Autopsy Round 19 vs Brisbane @ Gabba 23.07.22 - 7:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to hear what people thought of Lukosius game.

You can certainly see how he could work in a forward line.
Precision kicking. Great vision.

Should have really kicked that first dribble goal. Think it was his lack of familiarity with the forward line and mis understood how much pressure was on him.
Would back him to kick the snap set shot 80% of the time too.
3 scoring shots, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements is good and would take that every week.

Although some negatives,
There were a number of times he flew in a pack with Casboult, Adams etc.. he is never marking that ball. Play to your strengths
Also, thought a few times he could have gone a bit harder. Either to make it to a contest, or within a contest.
Had a great tackle! I think we just need to persist with some players for the rest of the year in their position, Luko is one of them. Let him be the third tall and learn the role and see what he can do over a month of football.

Sharp is another one. He is our future winger—just play him now, even with a down game. Let him get some consistency.

To be honest, our small forwards were a big problem. Barely contributed across the board. Flanders and Holman did very little of impact (and haven’t for some time). MacPherson had a few GA at least, but still couldn’t impact when it counted. Hollands was the best, and it’s just his first game… which says a lot.

If Ainsworth or Rankine (who was basically held onto all game) could have got off the chain, that could have been the difference. Their small forwards were the difference for them, booting clutch goals. It’s that next level we need to find to get ten involved and threaten. When Rankine and/or Ainsworth are up and about we look very dangerous.
Next year l'm licking my lips with a forward line of
Rosa King Rankine
Jeffery Chol/Casbolt Ainsworth/Hollands.
That's exciting.

Had a great tackle! I think we just need to persist with some players for the rest of the year in their position, Luko is one of them. Let him be the third tall and learn the role and see what he can do over a month of football.

Sharp is another one. He is our future winger—just play him now, even with a down game. Let him get some consistency.

I think next year Jeffery, Casboult, King and Chol could be the tall forwards so don't think that will be his spot next year. More likely to be required to play wing or half back. Especially if we are left with Atkins distributing the ball then we are ****ed. Whoever gave him 5 years should be sacked.

Flanders continues to do SFA. Hopefully we can assist him back to Victoria as he should be nowhere near a near strength Suns team.

Hollands already more impactful and has class. Needs a massive pre-season as he looks like he could cut up and get a lot fitter and be a big difference maker.

FWIW Graham was good tonight and maybe he can take some confidence for the rest of this season and next season.

Yes totally agree
2 tackles inside 50 this week
1 last week too.

Our forward pressure really is very good and he’ll have to be part of that if playing forward.

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 6.25.54 am.png

Our wingers playing quite well this year I think.
Certainly getting more involved in an offensive sense.

Ellis kicked 2, Hollands 3 shots on goal, Sharp 1 poster.

This forward setup is certainly a well trained exercise. Long bomb into the forward line with the fat side winger lurking in space.
Ellis keeps his width and results in a very gettable shot on goal.

You see where playing non wingers really limits our ability to do this.

View attachment 1454673

Our wingers playing quite well this year I think.
Certainly getting more involved in an offensive sense.

Ellis kicked 2, Hollands 3 shots on goal, Sharp 1 poster.

This forward setup is certainly a well trained exercise. Long bomb into the forward line with the fat side winger lurking in space.
Ellis keeps his width and results in a very gettable shot on goal.

You see where playing non wingers really limits our ability to do this.
Makes it all the more bizzare that as recently as last week we have had Swallow, Fiorini and Flanders taking up that other wing spot when we have Sharp, Luko, and Hollands available.

Hopefully we stick with it and don’t drop any of them to squeeze in Fiorini/Davies out of position.

Next year l'm licking my lips with a forward line of
Rosa King Rankine
Jeffery Chol/Casbolt Ainsworth/Hollands.
That's exciting.
I agree. That is a threatening forward line. Speed, x-factor and pressure.

They have been good servants and bring pressure, but players like Holman and MacPherson need to be replaced in the 22 for us to reach that next level. Forwards who don’t kick goals aren’t worth much and make our forward half game style less dynamic. At least that’s how I see it.

Makes it all the more bizzare that as recently as last week we have had Swallow, Fiorini and Flanders taking up that other wing spot when we have Sharp, Luko, and Hollands available.

Hopefully we stick with it and don’t drop any of them to squeeze in Fiorini/Davies out of position.
Yep. I was half convinced Davies would come straight back in this week, considering the past. I’m much happier with the set-up we ran.

We looked a lot better with Farrar back in to run the ball.

Ellis could go back to the wing but also float back too or drift forward and pop up for a goal.

Sharp will get more of the ball. He has shown he can in the past. He was still in the top quarter of our players for meters gained, even with limited disposals.

Yes, Atkins had some bad moments but he still got the ball 21 times at 70%, which is fine. He looked much less panicked when kicking it into the forward 50 as well. I don’t think we have another player to replace him (maybe Markov?), so I’m still somewhat inclined to give him a block of games, just out of necessity for structure.

So overall that’s the type of set up we want, as it is similar to our Powell/Weller earlier in the year.

I’d be looking at our pressure forwards as players most likely to lose a spot, rather than our runners. Especially with Rosas back from injury.

Always seemed destined to end this way despite how well we played early.

Disappointing given age wise we are not really a young team, but it’s a hurdle we are going to have to learn to get over if we ever want to go anywhere.

I think our bottom 6 out there tonight is our real weak point against a full strength side. Still carrying a few too many players.
Our bottom six is the real difference for sure - take your pick who those six are but I'd stick McPherson, Flanders, Lemmens, Holman, Graham, Atkins in there for starters. Replace with King, Weller, Buderick, Powell, Bowes and maybe Constable and it'd be a massive difference. Ballard's injury shouldn't be underestimated either in that last quarter. Defence just crumbled.

Just watched the replay on afl.com, and it seemed the turning point was Atkins getting caught By Lyons 10 m out. Well that says a lot about our recruitment/delisting
I’d say the turning point was Ballard getting injured, leaving us an interceptor down and our structures weak. Also, getting smacked out of the middle in the past quarter didn’t help. Brisbane lifted their pressure and we didn’t/couldn’t match it.

Overall, Atkins was ok. Did some bad things, did some good things. Just like Weller/Powell when they play that role, sometimes he tried to take a tackler on when he shouldn’t have and got caught, or tried to bite off a risky kick which lead to a turnover. Also had a few good passages going forward though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlike Dewey to do that. I can’t recall him doing it before. Was diplomatic about it but you could tell he wasn’t happy.
He’s defended Rankine before when the media were after him earlier this season. Rankine was getting a hard tag last night, for sure. Held off every stoppage all game.

Cameron copped the same, in some ways. I think the difference is that defenders usually have eyes on the ball so it’s easier to tell if they don’t and are unfairly holding an opposition player. Not so easy around midfield or stoppages, as players are running every which way, and if you’re not near the ball chances are umps are not watching.

He’s defended Rankine before when the media were after him earlier this season. Rankine was getting a hard tag last night, for sure. Held off every stoppage all game.

Cameron copped the same, in some ways. I think the difference is that defenders usually have eyes on the ball so it’s easier to tell if they don’t and are unfairly holding an opposition player. Not so easy around midfield or stoppages, as players are running every which way, and if you’re not near the ball chances are umps are not watching.
Yeah I remember him defending Izak before but not questioning opponents’ tactics. Still I’d love to have a defender like Starcevich on our side. Gun.

It was several years ago (maybe even 5?) that the AFL clarified the blocking rule around stoppages, after a few taggers got highlighted in the media for not letting gun mids even run to the ball at a stoppage.
It is the same as a marking contest. If you are not looking at the ball and just blocking the run of the other player it should be a free kick.
That is what he was talking about. Looked like it happened a few times, not sure how many.

MacPherson invisible as well. Bizarre that we played him.
At least he has a crack unlike Lukoscious, Lazy and thinks he is much better than he is. Too many times you see him jogging after an opposition player, thats the the reason he isnt in the backline anymore as hes too lazy. Needs a big wake up call he does.

At least he has a crack unlike Lukoscious, Lazy and thinks he is much better than he is. Too many times you see him jogging after an opposition player, thats the the reason he isnt in the backline anymore as hes too lazy. Needs a big wake up call he does.
MacPherson with 7 disposals, including 5 contested possessions, 3 inside 50, 82 meters gained, 2 goal assists, 3 score involvements and no goals/behinds from his 7 disposals. He had 9 pressure acts and 4 tackles. He also earned 3 frees but gave away 2.

Luko with 11 disposals, 3 inside 50s, 221 meters gained, 2 goal assists, 4 contested possessions, kicked 1.2 (one which hit the post) to go with 13 pressure acts and 2 tackles. Could have been more efficient with the ball, but had 7 score involvements from his 11 disposals. He got one free for a great tackle, and gave away no frees.

So MacPherson with more tackles, Luko with more pressure acts. Most importantly, Luko’s touches led to more scores and gained more ground.

He was good at times, but I’d hardly say MacPherson was trying harder or offering more to the team. In fact, for a pressure player MacPherson did an average amount of pressuring.

MacPherson with 7 disposals, including 5 contested possessions, 3 inside 50, 82 meters gained, 2 goal assists, 3 score involvements and no goals/behinds from his 7 disposals. He had 9 pressure acts and 4 tackles. He also earned 3 frees but gave away 2.

Luko with 11 disposals, 3 inside 50s, 221 meters gained, 2 goal assists, 4 contested possessions, kicked 1.2 (one which hit the post) to go with 13 pressure acts and 2 tackles. Could have been more efficient with the ball, but had 7 score involvements from his 11 disposals. He got one free for a great tackle, and gave away no frees.

So MacPherson with more tackles, Luko with more pressure acts. Most importantly, Luko’s touches led to more scores and gained more ground.

He was good at times, but I’d hardly say MacPherson was trying harder or offering more to the team. In fact, for a pressure player MacPherson did an average amount of pressuring.
Not doubting your statistics but watching the game closely and we all know disposals these days are not a true indication he is lazy the way he chases and his efforts when not with the ball is what I’m taking about . Potential he walks all over Darcy but work rate and effort he is way behind Darcy .

Not doubting your statistics but watching the game closely and we all know disposals these days are not a true indication he is lazy the way he chases and his efforts when not with the ball is what I’m taking about . Potential he walks all over Darcy but work rate and effort he is way behind Darcy .
Are you saying that Lukos efforts are up to standard ?

He ain't lieing. If he is playing like a midfielder/ flanker needs to put in the effort as he can't play key position. Should play wing but needs to work on his tank.

Flanders is the same... is suppose to be a pressure player but thinks he's too good to go 100% like a Holman but does SFA else

Are you saying that Lukos efforts are up to standard ?
Luko’s just not a fast player compared to other wingers he sometimes matches up on, especially after two knee injuries this year, so they make him look slower. It was also only his second game back from injury.

But pressure acts measure whether someone is chasing and applying pressure to an opponent, which is as close to an effort mark as you can get stat wise. He beat MacPherson in this stat, which is literally MacPherson’s one specialty. I was just using the stats to point out that maybe Luko is doing more than MacPherson in many ways.

He can certainly improve though. Hopefully some games in a row to end the year will give him consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back