Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Superbowl Monday faithful.

It's been a bit of a grind since Christmas, with the Ravens game (hopefully a good learning experience for the coaching team), locking up the bye in week 17, sending out the reserves in week 18, another week off, the rain at Levi against the Packers, the 1st half against the Lions and another week off.

The big knock on the team was that we couldn't overcome adversity and could only win front running - the 2 biggest games of our season needed late game poise - hopefully we've ti jed that box.

Aside from the obvious stuff for the keys to victory, (run the ball, don't turn it over, stop the run....) I think it's critical we don't settle for FGs if we have the ascendancy especially early in the game. I've we've got a 4th and 1 inside our half we need to go for it. I'm not saying FGs won't play a role, just that we don't want to be looking back having kept Mahomes in the game. Kyle you need to be bold today.

Aside from the obvious stuff for the keys to victory, (run the ball, don't turn it over, stop the run....) I think it's critical we don't settle for FGs if we have the ascendancy especially early in the game. I've we've got a 4th and 1 inside our half we need to go for it. I'm not saying FGs won't play a role, just that we don't want to be looking back having kept Mahomes in the game. Kyle you need to be bold today.

Yes, early in the game, it may be better to take a few more risks. Mahomes is going to move the ball down the field for scores - whether he needs 50 yards or 80-90 years may not make a difference. Got to trust the offence and go for it on 4th and 1. Which will open up play calling on 3rd and short, if we know we have two downs to make a first down.

Like all games, turnovers will be huge. I don't want to see special teams highlight plays like punt returns for scores, or fumbles on punt returns, or missed FGs... it's too stressful, and I still have Kyle Williams in my memory.

Whichever team stops the run will probably win. 49ers need to contain Pacheco and Mahomes, and double team Kelce. CMC needs 25+ carries, but KC will want the 49ers to fall behind and be forced to pass. KC wants to force the game into Purdy's hands - and make him need a MVP performance to win the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is tough at least I got to see us win in 88,89, 94.

Really thought this was our year.

My brother is a 49ers fan and is devastated. After that Lions game, the Defence were amazing but I feared they were going to run out of gas in the last 10 minutes or so. Going to overtime, it was set up for KC to win, particularly with Butker kicking the way he has.

That was the chance to win it - the roster was healthy, they had plenty of weapons and were in good form.

They didn't have enough points on the board early. Needed at least 14 or more ahead at half time considering how bad KC played.

Terrible luck with Greenlaw going down, feel like the whole team were flat after that.

Shanahan is really going to struggle now to get them back - three losses with a lead. The fact the players didn't know the overtime rules is such a worry. Mentally I don't know how they are going to get back there again.

I don't know why people are being critical of taking the ball first in OT

You're only guaranteed to have 1 possession each, if it's tied after that from what I am aware the next score wins.

If we let KC get the ball first and the game was tied after 2 possessions and KC wins with a FG on the 3rd possession then everyone would be smashing Shanahan for not getting the ball first.

It feels like this is one of those times where he was going to get smashed no matter what he decided to do.

I don't know why people are being critical of taking the ball first in OT

You're only guaranteed to have 1 possessions each, if it's tied after that from what I am aware the next score wins.

If we let KC get the ball first and the game was tied after 2 possessions and KC wins with a FG on the 3rd possession then everyone would be smashing Shanahan for not getting the ball first.
Agree....see my last post in the SB thread

We needed to attack the middle more with our passing. That is the biggest weakness of the Chief's defence.

Should have used Kittle a lot more with the passing game.

I feel like this was our last opportunity with this current roster. Going to take a lot strength to fight back next season to get themselves into the same position.

Definitely need to improve the O line.

I think the main thing is to not turn on Shanahan.

Let's not forgot how Harbaugh was run out of San Fran and then how absolute garbage we were under Tomsula and Chip Kelly.

The grass is not always greener on the other side with a new coach.

Why not?
Shanahan is like Ken Hinkley. Can only take a team so far.

If I were the Niners, I'd be ringing up Belichick and offering him the job asap. You will win 2 of the next 3 Superbowls with him in at the helm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back