Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Brighton like Kingborough was when they joined the TSL.

Yerp it will be hard early.

But they have juniors in every grade, many quality senior players that have gone to say a Clarence in the past that may stay now.

With the highschool being built they will gain those boys that would have currently go to Newtown High and walk across to the bike track for training for NH.

They have a major advantage with their access to their ground.

I just believe it should be promotion/relegation every year.

Promo-Relegation - never ever! It's the best way to completely fxxx a professional sporting league and entrench a privileged few into positions of extended dominance.

I'd go so far as to have four teams up top, protected from demotion and with privileges - the entire point being that if you're going to design a league intended for elite pathways going higher, you have to protect that structure. A team sport takes time to develop team players, so there could be nothing more destructive for a pathway than constant demotion of teams...

Additionally, Tasmanians and travel...bloody hell, I had no idea what a road trip was until I was commuting between Brisbane and the GC three times a week when I moved up 28 years ago, and I've just accepted a job with a 60km distance every day thinking nothing of it...we used to think our uni lecturer was (even more) mad when we discovered he travelled to Newnham from Deloraine every day. In the north, a Scottsdale player might be discouraged from playing if his team was suddenly the only one in the old NEFU area, and he was playing old Esk teams every week...I could imagine a Dodges player thinking the journey to old Huon teams would be not so far short of that. If you've never lived outside of Tassie, you have no idea what a long distance is, but this issue is not solved through education, it's about accommodating. The lower divisions should be geographically aligned...throw in a few extra sides down below, and make it a Premier League structure (full S/R/U, just a few sides) supported by two equal lower divisions (just seniors, as many teams as you can get), NS or EW or whatever works...separate kids league or an U19's, whatever is most cost effective and gets tons of them onto the field...

The biggest issue facing all clubs is player retention, and in essence, you want the best players hanging out in a concentrated high performance environment, and the lower teams overloaded with players and not as many money worries. You will not get that if a concentrated environment team gets no chances to build a side because they got demoted, and the team that replaced them suddenly is getting slaughtered every week...a player exodus would happen for both teams...

True re Brighton High being built. They probably will get a lot of local kids getting involved if its run properly which sounds like it is.
One of my grandsons pals played at NN juniors and his dad reckoned it was a total dogs breakfast and run like a s–––show so he stopped playing footy.
I dont think promoting and relegating teams like the soccer would work either, Huonville and Cygnet wouldn't wanna play in a competition without each other in it. Too much rivalry to ignore.
I hear three teams were interested in the new league. Brighton, Claremont and Lindisfarne.
Claremont have gone to the pack and are a mess, so they werent considered good enough.
Lindisfarne got cold feet and pulled out of talks.
Brighton got the nod because of their new changerooms and fast growing area pretty much by the sound of it.
Heard NN are doing ok numbers wise not sure about quality, Hobart at best 50% chance of ever coming back is the strong tip I'm hearing (can't get enough numbers).

Promo-Relegation - never ever! It's the best way to completely fxxx a professional sporting league and entrench a privileged few into positions of extended dominance.

I'd go so far as to have four teams up top, protected from demotion and with privileges - the entire point being that if you're going to design a league intended for elite pathways going higher, you have to protect that structure. A team sport takes time to develop team players, so there could be nothing more destructive for a pathway than constant demotion of teams...

Additionally, Tasmanians and travel...bloody hell, I had no idea what a road trip was until I was commuting between Brisbane and the GC three times a week when I moved up 28 years ago, and I've just accepted a job with a 60km distance every day thinking nothing of it...we used to think our uni lecturer was (even more) mad when we discovered he travelled to Newnham from Deloraine every day. In the north, a Scottsdale player might be discouraged from playing if his team was suddenly the only one in the old NEFU area, and he was playing old Esk teams every week...I could imagine a Dodges player thinking the journey to old Huon teams would be not so far short of that. If you've never lived outside of Tassie, you have no idea what a long distance is, but this issue is not solved through education, it's about accommodating. The lower divisions should be geographically aligned...throw in a few extra sides down below, and make it a Premier League structure (full S/R/U, just a few sides) supported by two equal lower divisions (just seniors, as many teams as you can get), NS or EW or whatever works...separate kids league or an U19's, whatever is most cost effective and gets tons of them onto the field...

The biggest issue facing all clubs is player retention, and in essence, you want the best players hanging out in a concentrated high performance environment, and the lower teams overloaded with players and not as many money worries. You will not get that if a concentrated environment team gets no chances to build a side because they got demoted, and the team that replaced them suddenly is getting slaughtered every week...a player exodus would happen for both teams...
Couldn’t disagree more. Works in VIC.
So Huonville stuck in Div two smacking teams is ok?
Or Brighton stuck in Div 1 getting smacked is ok?
what happens if Nrighton never get good? Or Glenorchy? Or Huonville and Cygnet play for the next 10 flags?

Anyways can agree to disagree?

what happens if Nrighton never get good? Or Glenorchy? Or Huonville and Cygnet play for the next 10 flags?

No point posting if that's the go...

Brighton's job now is to get their s**t together and be worthy of the position they applied for. All teams are playing under the same conditions, and next year Huonville might suck. Cygnet did for an extended period up until a few years ago, they're on their second good SFL era, and Lindisfarne were the worst team in the SFL for the first part of this century. New Norfolk were untouchable for ten years after decades as an elite TFL team, and now are in danger of disappearing. Claremont fought them as an elite team before covid, and two years ago achieved the worst record I've ever seen from a senior side, as I research a book aiming to record every game ever played in Tasmania. WL is the least reliable indicator of league strength, silly as that sounds, and is never guaranteed in the long term. Hobart proves what happens when a league doesn't have direction, stability or common sense...you'd be hoping everyone approaches the next one with a more united vision...

Only three teams applied for the sixth position, so you'd assume most of the second division teams wouldn't want the job if they won a flag. You also need to allow an elite side to build a team up worthy of that status, because the point of an elite side is to keep the talent concentrated at the pointy end. The upheaval caused by compulsory axing and premature demotion would be ridiculous and counterproductive...

Hold on, Hobart’s plight is the league’s fault? 🤷🏼‍♂️😳
They have their own inadequacies, everyone does, but they were utterly shafted by the TFL more than once...that's who I was referring too, not the SFL...might not have been clear. Having said that, the eight years of the SFL before the TSL could have been run a lot better...here's hoping a longer time to get ready with an AFL side sitting on top of it all sees the whole state's footy galvanising...

The problem from my POV, was always how it was discussed.

When it was raised a decade ago, it was talked about having Div 1 as Seniors, Reserves, Colts, and Div 2 as Seniors and Reserves only. Div 2 team had a valid argument that stripping away colts, took away any talent pipeline they had.

The other discussion was Div 1 as Under 19's and Div 2 as Under 17's, which obviously made it hard for any of those teams to step up to Div 1 with underage players.

The other issue was clubs didn't want to lose traditional rivalries. Sorell/Dodges, Huonville/Cygnet.

There were too many competing interests.

I'm hearing that Hobarts training numbers are not that great. Anyone know if there is a cut off date for them to confirm they will field both seniors and reserves?
I believe December was the cut off but it’s been extended to mid Jan.

I could see them getting one team but I don’t see how they get two 😔

About 40 on the books but only about 15-20 training is the word getting about.
Got until about the second week in Jan to get approval from the SFL or they'll go into recess apparently.

Having only 40 odd interested and half not showing you would think that has to be unviable.

You need at a minimum 60 players for two teams. Yes 44 only play a week, but injuries and unavailability are common at this level.

They have no juniors or a community area to call their own. I think it’s going to be the end.

The worrying part is that there are still too many clubs even without Hobart for the amount of people that play. Hence you don’t have to show up to training as you know you will get a game once they come around.

Having only 40 odd interested and half not showing you would think that has to be unviable.

You need at a minimum 60 players for two teams. Yes 44 only play a week, but injuries and unavailability are common at this level.

They have no juniors or a community area to call their own. I think it’s going to be the end.

The worrying part is that there are still too many clubs even without Hobart for the amount of people that play. Hence you don’t have to show up to training as you know you will get a game once they come around.

They have announced two new signings tonight on their FB page, don’t know anything about them, they said one comes from a rugby background, both look young.

Has anyone heard how Claremont’s & New Norfolk are going this pre season, they where the two others along with Hobart who struggled last year ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Brown has stepped down as Claremont coach

Nathan Brown has stepped down as Claremont coach

A bloke told me at work today that Claremont are in more trouble than the early settlers.
Both their senior and ressies coaches have apparently tossed it in and they had about five at training???
Any news on Hobart? I heard before Xmas that the SFL were giving them until mid-Jan to show they had enough signed players training to make up two teams. That deadline must be pretty close.
If those two go there won't be enough teams to have seperate div's in the SFL they way it's going!!

A bloke told me at work today that Claremont are in more trouble than the early settlers.
Both their senior and ressies coaches have apparently tossed it in and they had about five at training???
Any news on Hobart? I heard before Xmas that the SFL were giving them until mid-Jan to show they had enough signed players training to make up two teams. That deadline must be pretty close.
If those two go there won't be enough teams to have seperate div's in the SFL they way it's going!!

Hobart have got 40-45 players signed for 2024. Not sure if that'll be enough though.

I’m hearing Hobart will go ahead but Claremont won’t?

Was there a condition on Hobart only Feilding one side last year that this season it has to be two ??

My Claremont mate said they are looking at Feilding a side and if they do it will be a ones side….. could be a long year if that’s the case

Was there a condition on Hobart only Feilding one side last year that this season it has to be two ??

My Claremont mate said they are looking at Feilding a side and if they do it will be a ones side….. could be a long year if that’s the case

The standard of the competition will be at an all time low this year.

There will be some enormous hidings handed out by the Huon clubs especially.

The standard of the competition will be at an all time low this year.

There will be some enormous hidings handed out by the Huon clubs especially.

Why do you think so many clubs, especially in the Northern suburbs are struggling so much. New Norfolk, Claremont, & also Glenorchy for that matter. Even add Hobart & North Hobart to that lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back