Discussion Round 7, 2024 (Anzac Round): Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Counter argument: I hate people complaining about these guernseys every year with a passion.

I’m sick of people that haven’t served a day in their lives thinking their conformist opinion on these every year is unique and that they’re somehow speaking on behalf of every veteran.

As a veteran I love these guernseys and just about every single person I know who’s served loves them too.

Not wearing camo at a Dawn service is one thing. But once every digger is shitfaced and covered in vomit by 1pm tell me the day is classy, simple and respectful.

Stop being outraged on behalf of us because the vast majority of us are unbothered and enjoy these.
What amount of poppies and camo sufficiently clears the non-conformist hurdle? Essendon surely the clubhouse leader for free-thinking in this space.

This would of been a perfect opportunity to wear blue against GWS. Instead we go back to the 2020 - 2022 clash jumper that was meh.

View attachment 1961557
Do you really need a clash jumper when the other team is wearing three types of camouflage? They'll be invisible!

I agree. I think the camo military/motif predominantly employed by the NRL but also in the Giants design is completely missing the point of ANZAC day. The tasteful addition of the ANZAC appeal badge is really all that is required. For the record I'm not that thrilled with the superfluous details added to the Pies design either.

I'm not a veteran.
Counter Argument:

I told myself I would leave my views at what I said the other night because I didn't want to start a thing but I feel as though I can provide a little insight here without being confrontational.

ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day in my opinion can become a bit of a circle jerk (for lack of a better word) for just the Army. A lot of people hear words and terms like "Gallipoli" "World War I" and "ANZAC" and they just automatically think Army. Navy and Air Force are often forgotten about in my experience, or they don't seem to hold the same level of respect that Army does which is wrong.

Military people in my experience take pride in the fact that they served in one of the Army/Navy/Air Force. They don't necessary take the same amount of pride in serving in the ADF as a whole. If you go to one of those RSL stands in the mall where they're selling things they'll usually have Army, Navy and Air Force variations of Teddy Bears and other products. Another example is when you sign up for one of the Defence Credit Unions you get a choice of a Blue, Green or Grey camo bank card. Based on those things the idea of putting camo on a guernsey isn't unusual to me.

I have zero issue with a camo pattern on an AFL ANZAC Day guernsey, specifically the GWS one because what it says in my opinion is that this guernsey is for those who served in the Navy and those who take pride in the Navy specifically. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially when I consider my first point and the fact most people associate the day with Army.

Take the Crows guernsey for example, it's a nice guernsey but what does it scream? It screams "Army", "Gallipoli" and "World War I". ANZAC Day is for commemorating all conflicts and everyone who has served and died. I think that fact gets lost a lot of the time and people just associate it with World War I and Army. So in short I think its nice that Navy get a modern representation somewhere and I think with a little understanding people should take zero issue with it.

This would of been a perfect opportunity to wear blue against GWS. Instead we go back to the 2020 - 2022 clash jumper that was meh.

View attachment 1961557

2024 AFL ANZAC Guernsey
2024 AFL ANZAC Guernsey

Counter Argument:

I told myself I would leave my views at what I said the other night because I didn't want to start a thing but I feel as though I can provide a little insight here without being confrontational.

ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day in my opinion can become a bit of a circle jerk (for lack of a better word) for just the Army. A lot of people hear words and terms like "Gallipoli" "World War I" and "ANZAC" and they just automatically think Army. Navy and Air Force are often forgotten about in my experience, or they don't seem to hold the same level of respect that Army does which is wrong.

Military people in my experience take pride in the fact that they served in one of the Army/Navy/Air Force. They don't necessary take the same amount of pride in serving in the ADF as a whole. If you go to one of those RSL stands in the mall where they're selling things they'll usually have Army, Navy and Air Force variations of Teddy Bears and other products. Another example is when you sign up for one of the Defence Credit Unions you get a choice of a Blue, Green or Grey camo bank card. Based on those things the idea of putting camo on a guernsey isn't unusual to me.

I have zero issue with a camo pattern on an AFL ANZAC Day guernsey, specifically the GWS one because what it says in my opinion is that this guernsey is for those who served in the Navy and those who take pride in the Navy specifically. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially when I consider my first point and the fact most people associate the day with Army.

Take the Crows guernsey for example, it's a nice guernsey but what does it scream? It screams "Army", "Gallipoli" and "World War I". ANZAC Day is for commemorating all conflicts and everyone who has served and died. I think that fact gets lost a lot of the time and people just associate it with World War I and Army. So in short I think its nice that Navy get a modern representation somewhere and I think with a little understanding people should take zero issue with it.

Probably something some of the NRL clubs have done better in terms of recognition across the different branches..

The meaning behind your team's 2022 ANZAC jersey | NRL.com
Rabbitohs ANZAC Jersey : r/nrl

South Sydney Rabbitohs RAAF Anzac Jersey Women's 14 - 18 & Kids 8 NRL  Classic 21
2024 Rabbitohs Anzac jersey : r/nrl

Parramatta Eels Anzac Jersey Mens Size Small Available NRL ISC 20 - Picture 1 of 5
2024 Parramatta Eels KIDS Anzac Round Jersey

Buy 2023 Newcastle Knights NRL ANZAC Jersey - Mens - Your Jersey

This isn't a good guernsey either but let's not be silly. The Brisbane guernsey is horrible.
Yeah I don't understand why we couldn't just use our current clash jumper as the base design. Then have a maroon coloured poppy flower pattern where the yoke is and include the Anzac badge above the AFL logo. That's all that was needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imo clubs should follow the premier league aproach, nothing fancy, just something simple and respectful.
1713334512700.png
as for profits and the commercialization of these jumpers there wouldn't be a need to sell retails especially because i doubt many would care to spend 100 bucks on the home jumper with a poppy on the front. from what i've read a club like liverpool for example get their players to sign their match worn shirts, before being donated to the Royal British Legion to be auctioned to raised funds for the poppy appeal. something similar could easily be done with the rsl and the anzac appeal. this would be a great way to get all clubs involved without going overboard or being seen as 'tacky'.

Counter Argument:

I get and respect you are coming from. My view is that ANZAC Day is about honouring those who made the ultimate sacrifice, giving thanks to those who served in battle and conflict to defend our way of life, showing respect to those who have and continue to serve. In that order.

I, like most of us, have had family members who have served (Under an Australian/New Zealand flag) in the three largest conflicts, WW1, WW2 and Vietnam. As a point of interest, none of my family members wore camo as it wasn't a thing... so the camo pattern can be considered a little jingoistic/militaristic to some families.

As an aside we do a lot of event activations work across the large commercial buildings in Australia, ANZAC Day is always one we have to be very careful of and remind our clients not to repeat the 2015 Woolworths "Fresh in our memories" debacle. Effectively we do not allow building/retail/corporate logos on any artwork informing people of ANZAC day events/commemorations.

This is broadly to avoid any issues with The Statutory Rules 1921 No. 2 as amended under the War Precautions Act Repeal Act 1920 (Updated 2001, 2020).

The act prohibits the use in trade etc of word ‘ANZAC’ in goods and services (1) sold and to be used or associated with any firm or company (2) registered in Australia. It hasn't been tested yet, but I think NRL/AFL designers are potentially going to cross a line sooner rather than later.

For my mind, with consideration to that the above. I think the jumpers/gurnseys should be cleanskins (sans sponsors), but that will never happen. However as others have said, the small addition of the ANZAC Appeal badge or the Poppy in the EPL, are appropriate examples of how it probably should be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back