Discussion Round 7, 2024 (Anzac Round): Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here already, but in the pre game line ups at Optus Stadium you could see Darling was wearing an Eagles jumper with the ANZAC Appeal logo and what looked like some poppies in the left wing.

1713841164587.png

Good to know I wasn't seeing things

View attachment 1968089

Good to know I wasn't seeing things
They've nailed it. Finally a club doing this right. No tacky design features - a simple poppy and ANZAC logo only, proceeds going towards the appeal (all or some is the only question, I presume all), and they're not aiming to sell these to the masses as a commercial exercise. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

"The Eagles, who will not play until three days after the national commemoration of ANZAC Day, will auction the playing guernseys online with proceeds donated to the RSL.

The guernseys will otherwise not be available for retail.
"

Yep Eagles have nailed the f**king brief here. Never, ever deviate from this design for Anzac Day.

The only problem is the blue unseemley seam (pun intended) down the side interrupting the wings, but that's a manufacturing issue and not a design element.

Just received my ANZAC Day jumper from the Collingwood Shop. The Gold AFL Badge is a lot higher quality than I was expecting, more akin to the rubberised badges on NFL Jerseys. Seems to be the manufactured in the same way as they did the Grand Final badges on the PI guernseys last year. I also noticed the Sekem AFL numbers the club are using are made from a more rubberised (sorry no idea what the technical term is) material so will be interesting to see how they hold up vs the older vinyl like material the numbers were made of in the past.

Attachments

• Collingwood ANZAC 2024_2.jpg
    Collingwood ANZAC 2024_2.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Collingwood ANZAC 2024_4.jpg
    Collingwood ANZAC 2024_4.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Collingwood ANZAC 2024_3.jpg
    Collingwood ANZAC 2024_3.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 47
They've nailed it. Finally a club doing this right. No tacky design features - a simple poppy and ANZAC logo only

Agreed, not over cooked in anyway. Respectful design changes to commemorate the occasion.

Just received my ANZAC Day jumper from the Collingwood Shop. The Gold AFL Badge is a lot higher quality than I was expecting, more akin to the rubberised badges on NFL Jerseys. Seems to be the manufactured in the same way as they did the Grand Final badges on the PI guernseys last year. I also noticed the Sekem AFL numbers the club are using are made from a more rubberised (sorry no idea what the technical term is) material so will be interesting to see how they hold up vs the older vinyl like material the numbers were made of in the past.

Did they accidentally print these with normal red AFL logo and these are correcting a mistake? Or do all Collingwood guernseys have stitched on/heat pressed AFL logos now?

Did they accidentally print these with normal red AFL logo and these are correcting a mistake? Or do all Collingwood guernseys have stitched on/heat pressed AFL logos now?
believe it had something to do with nike not being able to manufacture the retails in time. and so therefore the first few batches of retails have ironed on logos. i’m pretty sure next month they’re getting new stock with sublimated gold logo

For retail I think they are doing heat pressed releases from the Club store which were originally produced with the normal logo underneath the heat pressed badge (see photo). I purchased a 2024 Swopping Magpie Guernsey from Rebel Sports and it only the normal AFL badge, however they are advertising the same Guernsey with the gold badge on the Club store as "Coming Soon" so must be doing a run of heat presses with the gold badge?

I'm not sure how the player issues are being treated though?

Attachments

• Collingwood ANZAC 2024_5.jpg
    Collingwood ANZAC 2024_5.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 32
Yep Eagles have nailed the f**king brief here. Never, ever deviate from this design for Anzac Day.

The only problem is the blue unseemley seam (pun intended) down the side interrupting the wings, but that's a manufacturing issue and not a design element.
Pretty sure that issue was only on the retro wings, I haven't seen it on the royal or the peril.

The peril however does still have the odd jumper with gold seams at the top of the wings (i.e Gov in this image), which was also an issue last year from memory

1713940338506.png
Nike (correctly) anticipated massive shipping delays so to ensure Collingwood had their merch for 2024 on time, they manufactured and shipped it last year before they'd won the flag.

This isn't the jumper match up for Friday.
But it could might just work...
IMG_3193.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Orange back still a problem.

They really need charcoal on the back of all home jumpers.
Was thinking the Blue yoke would help.
Red back was passable when GWS v Sydney in the early days. Orange v red or gold.... take your pick really. Both no good.

Collingwood should use their away/true traditional jumper everytime they play Essendon and Carlton (Wear black shorts when they are the home team)

the white jumper with maroon v was ordinary 5 years ago when Brisbane used it, why bring it back now and wack a flower and tramp stamp on it and claim it’s an Anzac jumper

Collingwood should use their away/true traditional jumper everytime they play Essendon and Carlton (Wear black shorts when they are the home team)

the white jumper with maroon v was ordinary 5 years ago when Brisbane used it, why bring it back now and wack a flower and tramp stamp on it and claim it’s an Anzac jumper
Why? Collingwood can meet the brief as the away side. Essendon should wear red away vs Collingwood. Carlton should wear light blue away vs Collingwood.

Why? Collingwood can meet the brief as the away side. Essendon should wear red away vs Collingwood. Carlton should wear light blue away vs Collingwood.
It’s actually a more traditional jumper than their home jumper and it means absolutely no clash kit discussions.

It’s actually a more traditional jumper than their home jumper and it means absolutely no clash kit discussions.
If Pies go back to a white based jumper, AFL will enforce the Geelong white shorts rule. No thanks, black kit is better. Away side should change.

What about when ess play carlton or vice versa?
Or Richmond play carlton or vice versa?
Or ess play richmond or vice versa?

All of these teams have great clash jumpers. But only wear them against non vic teams and smaller vic teams when required

I think we can all agree on that point about the jumper looking good / being traditional / avoiding clashes, while still agreeing that the home side shouldn't have to acquiesce...
Well then I look forward to seeing Geelong in Navy shorts in all home games going forward😉

I'll tell you why, because especially since Nike have been making the magpies jumpers, every white Collingwood jumper looks at least 100 times better than any black Collingwood jumper.

If Pies go back to a white based jumper, AFL will enforce the Geelong white shorts rule. No thanks, black kit is better. Away side should change.
AFL does enforce white shirts rule on Geelong so what’s your point?

Its Collingwood’s choice at the end of the day, I think the white jumper with black shorts looks a lot better than your current one which was introduced so the front of the Jumper became a large Adidas logo when they came on board 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Well then I look forward to seeing Geelong in Navy shorts in all home games going forward😉

I know you're being facetious, but my position on shorts has never changed, and that has always been that they should be at the discretion of the league, whereas guernseys should be at the discretion of the home club. The league can figure out the best way to minimise a clash with the guernseys provided.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back