Should we change Australia Day from the 26th?

Should Australia Day be changed from the 26th to something else?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just change the date, we got a day off today, who actually celebrated on Saturday?
How did you celebrate?
What the **** are we actually celebrating anyway?
If it appeases our First Nations peoples and makes them feel more included and apart of the future of our country, then the better off we are all moving forward.
If you disagree, you’re an idiot!

Just change the date, we got a day off today, who actually celebrated on Saturday?
How did you celebrate?
If it appeases our First Nations peoples and makes them feel more included and apart of the future of our country, then the better off we are all moving forward.
I celebrated by smashing so many bundies that my liver nearly failed.. then I celebrated the diversity of our great nation by smashing a HSP for dinner... then I crashed a party because the one that we were at fizzled out and then realised it was a 17yo bday so I hung out with the dad inside and did a bunch of shots!! Not a bad dude actually. Thanks for asking. How dod you celebrate?

I celebrated by smashing so many bundies that my liver nearly failed.. then I celebrated the diversity of our great nation by smashing a HSP for dinner... then I crashed a party because the one that we were at fizzled out and then realised it was a 17yo bday so I hung out with the dad inside and did a bunch of shots!! Not a bad dude actually. Thanks for asking. How dod you celebrate?
Saturday?
I was a bit hungover, after a few friends unexpectedly popped over Friday night and smashed a few bevies and some charles.
Went to a little market in Beauty Park in Franga, had a few more bevies and lines, played euka with the missus and crashed out at some point.
Totally missed the entire “Straya Day” concept, only noticed it when we saw a couple of young dudes taping flags to utes in the Maccas carpark as we were getting a couple of frozen psycho drinks for the kids!
Went to Bushrangers Bay yesterday to watch doofus’ get washed along the rocks as the incoming tide sent in a few bigger than the norm sets into the rock pools, I laughed and felt a tad sorry for a couple of bruised and cut up arses of our lovely international friends with no ****ing idea of the actual power of the southern ocean.

To many non-Indigneous and Indigenous 26th January marks colonisation and the invasion of the countries that make up what is now called Australia. It’s not that hard to understand.

Pretty certain this thread exists on SRP...

Still, it hardly surprises me to see a Hawf supporter advocating that the date remain the same considering that club's historic attitude to Indigenous players. :$

Europeans moved in and colonised the place, we essentially took the country from the Indigenous people. Yes, in hindsight it's pretty bad, but that's how things were done back then and there's no coming back from that, doesn't mean we need to rub their noses in it every year though.

Like, who is actually that attached to Australia Day really? 90% of people here would just treat it as an excuse to have a BBQ, sink piss, and maybe hit the beach. Moving it to any other day in January doesn't actually impact that, yet people get so b***hurt over a (pretty flimsy) historical date.

Hopefully when we finally become a Republic our government at the time is smart enough (yes, I know) to pass the legislation on a different date and tie us to that.

There's an old saying that goes " give them an inch and they'll take a mile".

That's how these ******* left wing morons operate.

So best to fight them for the inch than let them take the mile.

We should change it from the 26th of January (the day the first fleet arrived a Port Jackson) to something that means more than the docking of a ship. It would make sense to celebrate the date first blood was drawn between white man and indigenous, as it symbolizes the start of our conquest as a nation.

Plenty of blood had been spilled in violent conflicts before the Poms arrived. No point singling out a day like many other days before it.

It's clear that you flogs aren't going to reach an agreement on this, so here's what you should do instead.
Everybody should get one "get out of work free" card a year to use as they see fit. You take the day off to celebrate a moment in your own Australian history, like the day Great Uncle Giovanni opened the first Chicken Parma shop, or that time Old Maggie O'Reilly fought off Govt flogs who were trying to shut down her home distillery.
That way you remember the heritage that brought you to the great new land, and celebrate the life you have now.

How did you celebrate?

I'll pick this one at random as an entry point.

Every time this subject comes up, I think of an interview I heard with one of the indigenous elders of Cooktown. Yeah, that Cook.

Cooktown goes a bit over the top on Australia day, to say the least. But both the indigenous population and the broader community have an understanding of reconciliation that seems to escape most Australians.

Cook's crew and the local indigenous people had a blue over something, and then had a sit down to sort it out. To this day, the descendants of both "sides" are immensely proud of that. They name landmarks and build statues to honor this first act of reconciliation.

Anyway, back to the interview. Prince William had just accepted an invitation to Cooktown. The indigenous elder was thrilled; saying that the British Government and Royal Family were part of it at the beginning, and should be now.

That's what reconciliation is. Not turning away from the past, not perpetual hand wringing and shaming, not endless backdated resentment, not tokenistic gestures. What reconciliation SHOULD be is embracing the past as our past, warts and all. THen moving forward together.

I'll pick this one at random as an entry point.

Every time this subject comes up, I think of an interview I heard with one of the indigenous elders of Cooktown. Yeah, that Cook.

Cooktown goes a bit over the top on Australia day, to say the least. But both the indigenous population and the broader community have an understanding of reconciliation that seems to escape most Australians.

Cook's crew and the local indigenous people had a blue over something, and then had a sit down to sort it out. To this day, the descendants of both "sides" are immensely proud of that. They name landmarks and build statues to honor this first act of reconciliation.

Anyway, back to the interview. Prince William had just accepted an invitation to Cooktown. The indigenous elder was thrilled; saying that the British Government and Royal Family were part of it at the beginning, and should be now.

That's what reconciliation is. Not turning away from the past, not perpetual hand wringing and shaming, not endless backdated resentment, not tokenistic gestures. What reconciliation SHOULD be is embracing the past as our past, warts and all. THen moving forward together.
Fair enough, when they start teaching the actual history of the British attempted genocide our indigenous, then you and I can begin the conversation of reconciliation.
Until then, change the ****ing date and put a bullet in Scott Morrison’s evangelical jeebus zombie brain.
Actually, let’s just start with my last statement and work backwards.

Fair enough, when they start teaching the actual history of the British attempted genocide our indigenous, then you and I can begin the conversation of reconciliation.
Until then, change the ******* date and put a bullet in Scott Morrison’s evangelical jeebus zombie brain.

Always nice to come across a person who is prepared to respect and consider ideas outside their own operating system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always nice to come across a person who is prepared to respect and consider ideas outside their own operating system.
I know, I love Scotty, I just think he’d look better with half of his brains splattered all over some ridiculous evangelical church alter.
I might even offer his family some aids as compensation!👍

Until then, change the ******* date and put a bullet in Scott Morrison’s evangelical jeebus zombie brain.

Can you provide the source to official documents calling for the systematic removal of all indigenous people from the continent of Australia at the time?

That's what's required as proof of your claim. Not just your myopic interpretation of events.

It's so stupid how they stopped us from climbing Ayers Rock. **** those pricks

There is not a white person on the planet that doesn't have mixed blood in one way shape or form.
Even before the Vikings, the British were slaves to the Irish, the Irish were slaves to the British later on.
The patron saint of Ireland St Patrick was a slave that brought Christianity to the Irish Celtic tribes.

There is not a white person on earth alive today that does not have ancestors that were once slaved at one point in time.
So no i do feel guilty, I only have control over myself, not control over you or my ancestors.
Whether they were slave owners or slaves themselves.

Bottom line here, humans can be campaigners, so don't be one and treat all people with respect.

EAB3671F-7B06-40B6-8616-B5F63EC647D5.jpeg

Every year the same old debate.

**** it gets tiresome.

I don’t even care anymore, change it, don’t change it - I don’t care, just shut up with this discussion every time.

Let’s just not have a national day, then we can be sure this ****en debate isn’t played out every year.

Mods divvy this shit.

When will indigenous understand the celebration actually is about conquering them in battle and winning the land and not about "national pride". They lost they stop sooking and suck it up

2 formidable races. Head to head. One lightyears ahead in technology, the other more skilled in battle. But only one could win. It was a competition at the end of the day and only one team could receive the ultimate glory

No one wants to feel guilty, no one wants you to stop celebrating on this day. What people want is Australia to be changed so they can celebrate Australia Day.

Overall I’m pretty happy that I was born here. The nanny state annoys me though, but all too often patriotism breeds pride and ignorance which in turn breeds bias. Bias is what keeps us blind.

1579910713826.gif

Let’s just not have a national day
Because a bunch of serial complainers who were here for 40,000 years yet built nothing have been sooking ever since about how "their" country was taken away because they were too weak & primitive to defend it?

Well they're more than welcome to join us in celebrating the magnificent civilization we've built. Really its a pretty simple choice they have, either obsess over a past injustice which is IMPOSSIBLE to rectify after 200 years, or focus on their future property by assimilating themselves into the population which plenty of Aboriginals have done extremely successfully.

If we scrap our national day because 2% of the population is offended we're a country of soft-minded flunkies who deserve to be invaded by the Chinese or Indonesians, which would be irony indeed. We don't have any more God-given right to this land than the Aboriginals did.

Political Correctness is a cancer on this country.

Doesnt matter which day it is on, some will still complain, if you happily live in cities built predominantly by Europeans and enjoy the health and welfare benefits provided, then stop whinging you cant just pick and choose which bits of modern society you want.

Back