News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the Giants had a couple of key players back from the minor round game and the guys that struggled in the middle fired in the finals.
Giants had played well the week before playing us we on the other hand came off a thrashing.
We definitely peaked at the wrong time of year and once some injuries came along we went down like the Titanic.
We never had the depth to cover injured players and that’s been a massive problem for some time now.

I am really trying to reach back in my memory but those couple of players weren't key players as such. IIRC, they were two small forwards, one IIRC was pretty good.

We had an issue with depth but I personally feel it is more to do with Kenny Average not developing players and thus relying on free agency and more specific to the year, maxxing out the players to get a new contract and not using the year to find depth such as Finalyson down back.

Sam seems a nice lad and wish him well in whatever pursuit in life he follows. However, could not see him on GF day on MCG being able to do his job. We now have 2 seasoned rucks one of which has contributed on GF day. Best to move on for all. As a by the way giants could well have played in GF except for the umpiring at one stage!
Yes, Sam has sadly now departed. Same with Scooter.
No use criying ovef spilt Pura.
Hope he finds a home somewhere. He's elite State League quality, so shouldn't be too much of an issue settling in at some club.

Pondering tbw why's and wherefore's won't solve anything. Time to move on with what we have now.
We have to trust that the new ruck battery can fire and improve things for the team.

I am really trying to reach back in my memory but those couple of players weren't key players as such. IIRC, they were two small forwards, one IIRC was pretty good.

We had an issue with depth but I personally feel it is more to do with Kenny Average not developing players and thus relying on free agency and more specific to the year, maxxing out the players to get a new contract and not using the year to find depth such as Finalyson down back.
From what I seen last year the depth we had playing for the Port Magpies is as bad as we’ve ever had.
There is no depth so you can’t develop what is not there.
The club has tried to address some of these problems this year but has been slow to catch on about our glaring deficiency’s.
You can argue who is to blame for this all day long but I believe the problems within our club is definitely more than one person.

We know the Crows have a mental edge over us so that's not surprising and it's at least a consistent pattern.

The way our midfield was able to totally dominate GWS and then a little over a month later totally capitulate against them with the only difference being H&A game v finals game was jarring.
Looking at that finals match Drew kicks a goal 2 minutes into the second quarter and we take the lead.
That should have fired up the players but instead there midfield takes over and it’s the only goal we kick for the qtr.
Even the last qtr Dixon goals 2 minutes in then we miss 3 shots in a row.
Again it’s our only goal for the qtr, our output for the 2nd and 4qtr yields us 2-14.
Your spot on about the fall of grace by our mids from the H@A game to the finals but our goal kicking in pressure games is pathetic.

Looking at that finals match Drew kicks a goal 2 minutes into the second quarter and we take the lead.
That should have fired up the players but instead there midfield takes over and it’s the only goal we kick for the qtr.
Even the last qtr Dixon goals 2 minutes in then we miss 3 shots in a row.
Again it’s our only goal for the qtr, our output for the 2nd and 4qtr yields us 2-14.
Your spot on about the fall of grace by our mids from the H@A game to the finals but our goal kicking in pressure games is pathetic.
Has been for a long time.

we have very few reliable shots for goal and even less when The pressure is on.

has cost us games and has kept sides in games when they should be blown away.

We know the Crows have a mental edge over us so that's not surprising and it's at least a consistent pattern.

The way our midfield was able to totally dominate GWS and then a little over a month later totally capitulate against them with the only difference being H&A game v finals game was jarring.

The crows hate us more at the moment is all it is, our players seem frightened when playing them. This is all on Hinx & the preparation before big games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hinkley's approach: "they need to remember they got beat by 50 last time they came to AO". Job done. This one's in the bag cause we already did it. Just work a similar level of hardness for a similar length of time. Oh and something about Oppenheimer but I haven't seen it.

Kingsley's approach: Let's drill in to every area of that game to identify what went wrong and what we can do to overcome it.

I have first hand experience at listening to Adam Kingsley's views on footy and at the time I was not that impressed. Based on that experience I do not see him as an improvement on Hinkley. Then again Kingo may have sharpened up in the 16 years since I heard him expound his views on the game.

I have first hand experience at listening to Adam Kingsley's views on footy and at the time I was not that impressed. Based on that experience I do not see him as an improvement on Hinkley. Then again Kingo may have sharpened up in the 16 years since I heard him expound his views on the game.
The point to take from this is we should give Ken Hinkley 16 years to see if he sharpens up to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I seen last year the depth we had playing for the Port Magpies is as bad as we’ve ever had.
There is no depth so you can’t develop what is not there.
The club has tried to address some of these problems this year but has been slow to catch on about our glaring deficiency’s.
You can argue who is to blame for this all day long but I believe the problems within our club is definitely more than one person.

The season was made worse by the fact that the Crows probably had their best depth for many years. Despite our thirteen wins in a row we could not get near the Crows in the AFL or SANFL.

You are correct as the malaise of mediocrity has seeped through the entire Club. Koch and his Board, the Coaches and the Administration all B grade. Apart from Koch, the people in power are all blow ins recruited from the outer reaches of the AFL. In the past our strength was that we moved people up the ladder from within our Club. These days we either appoint a committee to recruit from the ranks of the AFL or accept what the AFL decides we should have.

None of that has anything to do with Sam Hayes of course but it is a point worth making. To return to Sam, he definitely went backward in 2023. A couple of years back he was killing them in the SANFL and he looked to have a future but he simply did not make much of his opportunities in 2023. I think the ability was there but for some reason the spark went out, it was as if early in proceedings Sam was told to start exploring his options at another club. Whatever the reason Sam goes down as a disappointment.
Looking through the AFL lists Sam has not been picked up by another club so maybe his AFL cards are marked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back