QFA Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree Thommo re connection with club - that is my only real criticism of the Academies and those who run it - is that they miss the fact that the psychological space a kid is in is really important to perform and their footy club will be the major support network when a kick in the guts (inevitably) occurs. I get the fact that they want to control players bc club coaches don't necessarily have the same thought process as the kid re what is their goals. Also i'm not sure they want to trust a QAFL / lower div coach with the development of the boy / girl. I actually think that Cumberland had the ideal pathway (in afunny sort of way). He only really was in the Academy in his final year, played senior footy at a reasonable level but as a key player for 1 year and spent his final year mixing bn club, rep and NEAFL (which is a necessary evil). The great thing is this kid never lost fact of who was his home club - he didn't move from a lower league (didn't have to) so he played juniors all the way through, colts, seniors came to games to watch and still trained occasionally with Maroochy during 2019. In fact he has been to a few of their training sessions during this preseason now including this morning. He knows wher his roots are and I'm positive this has held him in really good stead. Just as importantly his old man has too and hasn't become one of these fool parents that thinks their kid is a superstar and needs to start associating with those out of his "category" now.
If I had to structure the academy pathway I would make sure that kids train at club level for years U15-U16 twice per week, Academy 1x. In U17 year the kid needs to play QAFL/Div 1 really but again train 2x/wk with the club side and play consistent senior footy. Academy 2x/wk.
18th year the Academy owns them but ensure they are playing at least 3-4 matches with club side in this year still if it can happen, encouraging them to train whenever they can with club. All of this requires communication bn Academy and club. I'm not sure how it works in southern states but it appears kids rely less on club and more on school for that support now. Possibly SA/WA are different to Vic.

The Academies have a place in the QLD AFL environment because we have a disadvantage to southern states. However some review of communication to club & players need attention. The premise that a player is an Academy player first and club player second....or third needs attention and if they take 60 kids out of any age group they may need to be a little more honest about the chances of being drafted. The question is would Coleman, Cumberland, Buderick and Martyn have been drafted anyway whether we had Academies or not. As Thommo says wouldn't all 4 have made the state side anyway?

Understand why they have gone this way with no state team Lagging - it makes sense as it allows more kids to be in the mix for longer allowing for the later developer. TBH I'm not sure Cumberland would have made a State team if there was one selected in Jan this year. He certainly only made the Allies because old Jim Urquhart pushed his name forward after originally not making it. Its such a subjective process.

Understand why they have gone this way with no state team Lagging - it makes sense as it allows more kids to be in the mix for longer allowing for the later developer. TBH I'm not sure Cumberland would have made a State team if there was one selected in Jan this year. He certainly only made the Allies because old Jim Urquhart pushed his name forward after originally not making it. Its such a subjective process.
As stated previously I agree that the Academies serve an important part of the QLD footy environment. Looks like a few of us agree that there is room for better dealing with the local clubs

I reckon a lot of clubs will have trouble with getting grounds in reasonable knick for start of season if we don’t get any rain.
Clubs will be spending a lot of money on excess water. Need a few more storms like last night plus a bit of steady rain would be nice.

I reckon a lot of clubs will have trouble with getting grounds in reasonable knick for start of season if we don’t get any rain.
Clubs will be spending a lot of money on excess water. Need a few more storms like last night plus a bit of steady rain would be nice.

predicted to be a wet summer SM - think it will be okay

Won’t rain til the week before round 1 and then it will all get called off hahaha

No matter how I look at the changes to Junior/Youth Footy I cant see any positives? Obviously by the last 24 hours of media/social media QLD Footy is laughing stock Australia wide.

No matter how I look at the changes to Junior/Youth Footy I cant see any positives? Obviously by the last 24 hours of media/social media QLD Footy is laughing stock Australia wide.
Yes AFLQ got smashed yesterday!!! Haven’t heard of anyone who did the survey yet either... The only positive I can see is 16 a side in community cup. A lot of clubs struggle to fill teams so that will help. Everything else is bad!

Yes AFLQ got smashed yesterday!!! Haven’t heard of anyone who did the survey yet either... The only positive I can see is 16 a side in community cup. A lot of clubs struggle to fill teams so that will help. Everything else is bad!

Might help with numbers but still played under ludicrous rules

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what all the fuss is about the only time this rule will take effect is if your not a coach from Morningside,Coorparoo,Aspley,Yeronga.
And your safe if they can do a story on any future lady player that can kick a drop punt

Doesn't mean they are wrong SM - in fact reckon the ppl who should be laughed at are junior coaches who have been the cause of this new rule. TBH how many matches will it actually affect?

Doesn't mean they are wrong SM - in fact reckon the ppl who should be laughed at are junior coaches who have been the cause of this new rule. TBH how many matches will it actually affect?

With the scrapping of divs 2-5/6 it has a chance to affect a large number of games. I remember my last year of junior coaching in Grading one week played a team that would end up in the division below us and thumped them by 140 points then the following week played a team that would end up the division above and got beaten by 140 points and that was division span of 2,3,4 which is exactly what will happen next year. It also means that the smaller clubs that are trying to build a successful pathway between youth and seniors could potentially lose their top kids if they don’t have a div 1 side. What we had wasn’t perfect but this could have big flow on affects into senior football in the coming years especially with how valuable 1 pointers will be in qfa.

With the scrapping of divs 2-5/6 it has a chance to affect a large number of games. I remember my last year of junior coaching in Grading one week played a team that would end up in the division below us and thumped them by 140 points then the following week played a team that would end up the division above and got beaten by 140 points and that was division span of 2,3,4 which is exactly what will happen next year. It also means that the smaller clubs that are trying to build a successful pathway between youth and seniors could potentially lose their top kids if they don’t have a div 1 side. What we had wasn’t perfect but this could have big flow on affects into senior football in the coming years especially with how valuable 1 pointers will be in qfa.

Sorry mate - wasn't talking about the divisional changes which I'm not totally across. All I do know is there will be winners and losers and I agree, the last thing you want is kids chopping and changing clubs. But there will be people out there saying "about time, we need better standard of footy at the top levels". I'm not sure what the solution is tbh.
Talking more about the e-points system which some are making out is a Qld idea - already used in 2 other states and apparently goes well. Just a shame that some coaches have caused this to be brought in imo with a sheep station attitude.

they stated one of the reasons for the change is to stop the flow of the more talented kids changing clubs earlier.

yet every talented kid I know aged 11-15 is ringing around clubs checking who will have a Div 1 side.

Some clubs taking advantage of it already too, having information sessions about how they will be Div 1 in each age group and getting their rep players to ring their rep teammates and change clubs.

I totally get it too, if you're at a club thats solid and good enough to play Div 2, then you would just stay. However, now you're lumped in with Div 3-5 as well and being basically asked to tank games, of course you will move clubs!

they stated one of the reasons for the change is to stop the flow of the more talented kids changing clubs earlier.

yet every talented kid I know aged 11-15 is ringing around clubs checking who will have a Div 1 side.

Some clubs taking advantage of it already too, having information sessions about how they will be Div 1 in each age group and getting their rep players to ring their rep teammates and change clubs.

I totally get it too, if you're at a club thats solid and good enough to play Div 2, then you would just stay. However, now you're lumped in with Div 3-5 as well and being basically asked to tank games, of course you will move clubs!

Yeah not sure tanking = win by less than 90points. Usually refers to losing - which btw many junior coaches try to do to during grading games to ensure their side doesn't have to play in a higher grade (read: more chance of winning).
tbh these rules are in place bc human emotion gets in the way and adults start imposing their own personal definitions of life on a range of different kids. Classic example of this is" "you need to teach kids to learn how to lose". Really?? Last time I checked there are and always have been adults from 30-60 who are crap losers, who move clubs the minute their current one looks like going backwards, who spit the dummy pretty quickly and these people weren't subjected to this "new age thinking". Its just rubbish and major hyperbole.
Bottom line is no one in their right mind thinks that any kid is going to be better off playing in a team that loses by 100pts + every week and conversely nor are they doing themselves any favours by playing in a side that wins by this much each week. In a perfect world every game would be somewhere between 1pt and 8 goals and this obviously cannot happen at senior level - but it can at junior level where coaches can play a significant role in the result margin. The problem is many junior coaches have their own self esteem / ego attached to their win/loss ratio and potential premiership cabinet. When this becomes the motivation then you have major issues. As the league (of any sport) cant control who puts their hand up to coach a side, let alone the club itself very often, then rules need to be applied that protect against stupidity. For the most of us these rules seem ridiculous, who would try to win by 150 pts etc in a 12s game but like most rules in society they are there for the outliers who for all intensive purposes destroy it for everyone. The major aim of junior footy is to keep the kids coming back, keep them in sport long enough, and when they are emotionally mature / ready they will decide if they continue. When they leave at 13yrs of age its unlikely they come back.

Without knowing the rationale around the grading its hard to comment but again, if you were looking at it sensibly you would say " every kid has to play for their local club, period, and no transfers will be issued from clubs with small numbers to clubs with large numbers". That at least assists with equalisation and in the end all everyone wants is for the bottom placed side to be competitive vs the top placed side.
The best season of junior footy I ever coaches was in a 14s div 2 season - we had 4 games in a row separated by 1pt. 2 we lost, 1 we drew, 1 we won. Kids were spewin after the 4th game which we lost. My first words to all and sundry including parents (who really are the ones that need to have it sold to them) was "how lucky are you kids. There isn't a comp in Australia at this level that could allow this degree of evenness". Kids were a bit surprised as were the parents but they all went away stoked and not a mention of the result. Its how you sell the sizzle imo.

I coached u11s this year. the team I had usually won by 80+ points before we started doing our best to manipulate the game as best we could. this actually resulted in a loss for these kids for the first time in 3 seasons, but that was fine. there was no ladder and no finals anyway and I din't think they were that good, just our local comp wasn't that strong and other clubs let kids play up - whereas we make them play in their own age group.

My son is a reasonably handy player and he didn't even want to play anymore most weeks as he found it boring. Conversely, he was playing Rugby union for his school and in 9 matches they had 4 draws, 4 close wins and a close loss. As a result, he is more interested in rugby now because he enjoys competition.

Now they have changed the age groups to u11.5, he is u11.5 again and has ZERO interest in playing at all.

All these issues used to be slightly overcome once you get to u12s as its graded. Yes some clubs play dead in grading, AFLQ just flatly gets grading wrong and some clubs recruit at a ridiculously young level and ruin age groups. Also, some clubs are just naturally strong.

However., across the board its far better. However, with just 2 grades now I can't see how its anything other than a disaster.

Believe me, when you are coaching a group of young kids who are pretty good - its very hard to manipulate a result once they get on top. You also upset people cause you are forced to put the gun players on the bench and in the back pocket for long periods of time, which isn't very fair at all on the kids.

I coached u11s this year. the team I had usually won by 80+ points before we started doing our best to manipulate the game as best we could. this actually resulted in a loss for these kids for the first time in 3 seasons, but that was fine. there was no ladder and no finals anyway and I din't think they were that good, just our local comp wasn't that strong and other clubs let kids play up - whereas we make them play in their own age group.

My son is a reasonably handy player and he didn't even want to play anymore most weeks as he found it boring. Conversely, he was playing Rugby union for his school and in 9 matches they had 4 draws, 4 close wins and a close loss. As a result, he is more interested in rugby now because he enjoys competition.

Now they have changed the age groups to u11.5, he is u11.5 again and has ZERO interest in playing at all.

All these issues used to be slightly overcome once you get to u12s as its graded. Yes some clubs play dead in grading, AFLQ just flatly gets grading wrong and some clubs recruit at a ridiculously young level and ruin age groups. Also, some clubs are just naturally strong.

However., across the board its far better. However, with just 2 grades now I can't see how its anything other than a disaster.

Believe me, when you are coaching a group of young kids who are pretty good - its very hard to manipulate a result once they get on top. You also upset people cause you are forced to put the gun players on the bench and in the back pocket for long periods of time, which isn't very fair at all on the kids.

How will kids excel if they are discriminated for succeeding.
Premierships will be soon be interpreted as shameful

my concern is player retention and interest.

I'm the president of a QAFL club, I'm from a football family and my son has played every year for 6 years and loved it.

No interest in playing in 2020, wants to play rugby. If I can't keep my kids interested in footy, imagine what its like out there for 'non football house holds'

I'm not suggesting any of these rules are to blame either, as he had this attitude before they came out. But we sort of experienced a bit of it 12 months in advance this year and this is the result.

Can someone explain to us Non Presidents what the Div changes Are for Div one Downwards ?
There is nothing on the AFLQ website?

after Div 1, its called footy for fun and done geographically (like u8-11)

so div 2,3,4,5 are all just the one division now and its based on location only.

the obvious problem being that decent Div 2 sides now play Div 5 sides, which will create margins far greater than anyhing being experienced now and when you combined that with new penalties for large margins and its like they are creating a system that generates big margins, but then punishing them at the same time.

The other impact it causes is that talented kids all over the place will start moving clubs when they are 11, instead of 16-17.

the other interesting thing was that that in the footy for fun dicisions, its still 22 a side, but only 16 on the field. the explanation was 'so kids get their hands on the footy more'. I would have thought with 25% plus of your team sitting on the pine, they will probably touch it less!

after Div 1, its called footy for fun and done geographically (like u8-11)

so div 2,3,4,5 are all just the one division now and its based on location only.

the obvious problem being that decent Div 2 sides now play Div 5 sides, which will create margins far greater than anyhing being experienced now and when you combined that with new penalties for large margins and its like they are creating a system that generates big margins, but then punishing them at the same time.

The other impact it causes is that talented kids all over the place will start moving clubs when they are 11, instead of 16-17.

the other interesting thing was that that in the footy for fun dicisions, its still 22 a side, but only 16 on the field. the explanation was 'so kids get their hands on the footy more'. I would have thought with 25% plus of your team sitting on the pine, they will probably touch it less!
I think aflq are assuming div 2 teams and clubs with more then 1 team will join the top division. It’s going to be a mess though ! Swans north lakes and Redcliffe are in the same zone but only Redcliffe has youth footy so how’s that gunna work !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back