QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Dane Swan having a run around for maroochydore's 3rds tonight at Fish rd if anyone is up this way and interested. Vs caloundra

Sniffing a little upset at Sherwood are we Longy?

I see MtGravatt named no interchange players again this week in Ressies and only two on bench in Colts. Appear to be treading water with numbers?

Understand last week up the coast but playing locally this week. Not trying to bash them as they have 5 of our players over there so we playing our part, but Headquarters must be very nervous.
I’m second last in the tipping, I wouldn’t take anything I do too seriously!

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 6

Wilston Grange V Broadbeach

Played 18: Wilston Grange 6 wins – Broadbeach 12 (QAFL 2014-2023)
The two clubs have only ever met in the QAFL-level League. Broadbeach came into the QSFL in 1997 whilst Grange was rebuilding. Eventually, they found themselves in the same QAFL competition in 2014 when Broadbeach returned from their time in the NEAFL.
The results have favoured the Cats. Although it is not a big base of clashes, it still represents the second highest total of the six games being played this week. There has been a margin of less than 10 points on four occasions – and this has occurred twice in their past three games.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Redland Victoria Point
Played 5: Palm Beach 1 – Redland 4 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Their history is so tiny. Both clubs have done a good job of avoiding each other. Redland was promoted to the AFLQ competition in 2000, the same year Palm Beach joined the AFLSQ when the GCAFL merged with the BAFL. Then beyond that, the Sharks’ NEAFL commitments kept the two clubs separated further.
Anyway, they finally met. Three of their games have been decided by less than 15 points, including one Semi-Final which was decided by a solitary point in Redland’s favour.

Labrador V Aspley
Played 14: Labrador 6 – Aspley 8 (2009-2013, 2022-2023)
Whilst Labrador were admitted to the QSFL in 1997, Aspley took decidedly longer to establish themselves at the top level. The Hornets were generally strong in the BAFL and AFLSQ competitions – they just took a little longer to make the next step. Once they did, they have been quite phenomenal since then.
All of Aspley’s eight victories have been achieved in the past ten clashes between the clubs.

Maroochydore V Surfers Paradise
Played 11: Maroochydore 4 – Draw 1 – Surfers Paradise 6 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2020-2023)
Total 21: Maroochydore 10 – Draw 1 – Surfers Paradise 10 (2005-2013, 2020-2023)
Once again, it is not a massive history - but it couldn’t be any closer!
Finally, there is a game in this Round that has some pre-QAFL history. And if we take it all into account, it looks like a fantastic rivalry that ought to be developed between the two clubs. The margins have been all over the place – there have been some large differences from time to time. But the past results may augur something interesting this weekend.
Also, I am interested in people’s opinions of this: as part of Maroochydore’s history, I include results from under the club name “Maroochydore/Northshore”. However, I do not include “Northshore” games. Any thoughts?

Morningside V Mt Gravatt
Played 73: Morningside 42 – Draw 1 – Mt Gravatt 30 (QAFL 1994-2023)
This game is the most historically significant by far this weekend – and yet, because of current circumstances, it is also relatively depressing. Sixteen games have been decided by a single-digit margin. The two clubs have met in nine finals matches, including Grand Finals in 2003 and 2009.
Everyone knows the situation. For the benefit of both clubs, I’m just going to move on.

Sherwood V Noosa
Played 10: Sherwood 6 – Noosa 4 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 20: Sherwood 13 – Noosa 7 (2000, 2005-2008, 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Prior to their QAFL history, the two clubs met in the 2006 AFLSQ Grand Final. They also clashed in an AFLSQ Qualifying Final and Preliminary Final in 2009. Overall, the Magpies have had the upper hand – but not to any overwhelming degree.
Here is another note for opinions (not that it has any impact on this particular game): my results recorded for Sherwood include the games they played as Western Magpies. However, they do not include results for West Brisbane, which in my opinion, is clearly Western Districts under a different guise. Any thoughts?
The reason I mention the results for Maroochydore and Sherwood this week is because I have a question I want to ask the group regarding the historical results of Coorparoo. I’ll include it in a separate post though.

That’s all I’ve got for this week. Work is incredibly busy – but this post is a good diversion for me.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 6

Wilston Grange V Broadbeach

Played 18: Wilston Grange 6 wins – Broadbeach 12 (QAFL 2014-2023)
The two clubs have only ever met in the QAFL-level League. Broadbeach came into the QSFL in 1997 whilst Grange was rebuilding. Eventually, they found themselves in the same QAFL competition in 2014 when Broadbeach returned from their time in the NEAFL.
The results have favoured the Cats. Although it is not a big base of clashes, it still represents the second highest total of the six games being played this week. There has been a margin of less than 10 points on four occasions – and this has occurred twice in their past three games.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Redland Victoria Point
Played 5: Palm Beach 1 – Redland 4 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Their history is so tiny. Both clubs have done a good job of avoiding each other. Redland was promoted to the AFLQ competition in 2000, the same year Palm Beach joined the AFLSQ when the GCAFL merged with the BAFL. Then beyond that, the Sharks’ NEAFL commitments kept the two clubs separated further.
Anyway, they finally met. Three of their games have been decided by less than 15 points, including one Semi-Final which was decided by a solitary point in Redland’s favour.

Labrador V Aspley
Played 14: Labrador 6 – Aspley 8 (2009-2013, 2022-2023)
Whilst Labrador were admitted to the QSFL in 1997, Aspley took decidedly longer to establish themselves at the top level. The Hornets were generally strong in the BAFL and AFLSQ competitions – they just took a little longer to make the next step. Once they did, they have been quite phenomenal since then.
All of Aspley’s eight victories have been achieved in the past ten clashes between the clubs.

Maroochydore V Surfers Paradise
Played 11: Maroochydore 4 – Draw 1 – Surfers Paradise 6 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2020-2023)
Total 21: Maroochydore 10 – Draw 1 – Surfers Paradise 10 (2005-2013, 2020-2023)
Once again, it is not a massive history - but it couldn’t be any closer!
Finally, there is a game in this Round that has some pre-QAFL history. And if we take it all into account, it looks like a fantastic rivalry that ought to be developed between the two clubs. The margins have been all over the place – there have been some large differences from time to time. But the past results may augur something interesting this weekend.
Also, I am interested in people’s opinions of this: as part of Maroochydore’s history, I include results from under the club name “Maroochydore/Northshore”. However, I do not include “Northshore” games. Any thoughts?

Morningside V Mt Gravatt
Played 73: Morningside 42 – Draw 1 – Mt Gravatt 30 (QAFL 1994-2023)
This game is the most historically significant by far this weekend – and yet, because of current circumstances, it is also relatively depressing. Sixteen games have been decided by a single-digit margin. The two clubs have met in nine finals matches, including Grand Finals in 2003 and 2009.
Everyone knows the situation. For the benefit of both clubs, I’m just going to move on.

Sherwood V Noosa
Played 10: Sherwood 6 – Noosa 4 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 20: Sherwood 13 – Noosa 7 (2000, 2005-2008, 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Prior to their QAFL history, the two clubs met in the 2006 AFLSQ Grand Final. They also clashed in an AFLSQ Qualifying Final and Preliminary Final in 2009. Overall, the Magpies have had the upper hand – but not to any overwhelming degree.
Here is another note for opinions (not that it has any impact on this particular game): my results recorded for Sherwood include the games they played as Western Magpies. However, they do not include results for West Brisbane, which in my opinion, is clearly Western Districts under a different guise. Any thoughts?
The reason I mention the results for Maroochydore and Sherwood this week is because I have a question I want to ask the group regarding the historical results of Coorparoo. I’ll include it in a separate post though.

That’s all I’ve got for this week. Work is incredibly busy – but this post is a good diversion for me.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:
Great outline as usual Toucan.

West Brisbane Warriors was a merger between longtime neighbours Western Districts & Sherwood with games played at Chelmer oval. Won a premiership in 1996??? And then disbanded. The “inclusive” Western Magpies emerged soon after I think you should because the name change back to Sherwood is just that, name change. I suppose the answer to the question may be assisted by do you include Sandgate in the short term but successful merger with Zillmere to make North Brisbane/Northern Eagles that played at Zillmere? Thommo please correct any of this.

Coorparoo is a slightly different one. Same name (although nickname of Roos v Kings), they play at Giffin Park, where the precise same Carlton style uniform and there have been Roos old boys reunions held at Kings home games. Both the Kings and Mayne call each other traditional rivals for their ANZAC clash so the long term is used when convenient.

SMY, what’s the detailed history connections with the Maroochydore name?

Great outline as usual Toucan.

West Brisbane Warriors was a merger between longtime neighbours Western Districts & Sherwood with games played at Chelmer oval. Won a premiership in 1996??? And then disbanded. The “inclusive” Western Magpies emerged soon after I think you should because the name change back to Sherwood is just that, name change. I suppose the answer to the question may be assisted by do you include Sandgate in the short term but successful merger with Zillmere to make North Brisbane/Northern Eagles that played at Zillmere? Thommo please correct any of this.

Coorparoo is a slightly different one. Same name (although nickname of Roos v Kings), they play at Giffin Park, where the precise same Carlton style uniform and there have been Roos old boys reunions held at Kings home games. Both the Kings and Mayne call each other traditional rivals for their ANZAC clash so the long term is used when convenient.

SMY, what’s the detailed history connections with the Maroochydore name?
West Brisbane Bulldogs not warriors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back