloody annoying that he leads backwards into space looking for a cheapie possession, and it usually means a 60m to 70m kick has to be executed, whereas if he leads, it might end up being a 40m kick.

Finlayson spends too much time playing from behind his opponent, even from a centre bounce. That is BS forward craft.

Marshall does the same thing, but not as much as he used to, and Georgiades frustratingly did it a couple of times on Friday night, who generally is great at leading hard at the kicker.

We have some great long field kicks coming out of defence or thru the middle, Farrell, Burton, Bergman, Jones, Houston, Mckenzie when he plays etc.

But they all put the ball up high when they are pushing to do a 50-60m kick. The more hang time, the more chance there is for one or more defenders to get back and spoil or third man in intercept mark that you see Tom Stewart do so often for Geelong and Aliir in the past for us. Don't know if its because Esava and BZT are playing for us this year, but he doesn't seem to be taking as many as those sort of marks this year.

I wish some of our great kicks would do more low bullet like passes. Houston and Farrell have done it regularly over 20-25m but I'd like to see more of it over 40-45m.

I know I'm dreaming but I'd like to see the stab kick come back. Unlike the drop kick, it forces you to kick the ball hard and low, whereas a drop kick is high, loopier and longer in the air if you connect properly.

I was at a club function two weeks ago and Boak was there taking questions and he said that he does droppies in the warm up in the changeroom and he and Robbie would kick to each other, with Robbie doing some sort of inside out spiral, that Boakie could never do properly.

Professional footballers should know how to do every kick in the book, and practice them, master doing them and use them in games. They all learn the drop punt and checkie, and all want to do the sexy Daicos dribble goal, but that's about it.

Look at Houston's torp on Friday night, it created a goal for Willie because the oppo misjudged it. Players should know how to do a torp, set shot or on the run, a flat punt and use it when its wet and/or a soggy ground where it becomes a territory game, a droppie and a stab kick as well.

Its a pity Russell Ebert has passed away, I've always wanted him to teach players how to do drop kicks and especially the AFLW girls because if the girls got it right, it means they might regularly do 40-45m kicks rather than 30m kicks and if you can successfully execute a droppie or stab kick on the run you can successfully execute any kick. Plus its great marketing. The commentators would be having regular football orgasms. Plus the girls could have said we do stuff the blokes can't do.

Back to changes. I get it that when we get a centre clearance and our player can only take 3 or 4 steps before getting tackled, he is going to bomb the ball into the forward 50, but when our centre players have time and space, or take a bounce, too often its a bomb when it should be a low hard pass.

Rozee's default kick out of the centre bounce down is a bomb, as is Drew's and Wines'. Butters you get the full 360 degree options, but the majority of kicks would be bombs. JHF lowers his eyes and goes for passes a lot of times when he thinks hes not in range.

I'd start Dixon on the arc at CHF or even get him to stand where the arc meets the boundary line to force our players not to bomb it to him when we win centre clearances. By forcing him to the boundary line, the dumber defenders would follow him there and there would be a lot of space for our guys to lead into.

And if we did try Dixon in either spot on the arc, drill into Finlayson's thick head, as well as Marshall and Georgieades that they have to play in front and give leading options - repeat, options - to the guy running and carrying the ball from centre clearance.

Edit and some one has to train our small forwards to understand what playing front and centre means if we are going to continue to play the bombing game.

22 years go Leigh Matthews was lauded as a genius because he was miked up for the 2002 GF and the Lips of Lethal was produced and late in the game he picks up the phone and says to the runner - Tell Aker to play in front of Lynchie - he does and Aker a couple of minutes later kicks the match winning goal. FFS I was taught that when I was playing underage footy and for the last 50 years or more you can go to watch a game in the Parklands and hear coaches giving that instruction to small forwards who play next to KPFs.
When you have s**t tactical coaches this stuff happens.

That is all that needs to be taken away from our game plan.

WE HAVE AVERAGE COACHES.

Thanks for the reply. If the long bombs don’t kill us, the low percentage leads into the pockets do. When I think of the best KPFs that have played for the club in my era, Scotty Hodges (pre AFL), Tredders & Jay Schulz, they are all predominantly lead up forwards. Dunstall, Plugger, Hawkins & Buddy are all the same.

You would think our forward 50 entries would be more proficient with the likes of Rozee, Butters, JHF, Houston & Farrell delivering the ball into the forward arch on a regular basis. Something is obviously broken, & most of us seem to think it originates from a dysfunctional game plan more than a personnel issue.

Thanks for the reply. If the long bombs don’t kill us, the low percentage leads into the pockets do. When I think of the best KPFs that have played for the club in my era, Scotty Hodges (pre AFL), Tredders & Jay Schulz, they are all predominantly lead up forwards. Dunstall, Plugger, Hawkins & Buddy are all the same.

You would think our forward 50 entries would be more proficient with the likes of Rozee, Butters, JHF, Houston & Farrell delivering the ball into the forward arch on a regular basis. Something is obviously broken, & most of us seem to think it originates from a dysfunctional game plan more than a personnel issue.

Are the players told to lead into the pockets?
Are the players told to kick to the pockets so that’s where the leads go?
If so, I’m presuming it’s about ensuring we retain the territory and aren’t easily rebounded against ie a mark or spoil over the boundary.
However this means we take more low percentage shots.

Or is it the players that are doing it? Ie game plan says kick to the best lead and we are leading or kicking to the pockets for some reason.

If this is the case, do we have dumb footballers? Are we fatigued into making bad decisions or that’s all we are capable off? Or are teams clogging the centre and forcing us wide?

Considering that we get wide inside 50 marks early and late in games, it doesn’t seem like a fatigue thing. Butters, JHF, Rozee, Houston, Farrell, etc are great kicks who have good vision, don’t think we have dumb footballers.

So I think it comes down to us playing a safe brand to retain position and not be easily rebounded against. Equally teams clog the centre and flood back. If we are quick, we can get marks anywhere, if we are held up or the defence holds their position, we only have wide leads available.

Contrast that to teams that score against us. Usually it’s quick turnovers and they score easily from straight in front. If our press gets out of place, too high, too narrow or hedged in to one side or an individual isn’t in the right spot, or if we don’t get into place quickly enough - we are easy to score against. Or if the inside fifty is too shallow. This is where the fatigue creeps in. We are the worst team at being scored against in red time (post 25 minutes). Surely this is where we need to adapt the game plan - maybe sit back and clog the centre and back line for the final five minutes of a quarter - less energy required, harder for the opposition to score.

idk I feel like I've been saying this since 2002, but we look puny again. Can really see it badly in the sanfl side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yell season 8 GIF

Just as an example, I watched the sanfl game yesterday and thought Charleson showed a bit, had 17 touches and kicked 2 goals, could easily have kicked 4.

He is the sort of player you would like to give a debut, but he looks like a schoolkid. How could he not look bigger than he did as an U18 player after a full pre-season on an AFL list?

Lorenz too, he has been showing good signs for the past 3 weeks, but you would fear for his safety at the top level.

Anastasopoulos too, although he's so slight, he's not really even ready to impact sanfl games.

Still think its the game plan. I would love to see match day GPS numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back