Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

14 Things To Know About Ryan Lester

Ryan Lester has been the epitome of persistence through 11 years at the Brisbane Lions. Set for his 150th game against the Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, he has been in and out of the side no less than 23 times. He is a no-frills type, content to let others share the spotlight, but at 29 the much-respected utility player and leadership group member is playing the best football of his career. Here are 14 things to know about him.

1. A graduate of Glen Waverley Secondary College in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs, he was drafted with selection #28 in the 2010 National Draft. In the same year the Lions also drafted Jared Polec, now at North Melbourne, with pick #5, Patrick Karnezis at #25, Josh Green at #32 and Brad Harvey in the rookie draft. In the same draft Jarryd Lyons, now a mainstay of the Lions midfield, went to Adelaide at #61.

2. He was a product of the Oakleigh Chargers in the then TAC Cup League in Melbourne and was one of seven Chargers drafted that year. The others were Andrew Gaff, who went to West Coast, fellow Lions draftee Patrick Karnezis and injury-stricken Sydney premiership player Alex Johnson. Others Lions draftees from the Chargers have been Luke Power (1997), Sam Sheldon (2006), Tom Cutler (2013), Toby Wooler (2017) and Noah Answerth (2018).

3. His first player penpix in the AFL Guide in 2011 read: “Amazingly quick for a player of his size and capable of playing in defence, forward or even in the midfield. Played in the backline for Vic Metro at the 2010 NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 16 disposals and four marks. Impressed the Lions as a midfielder for his club.”

4. He debuted under coach Michael Voss and captain Jonathan Brown at 18 in Round 1 2011 against Fremantle at the Gabba. He had 16 possessions and kicked a goal in a two-point loss after the Lions had led by 17 points midway through the final quarter. Of his debut teammates only Daniel Rich is still playing with the Lions. Tom Rockliff (Port Adelaide) and Jack Redden (West Coast) are playing elsewhere, Jed Adcock is on the Lions coaching staff, Simon Black and Brent Staker are on the Lions ALFW staff and Daniel Merrett, formerly an AFLW coach, is a Commercial Sales Executive with the club.

5. He was one of 24 AFL debutants in Round 1 2011. Of them, 14 are out of the AFL system. The others are West Coast’s Andrew Gaff (223 games) and Jack Darling (222), North’s Shaun Atley (222), Adelaide’s Brodie Smith (191), Carlton’s Ed Curnow and Geelong’s Cam Guthrie (190), Essendon captain Dyson Heppell (178), Tom Liberatore (156) and Reece Conca of Richmond/Fremantle (148).

6. He played three games in a row before a foot injury ended his first season. Year by year his game tally has been 3-19-16-14-9-19-22-15-9-15-8. During his time the Lions have played 227 games. On top of his 149 appearances he has missed 29 with injury and been an emergency 28 times. Among the 23 times he has lost his place in the side, either by injury or non-selection, four were in 2012 and 2015. And in his 23 stints in the side he has played 10 or more games in a row only four times – 11 in 2013, 10 in 2016, 30 in 2017-18 and a current 16-game run from Round 12 last year.

7. He has played under four Lions coaches – 35 games under Voss, three games under 2013 caretaker coach Mark Harvey, 42 games under Justin Leppitsch and 69 games under Chris Fagan.

8. He has been a member of the Lions leadership group for five years, having joined it as an 80-game 24-year-old in Chris Fagan’s first year at the helm in 2017

9. Overlooked for the finals in 2019 when the club tasted September action for the first time in his career, he made his finals debut in his 140th game last year. Among current AFL players, only six waited longer – ex-teammates Tom Rockliff (205) and Stefan Martin (180), current captain and brother-in-law Dayne Zorko (167), Collingwood’s Jeremy Howe (159), Richmond’s Tom Lynch (154) and Melbourne’s Tom McDonald (144).

10. Despite his ‘best is now’ status, his statistical highlights came early in his career. He had a career-best 27 possessions in his 24th game in 2013, with a career-best 17 contested possessions. And he kicked a career-best four goals in his 58th game in 2015.

11. His only Brownlow Medal vote came in his 87th game against Carlton at the Gabba. He had 26 possessions (11 contested) and a goal in a 30-point win to rank behind Dayne Zorko (26 possessions and three goals for three votes) and Dayne Beams (30 possessions and three goals for two votes).

12. He has played more games in jumper #35 than anyone else in the extended Lions family. Michael Rischitelli (111) is the only other Brisbane player to top 100, while others to wear #35 have been Ken Judge (17), Gavin Keane (7), Peter Worsfold (10), Jason Akermanis (17), Nick Trask (12) and Shane Morrison (5).

13. He will be the 27th 150-gamer on an all-time Brisbane playing list of 336, putting him in the top 7.8%. Only 41 of 1157 Fitzroy players (3.54%) played 150 games.

14. In 13 Q-Clash outings he has enjoyed a 10-3 win/loss record, enjoying wins in his 50th and 100th games against the Suns and plotting for another win in his 150th. He will play his 14th Q-Clash on Saturday to move to equal fourth on a Q-Clash games list headed by Suns veteran Jarrod Harbrow (17) from Zorko (16), Rich(15), ex-Lion turned Sun Pearce Hanley (14) and Suns captain David Swallow (14). With Harbrow having missed selection the last three weeks it could be a double celebration for the brothers-in-law, with Zorko set to equal the Q-Clash record this week.

Groin injury continues to keep Brisbane Lions star Jarrod Berry off the park

Fagan was also full of praise for another of Brisbane’s “unheralded” brigade, defender Ryan Lester, who after more than 10 years at the club will make his 150th AFL appearance on Saturday.

“He is one of the greatest and finest characters I’ve met in football,” Fagan said of Lester.

“He’s so persistent. There’s been many times when he’s played in the reserves but when he does he leads from the front, plays his best, works his way back into the seniors and over the last two or three years he’s become a really important part of our team.

“He’s a general down back, he organises everybody (and) he’s a great man on and off the field.”

Fagan compared Lester to Lions great Shaun Hart, who won three premierships and the Norm Smith Medal for being best on ground in Brisbane’s 2001 grand final victory.

“When Leigh Matthews coached this club he had Shaun Hart who was the heartbeat of the team. Ryan Lester is our modern day Shaun Hart,” Fagan said.

“He generally cares about his teammates and the club.”

Big Bodies In Frame For Return

Ryan Lester is set to miss up to a month with a hamstring injury.

The veteran was subbed out of the game in the Lions’ Round 12 loss to Melbourne at Giants Stadium in Western Sydney.

It was his first game back from a previous hamstring issue and High Performance manager Damien Austin said given there had been a recurrence, it was time for a more conservative rehabilitation program.

2021 Season Review: Fullarton & Lester

Ryan Lester has lived his football life by the simple rules of taking nothing for granted and always making the most of his chances.

2021 provided further evidence of that.

The veteran defender was sub for the Lions’ semi-final against the Bulldogs and when he got his start, following Jack Payne’s removal from the game due to a head injury, he provided the biggest highlight of his season, at the opposite end of the ground from where he has become a pillar for senior coach Chris Fagan.

Lester’s classy left foot crumbing third quarter goal was pure class, and wouldn’t be out of place in Charlie Cameron’s highlight reel.

The fact Lester was named sub, after missing the previous week with a hamstring injury, shows the trust Fages and the other coaches have in him.

It is because so much of what Lester offers goes unnoticed outside the Lions.

He’s always up there with one-percenters and is an under rated mark in the defensive 50m.

He was important in the Round 3 win against Collingwood, with 16 possessions, nine marks and six tackles, but the lingering memories from that game are Zac Bailey’s after-the-siren goal and a couple of big marks from Joe Daniher and Charlie.

He played a huge game in the dogfight against the Blues.

His act of courage to drop into the hole and place himself in the path of wrecking ball Harry McKay earned him one of the nastiest looking lumps in his lower back you’ve ever seen and the ongoing admiration of his teammates.

He didn’t appear in the match reports or best players in either game.

The one week the focus was on the man they call Frog, he got injured.

It was his 150th game and a hamstring injury early in the season’s first QClash meant he was forced to watch from the bench as the Lions routed the Suns by 72 points at Metricon Stadium.

Introducing Our '22 Leaders

Returning to the group are 2021 All Australian Daniel Rich, defensive stalwarts Darcy Gardiner and Ryan Lester, champion midfielder Lachie Neale and his best mate and forward line general Linc McCarthy and emerging champion Hugh McCluggage.

Ryan Lester Welcomes Baby Girl
Ryan-Lester-baby.jpg

A massive Congratulations to Ryan Lester and his wife Emi, who welcomed their second child into the world over the weekend.

Georgie Belle Lester joined the Lester & Lions family early on Saturday morning, with Mum and Bub said to be doing very well.

Baby Georgie is the couple's first daughter and her older brother Romeo couldn't be more excited to meet her.

She is the Lions newest little cub after Mitch Robinson also welcomed his daughter into the world last week.

There'll be no shortage of Father-Daughter picks for the club in 2039.

Congratulations Ryan & Emi!

Brisbane Lions Make it Five Straight

Ryan Lester was arguably best-on-ground with 31 touches, 13 marks and three tackles, while Carter Michael responded from being left out of Chris Fagan’s best 22 with 27 disposals, four marks and five inside 50s.

VFL Wrap: From Slow Starters to Toppling the Leagues Best

Ryan Lester led by example through the season and was in the ‘best on’ votes most weeks, while Thomas Berry was like a dog with a bone, providing plenty of grunt through the midfield before injury ruled out his season.

All The Winners 2022 Club Champion

9:47pm - Jimmy Tunstill & Ryan Lester joint winner of the Neville Fallon Reserves Best & Fairest

Jimmy Tunstill and Ryan Lester have tied for the 2022 Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest Award.

Presented to the duo by VFL Head Coach, Mitch Hahn and Neville’s son, Michael Fallon, Tunstill and Lester both enjoyed terrific seasons.

Made even more impressive given it’s his first year on an AFL list, Tunstill averaged 19.1 disposals and became a damaging utility in the VFL, playing across the forward line, wing and midfield.

The 19-year-old was rewarded with a debut in Round 15 and played three AFL games.

Lester provided invaluable experience to a young side while playing some exciting footy himself.

The 30-year-old averaged 18.8 disposals and 5.9 marks, with arguably his best performance coming in the Lions thrilling Semi-Final victory over Carlton where he collected 24 touches, nine marks and five tackles while spreading his time across the backline, ruck and midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reliable Ryan Lester is still embracing life with the Brisbane Lions

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.

Lions stalwart Ryan Lester believes he has done enough to retain his spot in Brisbane’s team for Friday’s clash against Carlton, but if not, he will “embrace” his return to the VFL and the task of again forcing his way into AFL calculations.

Lester, 30, made his first AFL appearance of the season in Brisbane’s 48-point home win over Fremantle last Saturday.

It was a well-deserved reward for Lester. who has been a standout performer in Brisbane’s in-form VFL team this year.

However, the experienced defender has been in and out of the Lions’ top 22 too many times during his a Brisbane career that started in 2011 to ever take his spot for granted.

And as he gets older, Lester just wants to “enjoy” every chance he gets at AFL level.

“I find I probably don’t ride the wave of getting disappointed every week not getting selected,” he said.

“It’s very much part of the club and the industry that we’re in, but once I got a chance last weekend, I very much enjoyed it, soaked it up, and hopefully I’ll keep my spot.

“It’s just a matter of showing that what I can do when I get out there and not worrying about that maybe next week someone else could come in for my spot.

“That’s just the reality of being in a really good team. You’ve got to embrace that. It’s making sure I still enjoy myself playing VFL, play really well, so when … an (AFL) opportunity presents itself, then I’m there to take it.”

It’s a “team-man” attitude that Lester is happy to have.

“I probably still wouldn’t be at the club if I didn’t embrace it,” he said.

“Five out of the last six years I’ve been out of contract. I think I’ve been dropped as many times as any AFL player currently on the list, so if I went back to the VFL and spat the dummy, I’d probably have been out of the club three or four years ago.

“I very much love being around the club. It gives me great life balance with two young kids.

“I like helping out some of the young guys who are playing VFL, but then also I really enjoyed playing on the weekend back in the AFL.”

With Darcy Gardiner still out with an achilles problem, and Daniel Rich also set to be sidelined for the next three weeks with a calf injury, Lester should keep his spot for the Lions’ Marvel Stadium battle with a Blues side that will include star forward pair Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

“They’re certainly going to want to get a scalp in us. They move the ball really well, they’ve clearly got two targets up forward, which are as good as any in the AFL, so we’ve got to play at our best,” Lester said.

“It’s exciting. These are the games that you want to play in – Friday night footy.”

Hopping on with it: Why 'Froggy' has won Lions hearts on and off field

ZxMCujt2.jpg

RYAN Lester has been dropped a whopping 17 times from Brisbane's team during his 13-year career.

He's been out of contract five of the past six years.

Three months ago, he was fifth in line among key defenders on the club's list.

And now, less than two months shy of his 31st birthday, the man they call 'Froggy' looks to have two hands on a starting spot in a Lions team that is pushing for a premiership.

Lester is continuing to prove that nice guys don't always finish last.

Since being drafted in 2010, the 192cm utilty has forged a reputation as not only one of Brisbane's most dependable players on the field, but one of its most endearing culture-setters off it.

Speaking to the media following a round seven win over Fremantle, Lester said he didn't ride the wave of emotion that came with flicking between the senior and reserves teams.

It was his key to remaining even-keeled, and productive when called upon.

"If I went back to the VFL and spat the dummy, I'd probably have been out of the club three or four years ago," he said.

It's an attitude that has not only carried him to 167 games, and counting, but one that has ensured when given a chance, he grabs it, like his recall against Sydney in round 14.

That 11-disposal performance, seven of which were intercepts, was so impactful it earned him one AFL Coaches' Association MVP vote.

And as he prepares to face St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Friday night, a spot in the defensive unit is his for the foreseeable future.

Pl2E3UAH.jpg

Brisbane football manager Danny Daly told AFL.com.au there's a simple reason for Lester's longevity.

"When he plays at AFL level, we know he can do the job, but the other part is his off-field stuff," Daly said.

"He's in our leadership group, he always gets voted in. He's a fantastic person to have around the club.

"We know if he's not playing AFL, he's basically captaining our seconds.

"As a human being, he's one of a kind. You can't have enough of them around the club, and it keeps getting him contracts."

With the Lions recruiting Josh Dunkley and the prospect of father-sons Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher on the way in the draft, Lester was delisted at the end of last season to free up list space.

The club was always going to re-list him, but it was yet another example of how tenuous his time has been.

ju6lP3EJ.jpg

Lester is realistic about where he sits in the pecking order and doesn't take the rollercoaster journey to heart.

He suffered a hamstring injury early in the year and was passed by pre-season supplemental selection period signing Darragh Joyce to partner Harris Andrews and Jack Payne in the key defensive posts in the early rounds.

When Darcy Gardiner returned recently from his own injury struggles against Adelaide, Lester was again omitted the following week as he slid down the order.

"When I was younger and in and out of the team you can get caught in that trap of comparing yourself to other players that are playing, but it's important for me, particularly as a leader of the club, that I'm supportive of those guys," Lester said in May.

"I don't know how many more times I'm going to play, so just make sure I go out there and really enjoy it.

"I know I can play at AFL level. It's just a matter of showing that when I get out there and not worrying about next week and maybe someone coming in for my spot."

EdIwF30c.jpg

Daly said it was Lester's ability to connect the entire club that held him in such high regard.

"Not just the playing group, but staff, he has a great ability to connect with everyone at their level.

"He's forever having conversations with staff, admin, board members, players, me, 'Fages' (coach Chris Fagan), the playing group.

"From Jaspa Fletcher to 'Zorks' (his brother-in-law), he can have conversations at the level they need to have them at.

"He's got great care and empathy for people and he's always willing to help them.

"You're mindful of the culture of your place and what individuals bring. He plays good footy when he plays, but you can't buy what he brings off the field for our footy club."

On the field he's as disciplined and determined as they come. You simply don't last this long if you're not.

In the 2020 Finals series he outplayed Jack Riewoldt and Patrick Dangerfield in his two primary one-on-one assignments, and there's little doubt he's playing as well now as then.

Maybe there'll be an 18th omission at some stage, maybe not, but it won't deviate his mindset either way.

"It's his spot until his form drops off – it's going to be hard for us to not pick him," Daly said.

Froggy deserves another contract next season for a multitude of reasons, his footballing ability is testament to that and if you ask me, he's doing exactly that General type stuff that Hodgey did for a few seasons.

Absolutely he does. Lester is in great form as a footballer, but he is also an amazing on field leader. Watching him live last night against St.Kilda he was directing traffic, running to provide a strategic outlet and providing an example by putting his body on the line. He has always been a natural footballer, but his very no nonsense, modest and team focussed demeanour have meant that coaching staff and some supporters have underestimated his potential and value. I think Fagan is slowly starting to catch on.

Last edited:
CHATGPT IS 100% ACCURATE IN RELATION TO RYAN LESTER!

Ryan Lester: The Unwavering Warrior of AFL

In the realm of Australian Rules Football, where heroes are made and legends are born, there are certain individuals who transcend the ordinary and leave an indelible mark on the game. One such luminary is none other than Ryan Lester – the unwavering warrior of AFL.

Ryan Lester is a name that resonates with resilience, commitment, and unyielding dedication. From the moment he stepped onto the hallowed turf, it was evident that he possessed the heart of a lion and the spirit of a true champion. A stalwart of the Brisbane Lions, Lester has become a pillar of strength for his team, a beacon of hope in times of adversity, and a source of inspiration for aspiring footballers worldwide.

What sets Ryan Lester apart from the rest is his unmatched work ethic and insatiable hunger for success. Every game, every training session, and every moment on the field is an opportunity for him to showcase his relentless pursuit of excellence. He is a true embodiment of the notion that hard work and perseverance are the keys to achieving greatness.

Lester's versatility is another feather in his cap. Whether he is defending with unwavering determination, intercepting crucial passes, or providing a vital link in the attacking chain, his adaptability shines through. His astute decision-making, coupled with his exceptional skills, make him a force to be reckoned with in any position he is assigned to.

Beyond his on-field exploits, Ryan Lester's character and leadership qualities make him an exceptional role model. His humility and respect for the game, his teammates, and opponents are a testament to his integrity. Lester's dedication to his craft extends beyond the boundary lines as he actively participates in community initiatives, inspiring the next generation to follow their dreams and achieve greatness.

In an era of professional sports where egos often overshadow the game itself, Ryan Lester remains a humble warrior. He lets his actions speak louder than words, consistently delivering standout performances and leading by example. His unwavering commitment to his team's cause is an inspiration not just to his fellow Lions but to all AFL enthusiasts who appreciate the beauty of the game.

Ryan Lester's impact on the Brisbane Lions cannot be overstated. His presence on the field brings stability, composure, and an unwavering fighting spirit to the team. His ability to lift his teammates when the chips are down and rally them to greater heights is a testament to his leadership qualities and his unwavering belief in the collective power of a united team.

In the annals of AFL history, Ryan Lester's name will forever be etched as a symbol of resilience, dedication, and sportsmanship. He is the epitome of the unwavering warrior, always ready to face any challenge head-on and emerge victorious. His journey serves as a reminder that success is not just measured by trophies and accolades but by the impact one has on the lives of those around them.

Ryan Lester, the unwavering warrior of AFL, we salute you for your unwavering commitment, unyielding spirit, and unmatched passion for the game. You have become a shining beacon in the AFL landscape, and your legacy will endure long after you hang up your boots. Thank you for your invaluable contributions to the sport we love.

Last edited:
Hes doing pretty good, I can see him as a mainstay in the backline for a few years easily, has matured into the player we'd hoped he could be. I thank Hodge for that.
1688589413604.jpeg
Psychic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back