Women's Footy Season 7 - Pre-season - trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

B&F is done.
Season starts in august.
Gil expecting the new CBA to be sorted by the end of the week.

Going to be a whirlwind trade period, before an early draft. Preseason training due to start relatively soon as well.

I’m expecting us to hold position this year, a few big losses to the list, an extra year of development into the young crew.

Should be Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Freo and north again.

I too expect us to hold position as long as we get an even share of new clubs to play and aren't matched up against the likes of Melbourne, Brisbane, North etc when a club like Carlton might play the expansion sides when they are finding their feet with twelve teenagers in the team each week.

List changes summary
Reserved for changes, trades etc.
(Whenever we get around to it)

So far

Out: Houghton, Cain, Stewart, Toth, Mcmahon

Potential: Kantonio (??%)

In: Gore (Crows)

Potential: Sharp (60%) Duffy (15%)

Likely means we are going to the draft for 3 or 4 players, wonder what we will pick out

Last edited:

So far

Out: Houghton, Cain, Stewart, Toth, Mcmahon

Potential: Kantonio (??%)

In: Gore (Crows)

Potential: Sharp (60%) Duffy (15%)

Likely means we are going to the draft for 3 or 4 players, wonder what we will pick out

Some big outs for Freo, Best 22 Houghton, Cain, Stewart!

Tricky to replace I suspect..
100% will be less of a team than last season with the outs as it currently stands.

Franklin can step up for Houghton and reduce the lose.

Gore replaces Cain, got a feeling we might make even with that.

Stewart was in and out of the team, easily replaced.

If we can get Morrison on the park, and Duffy playing and Sharp fit, then we might be a better team than last year.

100% will be less of a team than last season with the outs as it currently stands.

Franklin can step up for Houghton and reduce the lose.

Gore replaces Cain, got a feeling we might make even with that.

Stewart was in and out of the team, easily replaced.

If we can get Morrison on the park, and Duffy playing and Sharp fit, then we might be a better team than last year.

Our new draft picks generally come on pretty quick, so hopefully this years batch will be no exception.

Last edited:
In reality, we should hold our place in the pack if there are no real injuries, and no more players moving clubs. From what I've seen, North and Melbourne haven't lost too many players, but Adelaide and Brisbane have. Would expect Melbourne to perhaps be favourites for the flag. The improvement at Freo has to come from the next tier of players down. It would be good to see Roxy, Easty and co take another step forward. I reckon there is still a lot of upside to Roxy if she can get the ball more. With Steph Cain gone we really need to find another winger, Gore is more an inside player. To replace Gemma as a leading forward will be difficult - even though she was down a bit this year, she took the number one defender and still put a large effort in.

I don't think Sharpy and Sabreena Duffy look likely this year, though with the new pay deal reported, who knows.

Finally!

Key dates for AFLW season 7

• AFLW Expansion Signing Period 24 May 2022
  • Sign and Trade Period 31 May 2022
  • NAB AFLW Draft 29 June 2022
  • Pre-season commences 13 June 2022
  • Season Commences, 25-27 August 2022*
  • Finals commences, 4-6 November 2022*
  • NAB AFLW Grand Final, Weekend of 25-27 November 2022*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in two minds about the 10 H&A + 4 F. Seems absurd to have a finals series with a run time equivalent to more than a third of the H&A season. But from previous seasons, the sides outside the finals contenders are relatively rubbish, so this structure allows the better teams to play more games.

Looking forward to when it builds to a full season — though why the goal is an 18 round H&A rather than 17, I'm not sure. Rivals round?

I'm in two minds about the 10 H&A + 4 F. Seems absurd to have a finals series with a run time equivalent to more than a third of the H&A season. But from previous seasons, the sides outside the finals contenders are relatively rubbish, so this structure allows the better teams to play more games.

Looking forward to when it builds to a full season — though why the goal is an 18 round H&A rather than 17, I'm not sure. Rivals round?
Likely a bye round/s like the mens.

I'm guessing 18 means 9 home / 9 away matches making the season fairer I suppose. Also for the clubs outside Victoria probably means home and away derby.

Pay rise ✔️
10 H&A games ✖️
Inevitable extreme fixture bias ✖️✖️✖️
Starting at the beginning of the AFLM finals - big f*n ✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️
When should they start ? They've scheduled round 1 for the pre-finals bye. I assume this is to give the season launch some clean air. Do you think it should be aligned between the AFLW and AFLM ?

When they move to a 17-18 game season (don't see the point in 22 games) then there will be more conflict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back