Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s an argument the 27-year-old is in career best form.

Copied this ridiculous sentence off the web site just now. What argument/ Ryan has been a revelation to all us unbelievers and is playing out of his skin.

He is better than anyone could have expected.

The bloke who says I've told you a million times,"Don't exaggerate" should comment on this.

No doubt you get better views on the game on Bigfooty

Confirmation that Ryan Lester is not slow. Harris Andrew's says that high end speed training is Lester's specialty. Ryan also wins the push up comp.

Last edited:
I don't think top speed is the issue it's acceleration.

Brisbane’s Ryan Lester is eyeing off a premiership after 10 years of toil and before list cuts potentially send him in to the real workforce in 2021

Ryan Lester has gone from planning for life after football to preparing for an AFL preliminary final in the space of only a few months.

During the competition’s COVID-19-enforced break this year, the 28-year-old Lions defender had plenty of time to contemplate his future.

Despite having joined the Lions in 2011, Lester was still not an automatic selection in side and wasn’t a part of the club’s finals campaign last year.

He had only signed a one-year deal at the end of last season so there was every chance he would not play again as the 2020 competition was in limbo with no certainty of resuming in 2020 after being suspended following the first round.

“I’ve been joking to the boys that I only sign one-year contracts to keep myself hungry,” Lester said.

“(But) during the COVID period I certainly looked at what might be next for me after football.

“That was a real possibility this year that I might not get not get another contract.

“I finished my uni degree (in business) and I spoke to a lot of ex-players about their transition out of the game, some guys who have been successful businessmen like (former Lion) Jamie Charman.

“He put me in touch with a few people, just seeing what might be next for me, which I’m excited for but hopefully my footy career goes on for a little bit more.”

It’s fair to say that Lester’s form this season should earn him a new deal.

He has played in 14 of the Lions’ 18 matches, and did a superb job in containing star Tigers’ forward Jack Riewoldt in Brisbane’s qualifying final win over Richmond at the Gabba last Friday night.

“I’m doing everything I can at the moment to get a new contract, but obviously with list cuts, it’s a little bit more difficult environment at the moment,” he said.

Despite the uncertainty Lester feels fortunate to be part of a team just one win away from playing in a Gabba Grand Final on October 24.

“Ten years (with the Lions) and there’s no better time to be in the side over that 10 years than right now. I certainly feel lucky in that regard,” he said.

“The home ground’s not going to do everything for us but it’s certainly working in our favour.

We’ve got to make the most of that.

“In the past I’ve probably waited for someone else to do something, whereas (now I’m) potentially trying to be a little bit more selfish out there in a way.

“By doing that I’m contributing to the team more, playing a bit more assertive and backing myself in.”

Ryan getting the media attention he deserves. There were a few of us on our board who could see his importance as a player and a leader at our club, despite the “knockers” and it is great to see Ryan has his very own bandwagon. Our Captain Dayne Zorko sums it up beautifully. Ryan Lester is a man of character.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/515140

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys
Apols for the intrusion, but just wanted to say how great it was to read about Froggy on the AFL website today.
Had a mate who spent a couple of years at the Lions (didnt play much), but he always said Ryan was one of the better blokes he has come across in footy.
Nice to see him getting some wider coverage.
Cheers,

Last edited:
Hey lads,
Apols for the intrusion, but just wanted to say how great it was to read about Froggy on the AFL website today.
Had a mate who spent a couple of years at the Lions (didnt play much), but he always said Ryan was one of the better blokes he has come across in footy.
Nice to see him getting some wider coverage.
Cheers,
Go Saints tonight!

I like the breeding. Could be another Brown/Mugavin issue.

Most things are around 90% genetic.

A taller Zorks and a faster Froggy. Twins of course are required.
8D82E409-9DF7-4FE6-B8A3-7EAB3EE47100.jpeg
Why stop at two.

He is a survivor. Much as he does on the field, Ryan somehow finds a way to get the job done. It is well deserved and he just came out of his best season ever. And I think I am right in saying he is the second longest serving current player in a Lions jersey after Rich.

He is a survivor. Much as he does on the field, Ryan somehow finds a way to get the job done. It is well deserved and he just came out of his best season ever. And I think I am right in saying he is the second longest serving current player in a Lions jersey after Rich.
Correct, next year will be his 11th year at the club.

Brisbane Lions confident of returning to winning ways against Collingwood

He said the marked improvement in the Lions’ display against Geelong from their disappointing first-round home loss to Sydney had Brisbane confident of beating the Magpies.

“We were pumped that we played a lot better (against the Cats) than in round one,” Lester said.

“Every year I find I go into the year a little bit nervous whether we’re still going to be the good team that we were 12 months earlier.

“In round one we probably didn’t see evidence of it, (but) to go down to Geelong, play one of the (2020) grand finalists at one of the hardest grounds to play at, and play really well, and stick in the contest, and give ourselves a real chance late ... obviously it didn’t quite go our way, (and) we’d like to be one and one at the moment.

“But it gave the group great confidence going forward that we are still a really good team when we play with the effort that we did (last) Friday night.”

Lester's Milestone Tradition Continues

With his 50th & 100th games being played against the Suns, it's only fitting for Ryan Lester's 150th to follow suit.

On the eve of earning life membership at Brisbane, veteran defender Ryan Lester has opened up about the club's cultural shift and the repeated doubts he'd have a long career.

Lester will run out for the 150th time on Saturday when the Lions travel south to Metricon Stadium to face Gold Coast in the QClash.

Coincidentally, Lester also played his 50th and 100th games against the Suns – both wins for the Lions.

His upcoming milestone, coupled with 10 years of service, makes the 28-year-old eligible for life membership.

Lester has ridden a rocky path, entering the league in 2011 and playing for Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch and now Chris Fagan.

He's been in a bottom-four team, now a top-four team, seen a raft of teammates leave the club and been on the brink of being cut himself.

"To achieve life membership at this club is something I hold very dear," Lester said.

"It's something I didn't think I'd get to throughout a lot of stages.

"I've been in and out of the team for a long period through the middle of my career.

"Then 2018, '19 and '20 I was on one-year contracts. Once you get to that older stage and it comes down to between old and young, often it goes the young way.

"Last year to get back in that team and cement a spot and play the best football of my career is something I'm really proud of."

Lester was crucial in Brisbane's finals series last year, keeping close tabs on Jack Riewoldt and Patrick Dangerfield to cement a new two-year contract and become a 2021 regular.

He said Fagan's appointment as coach, along with David Noble's as football manager, helped turn the club's culture around.

Always a popular player among his peers, Lester set up a gym underneath his house last year that players could visit during the COVID-19 shutdown period.

He said that type of camaraderie would not have happened five years ago.

"I think we started to value people a lot more," he said.

"Not just the output on the field, but the contributions around the club and the values you bring to the club.

"Unfortunately, we used to have a culture where if you did extras and that (home gym) sort of thing it was sort of, I don't know if you can say this, but you were taken the piss out of, laughed at a little bit, as if you're trying to suck up to the coaches.

"Clearly that's changed now and those behaviours are encouraged and therefore you see more of it.

"It's something that's really changed around the club."

What's also changed is the Lions are now winners, something Lester wants to continue on Saturday.

"We probably like to think we're the main team in Queensland.

"We like to hold our ground and hopefully continue to win more QClash games than we lose."

There isn’t a player more worthy of acknowledging 150 games.

Ryan Lester has done it the hard way and simply stuck to his task of being useful for his team. Then he added reliability and leadership into his game. It makes him one of our greatest team players - not showy or scintillating or crafty. Just a hard working dogged and resilient footballer.

If the club ever needs to teach young players in the future what dedication and commitment mean they can just get Froggy in. I doubt he has got much more skilful since the day he joined the list. Certainly not faster. I don’t think he ever got a Brownlow vote. But he is a smart footballer who does what needs to be done. He plays for the team.

Well done on 150 Frog!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back