SEASON 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we honestly think we’ll get a season this year? We’d all love to see local footy up and running again, but unfortunately I can’t see this season happening.
If they did push the season out to a later finish (late Oct/mid Nov), does that mean next season starts late? Or keep the same start date with a lesser break between seasons?

The season is cooked. Anything cobbled together now would be Mickey Mouse and not be taken seriously.
Also how are clubs supposed to function without any revenue? There’s no way you will be able to allow enough people in to watch the games or hold meaningful functions.
Not to mention, speaking to a handful of players across a number of clubs and leagues they aren’t really interested in playing into October. This whole year has become a mess and best forgotten, move on and plan around next year.

AFL Victoria to wait on AFL’s proposed returning plans before making call

Local football will have to wait on what the plans for the AFL’s return looks like before grassroots dates are locked in, with all eyes on the May 11 deadline.

LOCAL football will wait and see what AFL plans looks like in mid-May before locking in a date for the ball to bounce.

Like most of the rest of the country, the AFL will wait until next month to see whether restrictions are eased after May 11, the earliest date the federal government will begin to relax COVID-19 enforced gathering rules.

Plans for the return of elite football will be revealed that week.

In a statement, Head of Community Football Victoria Stephen O’Donohue said AFL Victoria would wait until the AFL plans are announced before making any updates on the timing of the start of local seasons.

Initial plans from AFL Victoria were to release details on the return of the game later this month.

While that deadline has been pushed back, there is optimism that should restrictions be eased next month, concrete proposals could be put in place for football to return.

All competitions remain off until at least May 31, but if restrictions are drastically eased teams could potentially return to training before that date or very close to it.

O’Donohue wrote that governments had expressed keenness for grassroots sport to return.

“Pleasingly, governments across Australia are well aware that it will be vital for local sport to resume and reconnect support networks that are currently stretched or not operating,” he wrote.

"We continue to focus on being aligned with the advice of the government and the relevant medical authorities and are ensuring everything we do protects the health and safety of our participants and wider community.

“We look forward to being able to provide a more robust update to you following the planned elite game announcement in the second week of May.”

All leagues in Geelong have committed to waiting on advice from AFL Victoria before making plans to begin play.

I get everyone’s going bat$hit crazy ... well those doing what’s been asked of us are ha ha but I’d Still be surprised if basic level local footy gets going.
Lot more important things need to be ticked off first to get everyday life, as we will now know it, going again.

As much as many may not wanna hear it, the AFL need to commence first, which in turn offers the revenue stream required for all levels of the sport down the layers.
Likely that, for local leagues wanting to go early, financially it may be tough, even more so if something as basic as local councils blocking use of facilities remains in place.

The next announcement from Government in June will be key and there is no chance any league pulls the pin before June 30 and the transfer window closing as it opens their clubs up to be hit from surrounding leagues.

Crazy that AFL Vic opened it back up when there is no clear path to return. Possible disconnect between AFL Vic whom are thinking with their hip pockets and their leagues who are listening to their clubs.

IMO teams Train for a month and they tic the player engagement box before pulling the pin unless something changes.

The next announcement from Government in June will be key and there is no chance any league pulls the pin before June 30 and the transfer window closing as it opens their clubs up to be hit from surrounding leagues.

Crazy that AFL Vic opened it back up when there is no clear path to return. Possible disconnect between AFL Vic whom are thinking with their hip pockets and their leagues who are listening to their clubs.

IMO teams Train for a month and they tic the player engagement box before pulling the pin unless something changes.

Heathcote District Football Netball League over my way pulled the pin on their season today

Damned if you do Damned if ya don’t, poor buggers have been hounded they had to do something albeit it was never gunna suit everyone.

AFL VIC rolled out guidelines in accordance to Govt information I never saw an actual instruction for anyone to resume training

That is in fact an individuals choice to do with that info as they please

EFL and NFL officially gone for the year. Surely common sense prevails now and OE do the same. Enough is enough.

EFL and NFL officially gone for the year. Surely common sense prevails now and OE do the same. Enough is enough.

I hope that AFLOE makes decisions based on its own competition, and completely disregards what the EFL / NFL or any other competition does. If AFLOE clubs are keen to compete and think they can then let’s aim for it !

I hope that AFLOE makes decisions based on its own competition, and completely disregards what the EFL / NFL or any other competition does. If AFLOE clubs are keen to compete and think they can then let’s aim for it !

Wether they factor in what other leagues are doing is irrelevant.
The guidelines surrounding what needs to be done to get a game of footy on the paddock, which the likelihood is high that no one will see, are unrealistic.
The pressure on club volunteers is hard enough in the climate before Covid, with it places enormous pressure on them. Any sort of competition from here would be Mickey Mouse at best. Whilst I appreciate players disappointment there is a hell of a lot more that goes into getting games on the park every weekend than just blokes running out. One year without local footy isn’t going to kill anyone. Pull the pin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wether they factor in what other leagues are doing is irrelevant.
The guidelines surrounding what needs to be done to get a game of footy on the paddock, which the likelihood is high that no one will see, are unrealistic.
The pressure on club volunteers is hard enough in the climate before Covid, with it places enormous pressure on them. Any sort of competition from here would be Mickey Mouse at best. Whilst I appreciate players disappointment there is a hell of a lot more that goes into getting games on the park every weekend than just blokes running out. One year without local footy isn’t going to kill anyone. Pull the pin.

I am acutely aware of what’s required to put teams out on the ground each week. We have volunteers ready to go, we have a coaching staff that’s been planning for this and a playing group that will be fronting up next week. You call it Mickey Mouse, that’s your opinion, we dont think like that. We’re looking forward to playing at the highest level we possibly can, even if it’s for 9 weeks. It’s a mindset mate and we have it !
I will very politely disagree with you here !

Suprising that the two comps have pulled the pin so far out from the transfer window closing.. Puts their clubs in a difficult position.. Its open season now and if the mental health of players has been the catch cry then i doubt a transfer is being denied.

I am acutely aware of what’s required to put teams out on the ground each week. We have volunteers ready to go, we have a coaching staff that’s been planning for this and a playing group that will be fronting up next week. You call it Mickey Mouse, that’s your opinion, we dont think like that. We’re looking forward to playing at the highest level we possibly can, even if it’s for 9 weeks. It’s a mindset mate and we have it !

Tim, condescending does not suit you mate.
I’d suggest that dealing with the dynamic that a global health pandemic creates is a little more than a mindset.

Each club and each individual will have different circumstances that affect their ability to contribute. I don’t think it’s fair to just simply label it a “mindset” thing if clubs or individuals feel that not having a season is the best thing for them

Last edited:
Tim, OFCFNC is a leading club in the competition but I think there are other clubs across the league that are in a very different situation. It will be interesting to see what develops but my mail is AFLOE wont go ahead in 2020.

Last edited:
Hi all,

We will put out our return to play guidelines Friday Afternoon.

You will not see me post on here often (probably never again 😄), but important at the moment we keep everyone informed and updated and accurate information is provided. No decision has been made in regards to Outer East (Need a new Posty Guru)

Our messaging to clubs, coaches and the public has not deviated at any point and we will work through this next few weeks with clubs.

We will look to provide football and netball in some capacity this year, in what format will be clearer by June 23rd when we meet with Clubs.

Thank you all for you passion and enthusiasm for AFL Outer East Footy and Netball

Cheers

Aaron

Last edited:
Each club and each individual will have different circumstances that affect their ability to contribute. I don’t think it’s fair to just simply label it a “mindset” thing if clubs or individuals feel that not having a season is the best thing for them

All we’ve done is gone to everyone and say we’re going to have a crack at this year. If you’re in a position to do it then let’s go, if you’re not for whatever reason (not comfortable, can’t afford it etc) that’s fine, no pressure. That’s players and volunteers alike !

Maybe mindset wasn’t quite the right phrase to use, but whatever the case we’re definitely treating this as we do every other year and will push as hard as we can, think outside the box in every way we can until we’re told not to !

So in a way, it’s still somewhat based around a mindset ! That’s how I see it anyway...

From an outsiders perspective it seems like AFLOE have been one of the best communicators compared to other leagues during Covid19

Agree on that front, they have been excellent. Even the league CEO posted on here about how things were progressing. Well done to all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back