Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 28 in the 2010 National Draft

lesterz.jpg

Summary:

* debut: round 1, 2011 (#78)
* footy injury: ruptured Linsfranc ligament (#108)
* 2011 review (#133)
* nicknamed 'Humphrey B Bear' because he doesn't talk much (#152)
* 2012 review (#224)

Contract status: 2011 - 2012

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2011: =30th (2 votes)
2012: 11 votes

Coaches' votes:

Tribunal record:

Re: Ryan Lester

If you guys have any questions I'm happy to help, had a good year at the chargers, is a utility type at 190/191cm. Moves very well for his size, he's around low 81kg's i think? Ran under 3 seconds in the 20m sprint and ran a 14 + beep and was top 10 in the beep test. He can play midfield- played there for the chargers but played full back at the carnival- he's more a 3rd tall/flanker I reckon. Will be a gun:p may be slightly biased as he's a mate but hopefully he has a long and successful career at the Lions

Be ok with a long career in Brissy ? :)
Loyalty shouldn't be a problem, he'll be in the long haul I say. Can't believe he went that early though, bit of a shock to be honest, however I had a feeling he'd rocket up the order as he can play all over the park, has a massive tank + good size and speed... Generated quite a bit of interest pre-draft from clubs, 12 clubs spoke to him but he wasn't really hyped up that much. Karnezis is a good is a good mate of his so he'll have a good mate up there with him.

Loyalty shouldn't be a problem, he'll be in the long haul I say. Can't believe he went that early though, bit of a shock to be honest, however I had a feeling he'd rocket up the order as he can play all over the park, has a massive tank + good size and speed... Generated quite a bit of interest pre-draft from clubs, 12 clubs spoke to him but he wasn't really hyped up that much. Karnezis is a good is a good mate of his so he'll have a good mate up there with him.

Sounds like a good pairing of the two. Cheers for the info. :thumbsu:

Appreciate the info. What do you think of his skills?
They're not too bad- he's worked hard on his kicking especially as it was inconsistent when he was younger. It's not a strong suit but it's not a weakness anymore- it can be inconsistent at times but I think it shouldn't be a problem his action is fine, its more about execution i think.

I think long term he'll project more as a player in the back half, 3rd tall/off the half back flank or as a midfielder. Interestingly he was asked where he wanted to play by a recruiter and he said in the back half as a 3rd tall however he got told by that recruiter that they thought of him as a HFF, Stevie J mould. Certainly you'll have to settle him down in one spot, I think the backline will suit him well. He reads the play well and is very strong overhead. Midfield would also be an option due to his tank.

Draft Profile

Pick 28 Ryan Lester

Fromer club: Oakleigh Chargers/Mulgrave
DOB: 26/08/1992
Height: 191cm
Weight: 83kg
Position: Defender

Player Assessment

Amazingly quick for a player of his size, and capable of playing in defence, forward or even in the midfield. Has a booming and accurate kick and deft hands. Represented Vic Metro at the 2010 NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 16 disposals and four marks.

edit_preview.php

Oakleigh draft hopeful Ryan Lester charges ahead
BY ROY WARD
15 Nov, 2010 01:00 AM

OAKLEIGH Chargers defender Ryan Lester looks at 2010 with a little disappointment. A series of injuries starting early in the preseason robbed the 18 year old of any consistency, but there is a silver lining to his season in the shape of Thursday's AFL draft. Lester is hopeful he has managed to impress clubs enough to allow him to follow his dream of playing AFL football. The Glen Waverley resident entered the preseason determined to win a place in the Chargers midfield and to then make the Vic Metro squad.

"This season I couldn't get a good enough base to play midfield so I was in defence," he said. "But the midfield is where I want to end up." However, some AFL clubs might have other ideas after watching Lester shine during a cameo run at full back for Vic Metro during the national championships.

edit_preview.php

Snoops Updated Mock after LL1 & 2

Selection # 55 (HAWTHORN)
Ryan Lester – Oakleigh / 190cm / 83kg

Profile : Another of the Oakleigh kids who will be considered......there are oodles of them! Listed as a Tall Defender but will play HB / HF and increasingly midfield I suspect as his testing suggests he could be part of a midfield rotation. As well as athletic ability strikes as a kid who is just a natural footballer. Tends to have a bit more time and stays on his feet in contested situations , good mark for his size and skills are very good as well. I think he could be a terrific AFL footballer but and really keen to see where he goes. Bit of mail the Pies have scoped him.
Why Hawks: They will see a young Hodge in this kid.
Similar to: I liken him to Ryan Okeefe
Draft Range: 30-60
Roughie: Aaron Mullett not dissimilar. Michael Hibberd would add pace in the back

Wondering if he increasingly came to mind after we cooled on Heppell...

Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

#43 (St Kilda) – Ryan Lester (VIC)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 26/08/1992
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Brendan Goddard
Range: 30-57
Why: Tall defender who is very strong overhead. Has very good endurance. And has the versatility to player forward as well as back. Not tall enough to play key position, but certainly will be able to go with the medium size forwards well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft

PICK 40-SYDNEY-Ryan Lester (Oakleigh Chargers)
Same as trial run here for me.
Have a few spots needed to fill and I'm basically drafting for needs now.I had Lester or Tape earmarked for this spot and had considered both for my previous pick before Lycett slid. Lester has a number of attributes in his game that are of AFL quality. Versatility,pace,motor and is a very good grab as well. He has great hands in close and excellent vision on the way out too. Long term I see him as a key defender but initially he could play wing/half back or on a tall or small down back.Each time I've seen him go into the midfield he has had an impact and that is another string to his bow that would be very handy for the Swans.

Decided, having never seen him play, that I'm going to build a bandwagon for this kid!

I am with you TFB - make me the second member. Welcome aboard Ryan.

If he grows another 2-3cms we could be a player.

Yeah nah even if he grows a bit I don't think he'll be a KPP type. He's more suited to a running role- thats his natural role really, he had never played 1 game in his life at FB before he got put in FB at the championships (where he did do very well though). + a midfield/running/3rd tall role would give him the opportunity to use his best attributes.

Draft Combine

Beep test/shuttle run - top 10

1. Hayden Hector 15/7 (record)
2. Andrew Gaff 15/3
3. Joel Wildinson 15/3
4. Jacob Gilbee 15/1
5. Ryan Brabazon 15/1
6. Dyson Heppell 14/13
7. Cameron O'Shea 14/10
8. Josh Caddy 14/9
9. Rohan Bewick 14/7
10. Ryan Lester 14/6

Rob Kerr

"Ryan played defence for the state team, but he also played a fair bit of midfield for his club - we probably picked him more on the fact that he played some good footy in the middle. He's a player, who has played a variety of roles and every role he's been given, he's done extremely well at. He's another one at 191cm who can run and we think will fill a number of roles for us."

Paul Daffey's Phantom Draft

33. MELBOURNE - Ryan Lester
Height:
191cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 26/08/92
Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)
Draft range: 30-40
Tall defender who can play up forward or in the midfield. Prides himself on attacking the ball with vigour, and he's strong overhead. Would be welcome in the half-back line at any club.

Oakleigh Chargers Football Club

Nickname: Rhino
Local Club: Mulgrave
School/Uni: Glen Waverley Secondary College
AFLTeam:St.Kilda
Most Admired Chargers Player: Andrew Gaff
What appeals to you about playing football? Playing with mates
If you didn't play football, what other sports would you pursue? Basketball, Cricket
Name your ideal dinner guest: Nick Riewoldt
What is your favourite holiday destination? Queensland
Name your favourite TV Show: Prison Break
Name your favourite song: Always - Bon Jovi
What is the best football advice you have been given? Grab your opportunity
If you could take one thing to a deserted island what would it be? A boat
What were the reasons you started playing football? Family got me into it
What is your favourite position on the football ground? Centre
Sporting Dream: Playing AFL
Mobile Phone Ringtone: Hey soul sister
Most Desired First Car: Audi
Who influences your football most? Family, coaches