Preview Round 8 2024 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 4, 1.45pm AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Fantastic result on Thursday night against Brisbane.

The Orange Tsunami was well and truly roaring in the second half, with nine unanswered goals. Having pushed us so hard in the second quarter, Brisbane looked clueless as goal after goal sailed through the big sticks. It was a joy to behold.

Debutant Darcy Jones more than lived up to the promise he’s shown in the seconds. Given an opportunity, his speed was electrifying, and he left the Lions flat-footed on more than one occasion. You could feel the energy pulsate around the ground whenever he went near the ball.

There’s plenty to think about this week, for what is sure to be one of most anticipated derbies for a long time. Team selection is a real challenge. With several stars returning, and plenty of outstanding young talent, who do we omit? Here are my thoughts.

The backs are relatively easy. Taylor will take Aleer’s place, that’s a given. Himmelberg can play at half-back.

I’ve opted to put Perryman in the centre, as I think we’ll need a bit of grunt in there against the Swans. If Coniglio returns, it would be at the expense of Peatling.

With full-forward, who would be most effective small forward near goal, with Hogan and Brown? I’ve started with Toby, and would play Darcy Jones off the interchange to keep him fresh, and inject that speed of his when we need it.

If Daniels if fully fit, he can start at half-forward alongside Cadman and Bedford. I opted for Cadman to ensure we have a bit of height down there. Thomas would play off the bench.

I’m reluctant to drop XOH from the line-up because of the physical intent he always brings, because I think we’ll need it. So, Wehr and Aleer would be omitted, and Ward “managed” for his impending 300th. Peatling would be the sub.

FB [15] Sam Taylor, [44] Jack Buckley, [39] Connor Idun
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [27] Harry Himmelberg, [7] Lachie Ash
C [22] Josh Kelly, [17] Finn Callaghan, [36] Harry Perryman
HF [14] Toby Bedford, [5] Aaron Cadman, [16] Brent Daniels
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [46] Callum M. Brown
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [12] Tom Green

IC [2] Darcy Jones, [33] Xavier O'Halloran, [28] Harvey Thomas, [26] Jake Riccardi

SUB [20] James Peatling

We’re arguably at greater than full strength with the emergence of Harvey Thomas and Darcy Jones, but nonetheless, we’d be crazy to underestimate the Swans, and especially Heeney, who always plays well against us and is an early favourite for the Brownlow.

Something else to think about is the rest differential between the teams. We’re coming off an eight-day break, as opposed to only five for Sydney, but it might not make much difference. Check out this article by Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson on the ABC website titled “How rest and preparation dictate AFL performance”. It includes this observation:

"When a side has two days less rest than their opponent, they are likely to perform just under a goal worse than expectation when they are the home team, and about half that when they are the away team. They're not big numbers on the surface, but when you're looking at hundreds or thousands of results it suggests there's something there."

Still, when it comes to resting tired bodies and niggling injuries, I know which side of the ledger most teams would rather be on.

Get excited everyone, we’ve got a derby for the ages on our hands. The SCG has been the site of some famous victories for us and will hold no fear. I tried to get a ticket in Bays 1 and 2 to be with other Giants, but there’s none left, so I've been relegated to the Trumper Stand.

This will be an absolute blinder. I can’t wait for next Saturday.

Let’s go Giants, let’s go!

Given tickets are down to single seats only, sellout likely, looking like shaping up to be one of the highest attended derbies at the SCG, could be a record broken.

Looks like the weather has other ideas and it may be a wet game which could suppress numbers. :(

Off to buy ponchos.
There's still a couple hundred tickets in the away section according to Ticketek.
We got ours yesterday pretty easily.

There's still a couple hundred tickets in the away section according to Ticketek.
We got ours yesterday pretty easily.

Interesting. Glad you managed to get tickets! :)

Opposition bays were shown out as sold out in March, I bought the last 4 of the 6 remaining. Us 4 are split, sitting a couple rows apart too, my preference would've been together but alas.

I only know because I wanted to get more tickets for more people to come along but two seats were single seats far apart so not the best, especially if it's someone new to our game.

Perhaps more popped up?

General look around the stadium has it all as single seats scattered so maybe they did an additional release which has all been snapped up now, leaving the single seats.

1714177959486.png

Last edited:
Should be a great game and a massive challenge for the team and it could be the difference for a top 2 finish. Grundy v Briggs will be massive and how the Giants go v the contested game of the Swans who will likely field a significantly more experienced team
Need Coniglio to be 100% fit for this as I can see the game getting super contested at stages and along with Green not sure who would be able to match that side of the Swans game and after what Carlton showed a sa. way to beat the Giants I am sure Longmire and co will see how they can exploit that part of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a huge part of this will be how we prepare to shut down their transition through the middle of the ground

When teams have shut that down and forced them into a slower, long down the line type game style the swans have looked beatable

If we let them cut us up through the middle on transition we won’t stand up to them for long enough

Wait - I was waiting to get access to the away giants tickets, but seem to have missed it, either not on sale or like YoYo, only access seats available...

With the riches of small and medium forwards I would like to see Toby spending more time in the middle with Brown also getting bursts.
Kingsley said he likes the fast feet of Bedford and Peatling in the middle and Brown brings speed and power.
Don’t think we can afford to take Perryman out of the back 7 as he reads the play so well and is a very good stopper. We tend to let small forwards get a few goals so will need to be disciplined back there against the Swans.

Wait - I was waiting to get access to the away giants tickets, but seem to have missed it, either not on sale or like YoYo, only access seats available...

I managed to find another link and those sections (3 and 4) are still available, being closest to the Giants opposition sections of 1 and 2.

I'd imagine would be a lot more Swans fans there though.

Should be a great game and a massive challenge for the team and it could be the difference for a top 2 finish. Grundy v Briggs will be massive and how the Giants go v the contested game of the Swans who will likely field a significantly more experienced team
Need Coniglio to be 100% fit for this as I can see the game getting super contested at stages and along with Green not sure who would be able to match that side of the Swans game and after what Carlton showed a sa. way to beat the Giants I am sure Longmire and co will see how they can exploit that part of the game
Grundy is a much better matchup for Briggs than the De Koning/Pittonet who can both get over the top of Briggs (where he got smashed) at ruck contest but aren’t generally as good around the ground.

Grundy and Briggs aren’t the best tap ruckman but are great post ruck contest.

I think the biggest factor for us will be Taylor’s availability. They have the big guys up forward who can take contested marks like McKay/Currie did

I managed to find another link and those sections (3 and 4) are still available, being closest to the Giants opposition sections of 1 and 2.

It’s kind of funny to be around Swans supporters at a game. South moved to Sydney in 1982. Forty-two years hasn’t been long enough for most of them to learn the rules.

Are there still tickets available? What link did you use mate?

Are there still tickets available? What link did you use mate?
This is the one I found that corresponds to section 3 and 4 with availability:

I didn't buy any. Was hoping for section 1 or 2 in the opposition bays so if more people come with us they can be among Giants fans. Section 3 and 4 bit far for people new to our game to be sitting.

I'll get them to come to our derby at Engie instead.

Last edited:
This is the one I found that corresponds to section 3 and 4 with availability:

I didn't buy any. Was hoping for section 1 or 2 in the opposition bays so if more people come with us they can be among Giants fans. Section 3 and 4 bit far for people new to our game to be sitting.

I'll get them to come to our derby at Engie instead.
Thanks, I can see the empty seats but the page seems to glitch when I try to select them. :(

Thanks, I can see the empty seats but the page seems to glitch when I try to select them. :(

Perhaps try a different browser and click into section 3 and 4.

Zoom right into the seat you want when looking to click onto the seat.

Seems to work fine on my phone. E.g Screenshot_20240428_164815_Edge.jpg Screenshot_20240428_165001_Edge.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back