Discussion Round 6, 2024: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chat about this round's games here. I thought tonight's Saints v Dogs was a prime example of needlessly introducing white to a kit where it doesn't have any. The Dogs in all blue would have made for a much nicer look. While the match-up wasn't a clash, it wasn't necessarily a contrast either.

imagerender

While the match-up wasn't a clash, it wasn't necessarily a contrast either.
The AFL’s come a decent way in this regard in recent years but matchups like these make me wish someone at AFL House would give this thread a read. https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...rminology-affects-our-interpretation.1101686/
Too many times it feels like they’re only working around whether there’s a clash that they don’t consider how they could maximise the contrast between both sides.

I've been coming around to the idea recently that while the white shorts "policy" is generally a blight on many otherwise classy looking matchups, doing away with it entirely where both teams are to be completely contrasting would be at the expense of some of the more classic matchups such as this.

Obviously some level of Vic-centrism is instilled in this, but I enjoy that Bulldogs/Saints matchup way more than the more logical approach of removing as many clashes of common colours as possible (aside from the fact that royal blue is more of a lighter colour so the white shorts actually helps with contrast in my personal opinion). I think the historical value of white/dark shorts should hold some weight in matchups such as these where there really isn't a horrible clash issue, kind of like tearing down an old-style inner city building just to make room for a black/white/grey three-storey duplex.

Instances such as Collingwood and Geelong's arrangement is a good example where the historical aspect of white/dark shorts is significantly outweighed by the inability to coherently discern players from a distance (2019 QF). My preference would always to be to find a way around white shorts with light-coloured away shorts (yellow for WC, red for ESS, etc) but there's certain matchups where I'm happy for it to be protected for the sake that we may never see that historical aesthetic match up again.

I'll probably have to pick out some examples of what I would find acceptable/unacceptable for historic purposes to make my point a bit clearer, but TL;DR some level of the "white shorts = away" policy should remain between historical matchups that don't cause much of a clash issue.

I'm also hoping Collingwood come out with a white-based home jumper sometime soon to help with contrast as well as replicate the historical aesthetic of games vs Carlton, Essendon, Richmond.

Last edited:

I'm going to create an excel spreadsheet using footyjumper.com thumbnails showing what every single matchup for the 2024 season between clubs should look (something some nepo in AFL house should be doing for $90/hr in one afternoon every year in January).

I'll link it so everyone can chop and change it based on how they differ from me

Chat about this round's games here. I thought tonight's Saints v Dogs was a prime example of needlessly introducing white to a kit where it doesn't have any. The Dogs in all blue would have made for a much nicer look. While the match-up wasn't a clash, it wasn't necessarily a contrast either.

imagerender
Personally I like the Doggies in white shorts and think it's preferable for one team to be in white shorts for this matchup.

Blues vs Giants in their orange away strip today, one of the best matchups of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North seem to be the problem child now - just wear white shorts at Home!

Or at the very least, no opposition team should ever white short v Roos or Cats
If Hawthorn just wore their traditional guernsey, which is predominantly gold, and brown shorts, definitely not white, there would be less brown than we now have and no white, there would be no issue. I actually think Hawthorn is the ‘problem child’ these days. They wore this combo (brown jumper, white shorts) away against us (Bulldogs) and muddied the waters on a clash that never had a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back