Hall & Oates
Kenny Loggins
Journey
Boz Scaggs
Rupert Holmes

Lucky to be in the top 10. Come at me.

Excellent list, Rob.

REO Speedwagon unlucky.

Personally I don't set sail on my yacht ('The Popped Collar') without taking some LRB along. But I'm crazy like that. Case in point, as pleased as I am to see them make your list, I'd probably replace the Eagles on a technicality and spice things up with a little George Benson for those times when shit gets really wild.

Last edited:

I believe I may have just unearthed the proverbial smoking gun.

logginsmessina.jpg

Excellent list, Rob.

REO Speedwagon unlucky.

Personally I don't set sail on my yacht ('The Popped Collar') without taking some LRB along. But I'm crazy like that. Case in point, as pleased as I'm am to see them make your list, I'd probably replace the Eagles on a technicality and spice things up with a little George Benson for those times when shit gets really wild.
Oh $DEITY, REO Speedwagon, Totally forgot. Ditch the one-hit wonder and Pommie genuine semi-fraud Holmes for them.
I believe I may have just unearthed the proverbial smoking gun.

logginsmessina.jpg
That. Is. Magnificent.

(BTW ToD, now the season's over all I have left to hope for in this wretched year is your eventual music wrap up. Been frantically ploughing through the All Songs Considered backlog to try and muster up some fake cred. Been enjoying Black Mountain and Bleached).

Me too.

I have ignored once....a campaigner in the Survivor thread a few years ago

Iirc, I did my first "ignore" ever, just this week. A campaigner in the JonBenet Ramsay crimes thread. Got under my skin with some incredibly inane posts (and didn't barrack for North). So, goodbye!

Oh $DEITY, REO Speedwagon, Totally forgot. Ditch the one-hit wonder and Pommie genuine semi-fraud Holmes for them.

That. Is. Magnificent.

(BTW ToD, now the season's over all I have left to hope for in this wretched year is your eventual music wrap up. Been frantically ploughing through the All Songs Considered backlog to try and muster up some fake cred. Been enjoying Black Mountain and Bleached).

I'm glad Rupert Holmes has been delisted - I'd never heard of him.

Did you consider Phil Collins, the solo artist? You could replace Steely Dan with Phil - they were never a "pop" group. But hey, it's your list and a bloody good one too.

see see hit the nail on the head earlier when he used the expression "sell out". Some of the guys on the list, like Boz Scaggs, were serious musicians (and probably poor) before the 80s.

I'm glad Rupert Holmes has been delisted - I'd never heard of him.

Did you consider Phil Collins, the solo artist? You could replace Steely Dan with Phil - they were never a "pop" group. But hey, it's your list and a bloody good one too.

see see hit the nail on the head earlier when he used the expression "sell out". Some of the guys on the list, like Boz Scaggs, were serious musicians (and probably poor) before the 80s.
No. Phil Collins never had Yacht Rock Hair.

Excellent list, Rob.

REO Speedwagon unlucky.

Personally I don't set sail on my yacht ('The Popped Collar') without taking some LRB along. But I'm crazy like that. Case in point, as pleased as I'm am to see them make your list, I'd probably replace the Eagles on a technicality and spice things up with a little George Benson for those times when shit gets really wild.
Chicago/Peter Cetera unlucky to miss too.

Intrigued, I went to a site titled "Top 100 Yacht Rock songs" which appropriately was at helloloser.com!

“So what is Yacht Rock?”

Yacht rock
is a retrospective term for certain soft rock music that peaked in popularity between the 1970s and 1980s becoming one of the biggest genres of its era. The term was coined in 2005 with the online video series Yacht Rock, created by J.D. Ryznar. The genre is closely associated with high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on big-hearted melodies.

The term was first used as a pejorative, but its stigma has lessened in later years. Additionally, since sailing was a popular leisure activity in Southern California, many "yacht rockers" made nautical references in their lyrics, videos, and album artwork, particularly the anthemic track "Sailing" by Christopher Cross.

Imagine you’ve invited a few of your closest mustache-wearing friends over to your yacht for a little party. Your first question should be “What are we going to listen to?” because this ain’t no ordinary party. No, this party has tons of expensive champagne and a bearded man lying in a hammock with a captain’s hat on. Don’t worry, though. Can you hear those sweet alto sax sounds in the background?

Yacht Rock is that smooth, mellow music that emanated from Southern California in the late 1970s and early 80s. It has long served as the anthem for the “yuppies” of the 80s, since they LOVE to listen to Yacht Rock as they cruise through the harbor on the way to meet their cocaine dealer. If you’ve ever visited the dentist or been in an elevator you’ve definitely heard some Yacht Rock.

yachty-by-nature.jpg

Oh dear!

Last edited:
I have a mate who I always argue footy with. We typically have slab bets. For example, about round 5 I bet with him about who would win the Premiership. He said Hawks and Eagles were the only ones with the list to do it, I took the field.

So next season we have two bets lined up, both arranged about a month ago, when I was feeling much more confident.
1) North will finish 1-10
2) North will finish higher than Collingwood.

Additionally, I have a running bet with my 5 high school mates that
3) The lowest of North (me), Collingwood, Bombers, Demons, Saints has to throw a party for the rest of them.

So how do you like my bets? Curious about rating my chances...

I have a mate who I always argue footy with. We typically have slab bets. For example, about round 5 I bet with him about who would win the Premiership. He said Hawks and Eagles were the only ones with the list to do it, I took the field.

So next season we have two bets lined up, both arranged about a month ago, when I was feeling much more confident.
1) North will finish 1-10
2) North will finish higher than Collingwood.

Additionally, I have a running bet with my 5 high school mates that
3) The lowest of North (me), Collingwood, Bombers, Demons, Saints has to throw a party for the rest of them.

So how do you like my bets? Curious about rating my chances...
Better stock up on balloons, steamers and pin the tail on the donkey sets.

Better stock up on balloons, steamers and pin the tail on the donkey sets.

Oh come on... our draw can't possibly be that bad... our injuries can't possibly get any worse. Saints especially had a dream run of injuries and literally the easiest draw in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Steamers? From Cleveland?
Of course. Anything else is just a cheap substitute.

PS - Good pick up. I'm not quite sure how well it reflects on me that my phone's predictive text went with that option. Clearly I type "steamer" more often than "streamer".

Got an angry email from Air Supply this morning. They want in.

They were also insistent in pointing out that even their band name is a direct reference to the driving force behind sailboats.

Haven't had a proper good listen to 'IV' yet (should get onto that), but I'm a Black Mountain fan. For a band whose music can get pretty dense and complex (and hippy-trippy) at times, they never lose sight of the groove. Actually enjoy Stephen McBean's solo project, Pink Mountaintops, even more.

Bleached's 'Welcome The Worms' is aces. I really liked their debut, but the follow-up is quite a margin better. Very cool album. Could well find a place in the end of year wrap. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Got an angry email from Air Supply this morning. They want in.

They were also insistent in pointing out that even their band name is a direct reference to the driving force behind sailboats.

Haven't had a proper good listen to 'IV' yet (should get onto that), but I'm a Black Mountain fan. For a band whose music can get pretty dense and complex (and hippy-trippy) at times, they never lose sight of the groove. Actually enjoy Stephen McBean's solo project, Pink Mountaintops, even more.

Bleached's 'Welcome The Worms' is aces. I really liked their debut, but the follow-up is quite a margin better. Very cool album. Could well find a place in the end of year wrap. :thumbsu:

I was at the Corner last night to see Ana Popovic and there it was on the wall outside when I was taking in some "fresh air". Black Mountain playing at the Corner in early October. Doing a few gigs down the east coast and then onto Perth. RobZombie, this heads up is meant for you too. :)

Mid 70s I went on my first footy club trip and we stayed at the Coogee Hotel. Saw my first ever topless waitresses, very distracting. There was a duo (maybe trio) playing in the corner of what was a very rough pub (is is still?). I said to a mate of mine how good they were but I think I was the only one listening as the rest of the boys were too drunk to notice the music or too busy chasing fluff. I remember telling him they would be a big hit one day as they had a couple of very good songs. It was Air Supply.

Mid 70s I went on my first footy club trip and we stayed at the Coogee Hotel. Saw my first ever topless waitresses, very distracting. There was a duo (maybe trio) playing in the corner of what was a very rough pub (is is still?). I said to a mate of mine how good they were but I think I was the only one listening as the rest of the boys were too drunk to notice the music or too busy chasing fluff. I remember telling him they would be a big hit one day as they had a couple of very good songs. It was Air Supply.

I remember the Coogee Bay Hotel from my first visit to it in 1987. My most recent visit was a couple of years ago and it's more gentrified than ye olde days, reflective of Sydney's Eastern suburban house prices and yuppification I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back