Random talk thread: real good talking about random stuff n that

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been interacting with Chops a Must on social media.

Poor fella is really going through a rough trot of what you could describe as depression and being completely broke and unemployed. Really disillusioned about having his career come to a grinding halt due to the economic climate.

I really enjoyed his contributions to this board back in the day, was a very intelligent and in the know person (even though I didn't always agree with him) and he is a really good bloke.

I followed his advice eventually to go to Darwin, but Darwin isn't as easy to find work as it once was due to similar reasons as northern WA. He's back living in Perth.

For the first time, scientists have imaged the brain on LSD.

1460399488645448.png

These findings may seem niche, but they add to a fundamental understanding of how the brain and consciousness works. By showing how LSD acts on the brain, they also bolster research into the therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs, which has lately seen something of a revival. In their conclusion, the researchers speculate that the “entropic” effects observed under LSD could help to disrupt psychiatric disorders in which the brain has “become entrenched in pathology, such that core behaviors become automated and rigid.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be worth trying to float the idea of returning to BF as a therapeutic outlet? Getting irrationally angry at flogs on the internet is a guaranteed way of forgetting your worries IRL and it would just be great to have him back again. When you mentioned Darwin recently I actually thought of chops but I never realised he was influential in your move there.

Chops is a good guy - would be good to have him around again. Good I tell you. Good.

I happened to leave my phone (and ipod) in a supposedly waterproof compartment on a mate's boat during our easter weekend trip, only to discover it wasn't as waterproof as he thought.

Now I've had to fork out for a new phone (which wasn't as easy as it sounds when you're not used to carrying much cash and suddenly discover in the store your credit card isn't working) and I'm stuck with an ipod that only works when it's connected to a power source (which is really handy for a 'portable' music device).

Having a pretty lucky week so far. Could be worse though - I could be a Port or GC supporter.
I had an Ipod shuffle put through the wash 3 times, the last time the missus done it again after I had just opened the 3rd one after one day :rolleyes: But the funny thing was the 2nd one still worked after but it done something to the battery where it would need recharging every time you used it nearly before eventually dying 6 months later. Took it back to JBs and they just gave us a new one on warranty. This 3rd one works fine except the back and pause button don't work. I wonder if they will give us another though ha, although I guess it's hard to prove it's water damage.

But also I was reading this electronics guy saying that he can waterproof his for swimming by just injecting like a $5 resin into it. So obviously Apple could water proof them all for practically nothing but they don't because they want to sell their alternate waterproof version for like an extra $60..

Figured this was as good a spot as any to share some recent finds..

Free app I discovered - Alfred - turns your old mobile phone into a home surveillance device.
Old phone hooks up to WiFi, and current mobile on 4g or WiFi can view, hear, talk to the old mobile at home.
Night vision works ok, can also switch on/off camera torch(flash) remotely.
Handy for checking on pets, also has motion sensor, but haven't tested that yet.

Crownbet App. All afl games streamed live. Can Chromecast but found apple tv better.

Amex Platinum Edge -
Complimentary Virgin return flight each year.
$0 annual fee first year, $195 thereafter.
Worth it for me, booked missus trip DRW to PER which was $700 for nothing, no taxes or anything.
Perth -> MEL is included, so worth well worth considering.
Rewards points accrued 3 to $1 at Coles/Woolies etc. 2 to $1 at petrol stations.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back