Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart advertising again, huonville still no coach? NN the same?
Yep, I was chatting with a Hobart fella during the week at work, he was saying they were about to sign their new coach and he frogs hissed off to Clarence, he was from Uni [I think].can't think.of his name.
New Norfolk and Huonville still haven't named anyone.

397618379_1011644473260823_3543634282776559470_n.jpg

Are they announcing the coach? How do you outline pre-season without a coach.

I think many clubs just can’t find people to coach. It’s not worth the 20k.
Spreyton just announced they are gone, can't find a coach and lost too many players.
East Devonport trying to come out of recess have a coach but can't get enough players, might not make it back onto the field.

I honestly believe that if clubs want to continue in some way they really need to look at amalgamation.

we are going to have more and more clubs struggle in the next few seasons.

I honestly believe that if clubs want to continue in some way they really need to look at amalgamation.

we are going to have more and more clubs struggle in the next few seasons.
Fully agree. Would raise the standard also.
We could lose 2 clubs and still would be double ups from 18s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a rumour that there were upto 10 ex Hobart players who had played a fair chunk of senior footy up there that were keen to go back, the president was told of this to try and secure them and didn't contact any of them and now they're all signed up at other clubs. Only just found this out from a mate who's son was one of them going to go back.

Heard a rumour that there were upto 10 ex Hobart players who had played a fair chunk of senior footy up there that were keen to go back, the president was told of this to try and secure them and didn't contact any of them and now they're all signed up at other clubs. Only just found this out from a mate who's son was one of them going to go back.
That’s a bit strange isn’t it? I wonder how the numbers are looking for them. Hopefully can get two sides

Hobart will really struggle to get two sides. If they only get one side again will they play in the ones or twos?
I heard that they had to field a senior side in 2024, seen on Facebook that one of their better players Lachy Plummer signed with a Myrtleford over in Melbourne.

Played TSL according to the Myrtleford post he’s shared. Well, he would have if he wasn’t incredibly lazy. Hope I’m wrong for the kid’s sake, but he threatens to be one of the all time great wastes of talent unless he develops a liking for hard work.

Thoughts gents?
I reckon it'll be a failure just like last time.
Haven't won a flag in decades and when they stepped up last time they didn't win a game for about 3 or 4 years.
Nice new changerooms seems to be the criteria to get in obviously.

Attachments

• 20231208_133849.jpg
    20231208_133849.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 38
Thoughts gents?
I reckon it'll be a failure just like last time.
Haven't won a flag in decades and when they stepped up last time they didn't win a game for about 3 or 4 years.
Nice new changerooms seems to be the criteria to get in obviously.
I have a good mate that's tied up with them that told me during the season that they were being heavily targeted and had shown interest at board level to join the new Premier League, so it's not a surprise.

As it stands now, neither Hobart or New Norfolk are in any position to play at that level.
Cygnet and Huonville Lions are absolutely not interested and I'm not sure Lindisfarne are either for that matter.

The original SFL Premier League setup in 2002 was Clarence, Glenorchy, North Hobart, Hobart, New Norfolk, Brighton, Kingston (Kingborough) and Sorell.

Sorell pulled out in the 2002/03 off season after being unable to form a committee and sat out the 2003 season, whereby they resumed in 2004 in the Regional League and their position in the Premier League was filled by Lauderdale who had just stitched up an AFL partnership with Essendon.

Brighton had actually made the 2001 preliminary final when the SFL was a 15-team competition and consisted of five former TFL clubs but didn't have a particularly good setup underneath, and eventually when their good players from that 1996-2001 era when they were up the top part of the ladder in those years either retired or moved on, they had nothing coming through underneath and they fell in a screaming heap for years and years after and have still never reached those heights again.

My guess is that their junior setup seems to have been quite successful in recent years and appear to have quite large numbers so that's likely the reasoning behind it.
Whether or not they'll be able to keep up with the likes of the former TSL sides is anyone's guess, personally I can't see them playing finals for a fair few years yet.

So it seems that the Premier League would contain Clarence, Lauderdale, North Hobart, Kingborough, Glenorchy and Brighton.

The Regional League would contain New Norfolk, Hobart, Claremont, Lindisfarne, Dodges Ferry, Sorell, Cygnet and Huonville Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back