Autopsy Round 8 2024 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 4, 1.45pm AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to hear.

Poor form.

Don't understand this kind of behaviour or carry on. Everyone's out to have a good day at the footy, no need for this.
Didn't bother me that much, but the parents who brought their kids might feel differently.
My Brazilian soccer friend was only surprised because we didn't have huge fences separating the supporter groups.
He's decided that Callum Brown was his favourite player and kept called him "Brownie" in his accent...
I had explain, to his dismay, he'll probably get suspended for a few weeks.

Totally agree with all of this, and all player assessments. Toby has lacked spark all season really, not sure why he hasn’t had some midfield time to mix things up and try and get him going.
What could the issue be?
A broken toe or more likely an ankle problem like Whitfield in 2022?

There was a bit of Swan fan snarkiness near the Giants Cheer squad in the 2nd half.
Nothing too bad but enough to rile everyone up and security spoke to a few of them.
I assumed they were rugby league crossovers from repeated calls of "go the refs"...
The Swans board match review is a bit nasty, but it's only big footy keyboard warriors.

The Swans board match review is a bit nasty, but it's only big footy keyboard warriors.

Not sure they need to be upset they got the win, top of the table, premiership favourites and yes McCartin was concussed but Brown will get a suspension and yes hope McCartin is ok and recovers but they should be saying how good Warner and Gulden are and which will win the Norm Smith;)

Crowd was 40,337. The 3rd biggest crowd ever for the Sydney derby. Only the crowds of 60,222 for the 2016 final at Stadium Australia in 2016, and the crowd of 40,350 at SCG in 2018 was bigger.
Wow, that's a massive crowd for the SCG. Serious question, how much GWS support in that number?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like we won't appeal. No point, really.
He knew he was gone when he did it.

Dropped his head in disgust and didn’t even respond to the rag-dolling of the opposition.

They’re called accidents for a reason.

And I don’t think anyone would seriously think Cal Brown was a grub. And if they do, they can EAFBOD

Dropped his head in disgust and didn’t even respond to the rag-dolling of the opposition.

And I don’t think anyone would seriously think Cal Brown was a grub. And if they do, they can EAFBOD
The AFL is going to need to unwind an evolutionary reaction.

Whilst I think it's unfortunate on the receiving end, it's going to be very hard for any player not to brace IMO.

I don't have an answer for it, whilst the opposition victim team call for blood each time.

Would be interested to see if the club tried to run a he was pushed into him angle. Very curious to see what the afl has to say about the duty of care of another player who pushes their opponent into their teammate.

Would be interested to see if the club tried to run a he was pushed into him angle. Very curious to see what the afl has to say about the duty of care of another player who pushes their opponent into their teammate.
They ignore it.

A few years ago a Freo player pushed Sam Reid into Nat Fyfe - clear and full-blooded push that was solely responsible for Reid's collision - and Reid got two matches.

Dawn had broken on that cold and bleak Monday morning.

The restless clouds, an ominous shade of grey, were being pushed around by unfriendly winds. They seemed to rumble a warning as the players made their way into HQ.

The first to arrive noticed another car in prime position. A misty rain was falling, but there was no steam on the bonnet. The coach had been there for hours. His vehicle was cold.

A strange atmosphere pervaded the office, both silent and oppressive. Was anyone there? Eyes were averted as the lockers began to fill.

The time arrived and the team assembled. No-one was late. No-one dared. The minutes ticked by. Where was the coach? Apprehension became foreboding.

Suddenly, the door opened, and the coach swept in. He looked at no-one, and said nothing.

The moment lingered. Then his eyes met the team.

6-6-6. The mark of the beast.

The storm was unleashed.

Last edited:
Dawn had broken on that cold and bleak Monday morning.

The restless clouds, an ominous shade of grey, were being pushed around by unfriendly winds. They seemed to rumble a warning as the players made their way into HQ.

The first to arrive noticed another car in prime position. A misty rain was falling, but their was no steam on the bonnet. The coach had been there for hours. His vehicle was cold.

A strange atmosphere pervaded the office, both silent and oppressive. Was anyone there? Eyes were averted as the lockers began to fill.

The time arrived and the team assembled. No-one was late. No-one dared. The minutes ticked by. Where was the coach? Apprehension became foreboding.

Suddenly, the door opened, and the coach swept in. He looked at no-one, and said nothing.

The moment lingered. Then his eyes met the team.

6-6-6. The mark of the beast.

The storm was unleashed.
Thus Adam "OFJ" Kingsley was created.

We've played only 2 teams in the top 8 and on both occasions we have been badly beaten in stoppages.

Yes, the midfield has been well below what they're capable of, but my big concern is Briggs.

Losing the hit outs by 20 v Sydney, 13 v Carlton, we are not getting enough first use of the ball. The top teams are taking advantage of that and will continue to do so.

As much as his form has dropped off compared to 2023, Briggs is simply an injury short of derailing GWS' season.

But what to do? Who is there to step in?

Ideally, I'd reckon a week off for the bye after 2 more games, then give him another week off v Hawthorn in Tassie, but is that possible?

It's almost like last year when Flynn was replaced by Briggs and our year turned around.

I don't know whether history can repeat itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back