Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Lester signs one year deal for 2024. FANTASTIC NEWS!
McInerney and Lester Sign On

IMG_6682.png
Ryan Lester ‘flies the flag’ in support of Charlie Cameron during the second quarter of our Qualifying Final win at the GABBA on Saturday night.

Lester who has a tendency to fly under the radar, played a flawless game. His disposal efficiency was 93.3%, he had four contested possessions out of his total of 13 disposals and he was rock solid throughout. One of Lester’s great strengths is his decision making and this was on display against Port Adelaide. Even under extreme pressure, Lester can be relied upon to make the right decision and in finals, that is an ability that is vital.

IMG_6683.png
Deep in defence, Lester executes a brilliant run down tackle on the dangerous Sam Powell-Pepper. He is then awarded the free kick after Rioli makes high contact while Lester continues to bravely fight for the ball. This fearless and reliable work on the deck is what Lester has brought to our defensive unit. His contribution in this regard is unparalleled.

Last edited:
View attachment 1799792
Deep in defence, Lester executes a brilliant run down tackle on the dangerous Sam Powell-Pepper. He is then awarded the free kick after Rioli makes high contact while Lester continues to bravely fight for the ball. This fearless and reliable work on the deck is what Lester has brought to our defensive unit. His contribution in this regard is unparalleled.
Lester was great but I wouldn’t say his contribution was unparalleled.
There would be 17 others on the field at any one time in that game that would think they would be hard done by, by that statement and I reckon every single one of them would have had moments like that in the game.
Lester was awesome, played his role really well as did the whole team.

Lester was great but I wouldn’t say his contribution was unparalleled.
There would be 17 others on the field at any one time in that game that would think they would be hard done by, by that statement and I reckon every single one of them would have had moments like that in the game.
Lester was awesome, played his role really well as did the whole team.
I meant in terms of what he has brought to the defensive unit this season. I don’t think we have a defender who is as strong as Lester on the deck and I don’t think we have a defender who extracts the loose ground ball and plays it to advantage better than Lester.

Last edited:
Hes single handedly keeping Darcy Gardiner out of the side which some would argue is a good thing...

Hes single handedly keeping Darcy Gardiner out of the side which some would argue is a good thing...
I have the utmost respect for Darcy Gardiner, but what Ryan Lester is demonstrating this season, and what some of us have known for a long time, is that Lester provides greater leadership within the defensive unit, more defensive rebound, a stronger capacity to win possession of loose ground ball to advantage and a significantly greater disposal efficiency.

But make no mistake, Darcy Gardiner has been a brave, hard working, dedicated and true servant of our Club. As a player starting out at the Brisbane Lions, between 2014 and 2018, Darcy Gardiner played 82 games for our club for 20 wins and 62 losses. As a Victorian, Darcy could have left the Lions to play in his “home state” but he didn’t. He was loyal and after 2019 started to reap the rewards. At present he is not in the senior side, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be in the future. He is 27 years old and more than capable of following Ryan Lester’s example, by working hard and always trying to be his best on the training track and in the Reserves. It has paid off for Lester and I’m sure it will pay off for Darcy Gardiner, because you are never too old to develop and improve your game.

Last edited:
I have the utmost respect for Darcy Gardiner, but what Ryan Lester is demonstrating this season, and what some of us have known for a long time, is that Lester provides greater leadership within the defensive unit, more defensive rebound, a stronger capacity to win possession of loose ground ball to advantage and a significantly greater disposal efficiency.

But make no mistake, Darcy Gardiner has been a brave, hard working, dedicated and true servant of our Club. As a player starting out at the Brisbane Lions, between 2014 and 2018, Darcy Gardiner played 82 games for our club for 20 wins and 62 losses. As a Victorian, Darcy could have left the Lions to play in his “home state” but he didn’t. He was loyal and after 2019 started to reap the rewards. At present he is not in the senior side, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be in the future. He is 27 years old and more than capable of following Ryan Lester’s example, by working hard and always trying to be his best on the training track and in the Reserves. It has paid off for Lester and I’m sure it will pay off for Darcy Gardiner, because you are never too old to develop and improve your game.
Lester has been a bit of a God send this year with Darcy Gardiner struggling with injury for the first half of the year and Joyce the only other KPD back up.
And done extremely well to keep Gardiner out of the team now he is fit.
As we all know Gardiner was one of Fages Pets.

Lester has been a bit of a God send this year with Darcy Gardiner struggling with injury for the first half of the year and Joyce the only other KPD back up.
And done extremely well to keep Gardiner out of the team now he is fit.
As we all know Gardiner was one of Fages Pets.
Which means credit needs to go to Fagan for changing his mindset.

I thought there was no chance Fagan was going to get this right after the Rd.11 loss to Adelaide, where Lester was dropped and Gardiner retained, despite Lester putting in the stronger performance in a losing side. After the bye we then lost to Hawthorn and Gardiner’s numbers that game were very poor. Lester was reinstated to the senior side and since then he has been fantastic in defence. Media commentators in particular have been glowing in their praise for Lester. Based on his form, he has played the last 12 games straight and played some great football. At the same time, our defensive unit has never looked more cohesive and strong. Lester is an absolute LOCK for us in defence now.

Finally, big shout out to Jed Adcock our Defensive Coach this year. Something of an unsung hero.

View attachment 1799721
Ryan Lester ‘flies the flag’ in support of Charlie Cameron during the second quarter of our Qualifying Final win at the GABBA on Saturday night.

Lester who has a tendency to fly under the radar, played a flawless game. His disposal efficiency was 93.3%, he had four contested possessions out of his total of 13 disposals and he was rock solid throughout. One of Lester’s great strengths is his decision making and this was on display against Port Adelaide. Even under extreme pressure, Lester can be relied upon to make the right decision and in finals, that is an ability that is vital.
Remember what I used to say about number 35?

I have just watched the replay and Lester did play a flawless game.

Where was this form eight years ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where was this form eight years ago?
I think Lester’s form has been consistent throughout, just that he’s had his detractors and couldn’t see what is enlightened football observers saw 🤣

Overall Froggy has been massively underrated and I’ve said it before but Ryan is playing the leadership and general role that Hodge did so brilliantly in 2018 and 2019. It’s a shame he was ignored between 20-22 to the extent he was.

Whilst Harris is a co-captain, I think Ryan is the General in our defensive unit and a brilliant one at that.

I think Lester’s form has been consistent throughout, just that he’s had his detractors and couldn’t see what is enlightened football observers saw 🤣

Overall Froggy has been massively underrated and I’ve said it before but Ryan is playing the leadership and general role that Hodge did so brilliantly in 2018 and 2019. It’s a shame he was ignored between 20-22 to the extent he was.

Whilst Harris is a co-captain, I think Ryan is the General in our defensive unit and a brilliant one at that.
Well said. Look at how Lester is going this season when he is given a chance. Then consider in 2022 he was selected in the side twice (Rd.8 & 17) and was an unused SUB in Round 22 against St.Kilda.

Despite this, he worked hard, remained loyal and earned his place in the senior team this year. He is such an admirable role model and example of a loyal, hard working and team oriented footballer.

Well said. Look at how Lester is going this season when he is given a chance. Then consider in 2022 he was selected in the side twice (Rd.8 & 17) and was an unused SUB in Round 22 against St.Kilda.

Despite this, he worked hard, remained loyal and earned his place in the senior team this year. He is such an admirable role model and example of a loyal, hard working and team oriented footballer.
It's not that he remained loyal it's that no other club wanted him, lol.

FOX FOOTY PLAYER RATINGS
Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide

35. Ryan Lester
Stood next to Jeremy Finlayson at the first bounce and ended the night with the points. Finished with 13 touches and went at 91 per cent efficiency, while Finlayson finished with 0.1. 7

FOX FOOTY PLAYER RATINGS
Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide

35. Ryan Lester
Stood next to Jeremy Finlayson at the first bounce and ended the night with the points. Finished with 13 touches and went at 91 per cent efficiency, while Finlayson finished with 0.1. 7
i think you know enough about footy and been to enough games, to realise it is too simplistic to say Lester was on Finlayson for the entire game. That rarely happens (although i prefer 1 x 1 , as it is more accountable, as opposed to a zone type defence. played by many teams). That said Lester did well and had a good game, looking back at the replay Lester did let Marshall grab an uncontested mark when Payne was off rotated, in the 4th Q I believe.

i think you know enough about footy and been to enough games, to realise it is too simplistic to say Lester was on Finlayson for the entire game. That rarely happens (although i prefer 1 x 1 , as it is more accountable, as opposed to a zone type defence. played by many teams). That said Lester did well and had a good game, looking back at the replay Lester did let Marshall grab an uncontested mark when Payne was off rotated, in the 4th Q I believe.
I saw that, it was a bit of a breakdown. He was on Finlayson in that passage and couldn’t be in two places at once. The Fox Footy rating comment was a little simplistic wasn’t it. He was also on Powell-Pepper at different stages. Credit to Jed Adcock for getting our defence combining so well.

Last edited:
Which means credit needs to go to Fagan for changing his mindset.

I thought there was no chance Fagan was going to get this right after the Rd.11 loss to Adelaide, where Lester was dropped and Gardiner retained, despite Lester putting in the stronger performance in a losing side. After the bye we then lost to Hawthorn and Gardiner’s numbers that game were very poor. Lester was reinstated to the senior side and since then he has been fantastic in defence. Media commentators in particular have been glowing in their praise for Lester. Based on his form, he has played the last 12 games straight and played some great football. At the same time, our defensive unit has never looked more cohesive and strong. Lester is an absolute LOCK for us in defence now.

Finally, big shout out to Jed Adcock our Defensive Coach this year. Something of an unsung hero.
IMO Lester has had a good year, but the reality is Starc takes the most dangerous small, Payne (even when injured) is taking the #1 KPF and Andrews is usually taking the #2 forward. Although it is obvious that Payne usually takes the deepest forward so sometimes in a game the match up changes.

Lester is keeping Gardiner out, and based on current form no arguments from me. Our backline structure is arguably vulnerable without Payne, because when Lester or Gardiner have to take the KPF, they can be out-marked or in Gardiners case, can give away frees.
I don't often agree with 'Mighty Lions', but I too suspect Payne is playing injured, but he has to because of our backline structure. If Harris is stuck under the goalpost taking the #1 KPD, then Gardiner and or Lester can be vulnerable on the 2nd tall KPF, and don't have Harris freely intercepting.

IMO Lester has had a good year, but the reality is Starc takes the most dangerous small, Payne (even when injured) is taking the #1 KPF and Andrews is usually taking the #2 forward. Although it is obvious that Payne usually takes the deepest forward so sometimes in a game the match up changes.

Lester is keeping Gardiner out, and based on current form no arguments from me. Our backline structure is arguably vulnerable without Payne, because when Lester or Gardiner have to take the KPF, they can be out-marked or in Gardiners case, can give away frees.
I don't often agree with 'Mighty Lions', but I too suspect Payne is playing injured, but he has to because of our backline structure. If Harris is stuck under the goalpost taking the #1 KPD, then Gardiner and or Lester can be vulnerable on the 2nd tall KPF, and don't have Harris freely intercepting.
I think you are right, Payne does appear to be playing injured. I hope he is able to rest and recharge with the week off. Payne and Andrews clearly get the jobs on the biggest forwards and Starcevich gets the lock down role on the leading small forward. This doesn’t mean that McKenna, Lester and Coleman get the ‘work experience kids’. The reality is that most forward lines have many avenues to goal, all of whom need to be covered.
I’ve been really pleased with Lester’s intercept marking this year. He’s taken a number of ‘clutch’ marks during the year.

He was dropped 17 times, delisted, made VFL captain. Now he’ll play in an AFL grand final

Sometime after he came to the Brisbane Lions as an 18-year-old rookie at the end of 2010, Ryan Lester was given the nickname Froggy. Normally, he explains that he had a pet frog when he came to the club.

That’s not true.

A couple of players gave an emoji to every player. For no apparent reason, Lester got a frog, but he took it several steps further on an end-of-season trip to Hong Kong, where he got a froggy tattoo “somewhere on my body that you won’t see it”.

16fe3f515c4281ee48b2b45a69b635cc0eadfe3e

This is probably the flashiest thing about Frog. Saturday’s grand final will be his 180th game, testament more to his work ethic, character and persistence than natural talent.

Across his career, he’s been dropped 17 times. He just keeps bouncing back.

Taking things one game at a time is a cliche in football. Lester, however, has always taken a longer view.

“I got told early in my career ‘you’re here for a career, not a game’, and that’s always helped my mindset,” he said on Monday of his career on the fringe.

At the end of last year, he was delisted by the Lions, then picked up again. Coach Chris Fagan made him VFL captain, but told him it would not hinder his senior selection prospects. Lester accepted, with no expectations, but the determination still burned.

In round 14, he won his spot back, and wouldn’t let it go. On Saturday, he’ll be a walk-up selection for his first grand final. Lester is trusted by his teammates and coaches: he’s versatile, smart and unlikely to be fazed by big occasions.

“He’s a good person, a really good leader and clearly a really good player as well,” Lions midfield coach Jed Adcock said. “You just don’t usually have your best years of footy when you hit 30, 31.”

a6c5b1e4a243c56f4537fd0b671ca3e96167e96c

For the past four years, Lester has thrived on one-year contracts.

“I go into every year thinking, ‘righto, if this is my last year, what do I need to do so I’m ready to transition?’ After four years, I’m more than ready to transition. It’s just a bonus that I’m still playing.”

He quietly completed a Bachelor of Business, and works one day in insurance; his LinkedIn profile is already more impressive than his Wikipedia page.

He probably won’t stay in football when his career does end. “For me to progress as a person, I feel like I need to try something different.”

For the first seven years of his career, Lester was part of the glue that held the club together, “when our biggest games were against the other three bottom teams that we could possibly win”.

They were bleak times.

“We had guys leaving the club, and it didn’t feel like good people were necessarily valued. Since ‘Fages’ got here, I’ve felt like good people have been valued around the club more. I guess I’ve benefited from that a little bit.”

All of this has made not only Lester’s contribution to the club more appreciated, but Lester’s appreciation of each game has risen, too: “For the first few games this year I had the attitude that every game could be my last, so go out and enjoy everything that comes with it.”

Then Darcy Gardiner returned from injury. Lester was omitted, again, despite playing well. Gardiner was injured again; Lester was recalled.

“I was kind of like, I’ve got another opportunity, let’s go out and show them I don’t deserve to be dropped all the time,” he said.
Adcock said that showed the type of person Lester was.

“He didn’t drop his bundle; he didn’t sook it up. He just went to work, and it’s been an amazing year for him.”
In the past few days, Lester’s phone has blown up. He’s soaked it all in.

“There have been so many text messages of congratulations, and it’s been great to share that joy with other people, that people are genuinely happy for me and the club,” he said.

There’s just one more game that counts now.

“For 10 years there was very little respect from the competition for Brisbane,” he said. “It was all about what we did in the early 2000s, whereas now it’s very much about what this side can do on Saturday.”

Perhaps Lester will receive wider recognition and respect too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back