News Scott Lycett signs with Port Districts

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go back in the List Management thread I predicted Lycett to retire early in the year. I would have thought that Hayes plus a bridging player like Sweet would be our rucks until Visentini is ready to go. Now we have Soldo and Sweet where does that leave Visentini? I would have kept Lycett as a break glass option would have brought in Sweet but not Soldo.

His first three years for us were pretty solid but his body just packed it in the last two years unfortunately. Will always be a premiership player though, unlike the rest of our team who will never be bar Rioli and Soldo.
Hey
If Billy Frampton is there is hope for everyone

Jesus Christ. If that's all he's posting on his insta account about his retirement then just fn LOL. What a total dick.
Kane Cornes tier.

EDIT. I just checked his account and I take that back.

He has actually recognised both clubs with class.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how you work these mental gymnastics out in your head. But essentially your saying no lycett and we win the flag?

Ryder was pretty cooked in 2019. And I recall his body being very unreliable, coming off late in a couple crucial games, just not being there when we really needed him and in the one final he played in 2017 he got given a bath from the warmed up corpse of drew Petrie and Nathan vardy.

If Lycett retired from football the morning of the prelim we likely would have won the flag. That game was entirely lost at the stoppages. We had to launch every score from our back half against the best intercept/transition defence in the league.

He won his flag as a 2nd ruckman type. We signed him because he was a Port Magpies junior who wanted to come here. Bringing him over negatively affected Ryder, who always played better as a lead ruck, and we got stuck with a middling 2nd ruck type as our lead ruck for several years during a flag window, someone who unfortunately despite trying hard and always putting his body on the line, repeatedly let us down in big games.

If Lycett retired from football the morning of the prelim we likely would have won the flag. That game was entirely lost at the stoppages. We had to launch every score from our back half against the best intercept/transition defence in the league.

He won his flag as a 2nd ruckman type. We signed him because he was a Port Magpies junior who wanted to come here. Bringing him over negatively affected Ryder, who always played better as a lead ruck, and we got stuck with a middling 2nd ruck type as our lead ruck for several years during a flag window, someone who unfortunately despite trying hard and always putting his body on the line, repeatedly let us down in big games.
Not sure how having no Lycett would've helped us at stoppages though. Lycett didn't have his greatest night but what was the alternative? We had Ladhams too, but obviously he was poor too when he played in the ruck. After that what were our options? Dixon, who just so happened to be an all australian forward that year, so we would've been robbing Peter to pay Paul in a big way there.

We just got beaten by a bloody good team that night by 6 points, out of all our prelim final exits over the AFL journey that is the one that probably angers me the least about how we went about it. 2021 it was there for the taking and we were absolutely pathetic that night, and 2014 we should've definitely won that but we burnt way too many chances in front of goals, and how we didn't convert at least another GF from those 2002-03 teams is beyond me.

Had we won the 2020 prelim i don't think there are any guarantees we wouldn't s**t the bed against Geelong up in Queensland like we had done earlier in that year either.

To be fair, Ryder's 2018 season was a disaster as he got injured multiple times in game leaving us ruckless and robbing the forward line of Westhoff/Dixon to cover. We lost several games purely due to him going down.

Lycett was a safe workhorse option that had just won a premiership and was a free agent, so it was a no brainer to grab him. The problem was that Hinkley has no idea how to run a tandem ruck setup and use Ryder's strengths without running him into the ground.

I really wish we kept Paddy though, and seeing him destroy us in 2020 at Adelaide Oval was a dagger in the heart.

Lycett was an old warhorse whose body let him down in the end.
Played a block of good games from round 10-15 this season. A couple of his deft little taps over his back to butters v Geelong were beautiful.
Felt he was mismanaged, played injured too often which isn’t his fault
Probably time but sad he wasn’t managed better for finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back