Autopsy Round 19 vs Brisbane @ Gabba 23.07.22 - 7:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically this

But it's disappointing, I want to be winning these games
Always seemed destined to end this way despite how well we played early.

Disappointing given age wise we are not really a young team, but it’s a hurdle we are going to have to learn to get over if we ever want to go anywhere.

I think our bottom 6 out there tonight is our real weak point against a full strength side. Still carrying a few too many players.

good that we kept up with them for 3 quarters, played really well. one day we'll run over the top of them. boys are just running out of legs, losing troops left and right. hole charlie is alright.

also, banish rory atkins to the farken under 16 academy. has a couple good moments but undoes it with the stupidest bloody mistakes. should never put on the guernsey again. FFS.

Ballard limping badly coming on to the ground to shake hands at the end

Walking very slow and stiff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The moment Ballard was subbed out I knew it was game over. Can we just take a moment to celebrate Hollands though? What an impressive young lad. He’s definitely got flare and X factor. Can’t wait to see his development over the coming years.
Absolutely this and thought the same. I'm not sure we've played many games without Ballard there, and you could see the structure change immeasurably once he wasn't there. For the worse, I mean.

The moment Ballard was subbed out I knew it was game over. Can we just take a moment to celebrate Hollands though? What an impressive young lad. He’s definitely got flare and X factor. Can’t wait to see his development over the coming years.
Had the same though with Ballard. He is so important for us.

Not sure how we cover him. Guess Thompson has to come in. Or Swing Day back. Or Luko as third tall? Unless we just play Andrew or Brock, which I can’t see happening yet.

Had the same though with Ballard. He is so important for us.

Not sure how we cover him. Guess Thompson has to come in. Or Swing Day back. Or Luko as third tall? Unless we just play Andrew or Brock, which I can’t see happening yet.
The truth is we can’t cover him, he is second in the league for intercept marks for a reason he is incredibly good at what he does.

The team were really trying to help free rankine up a bit.
Many players blocking for him around forward half stoppages.

Holman trying to put regular body pressure on starcevich well off the ball.

Good to see them sticking up for him against a historically tough opponent.

Chol does lots of good things.

But also could do so many more things with just 10% extra effort at times. Just seems to play lazily on occasion.

They cracked in tonight, we hit the post twice and missed a few easy ones... Frustrating thing for me and I hate to say it is that I thought we had the better of them for the first 2 1/2 quarters but got murdered by some bad umpiring early... it just kills momentum. You need that momentum to put scoreboard pressure on and we just couldnt do it.

Its actually an issue of ours, we struggle to put away teams when we have dominant patches.

Credit to Brisbane though they just had a bit more class when it counted.

Team still needs tweaking and I would have rather have Bowes out there playing whatever role Flanders, or Mcpherson were Playing.

This Game, Port and Collingwood are very close to going our way but it wasnt to be... Hopefully it hurts and we come back and bury a few teams next year.

We are building something!

They cracked in tonight, we hit the post twice and missed a few easy ones... Frustrating thing for me and I hate to say it is that I thought we had the better of them for the first 2 1/2 quarters but got murdered by some bad umpiring early... it just kills momentum. You need that momentum to put scoreboard pressure on and we just couldnt do it.

Its actually an issue of ours, we struggle to put away teams when we have dominant patches.

Credit to Brisbane though they just had a bit more class when it counted.

Team still needs tweaking and I would have rather have Bowes out there playing whatever role Flanders, or Mcpherson were Playing.

This Game, Port and Collingwood are very close to going our way but it wasnt to be... Hopefully it hurts and we come back and bury a few teams next year.

We are building something!
When Brisbane are bundled out in straight sets again and we have a full team next year l can't wait to play them.
When Ballard was subbed out we were missing 7 of our best 22. That's 1/3 of our best team.

Weird game stats wise

Witts 6th most disposals
Graham 7th most disposals

16 of our players had 11 disposals or less.

Probably at least partially a reflection of us not rotating mids into the centre square often.
Also, the lack of depth for a half forward or half back to pop up with 20+ disposals and significant influence on the game.

When Brisbane are bundled out in straight sets again and we have a full team next year l can't wait to play them.
When Ballard was subbed out we were missing 7 of our best 22. That's 1/3 of our best team.
Full list available our backline is probabably consisting of what?

Budarick, Collins, Lemmens
Weller, Ballard, Powell

we were missing 3 and lost a 4th mid game.

Proud that we played as well as we did given the circumstances.

Feels awfully similar to the Brisbane team of 2018. So close in so many games.

Weird game stats wise

Witts 6th most disposals
Graham 7th most disposals

16 of our players had 11 disposals or less.

Probably at least partially a reflection of us not rotating mids into the centre square often.
Also, the lack of depth for a half forward or half back to pop up with 20+ disposals and significant influence on the game.
To be honest, our small forwards were a big problem. Barely contributed across the board. Flanders and Holman did very little of impact (and haven’t for some time). MacPherson had a few GA at least, but still couldn’t impact when it counted. Hollands was the best, and it’s just his first game… which says a lot.

If Ainsworth or Rankine (who was basically held onto all game) could have got off the chain, that could have been the difference. Their small forwards were the difference for them, booting clutch goals. It’s that next level we need to find to get ten involved and threaten. When Rankine and/or Ainsworth are up and about we look very dangerous.

Interested to hear what people thought of Lukosius game.

You can certainly see how he could work in a forward line.
Precision kicking. Great vision.

Should have really kicked that first dribble goal. Think it was his lack of familiarity with the forward line and mis understood how much pressure was on him.
Would back him to kick the snap set shot 80% of the time too.
3 scoring shots, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements is good and would take that every week.

Although some negatives,
There were a number of times he flew in a pack with Casboult, Adams etc.. he is never marking that ball. Play to your strengths
Also, thought a few times he could have gone a bit harder. Either to make it to a contest, or within a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back