QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Damo, and I dont see why they would ,, The AFL are looking at major restructures with this comp which may well see Southport Sharks not being a participant ,, so if that occurs where do they play ,, The QAFL ,, !!!!
Not sure what changes there will be to VFL Stu as I know Port Adelaide want in but SANFL hold license to Crows so they won’t let them into VFL so one won’t go without other.

I also hear Fremantle in no hurry so not sure apart from Tassie what changes in VFL. They might make 2 x Conferences so everyone plays each other twice then a crossover finals maybe.

Just conjecture from me - but I've often wondered what would become of Southport if the AFL restructured the VFL to form an AFL Reserves comp.
Its a consideration that goes beyond Southport alone, as there will be impacts on standalone Victorian clubs. I would imagine the AFL will feel a sense of responsibility to those clubs too, and attempt to find a way to cater for them in some manner.
What would become of those clubs? And would Southport be included in the equation/solution? Could that potentially extend to a club such as Aspley etc too?
(I have no knowledge or information on any of these matters.)

Round 3 Results

(The Matter that’s Stuff)

More QAFL Scorigami (ie, how often a recent score has occurred in past fixtures) for Round 3:

Palm Beach Currumbin 17-16-118 d Noosa 11-18-84
This score has occurred once previously (a SEQAFL result from the NEAFL era):
2012 R7: Maroochydore 17-16-118 d Springwood 12-12-84 at Lowe Oval

Redland Victoria Point 8-12-60 d Broadbeach 7-14-56
This score has occurred once previously (but not for over 100 years):
1908 R9: City 60 d Ipswich 56 at Queen’s Park
This is the second 4-point result this season, reinforcing it as the fourth most frequent margin (137 times).

Aspley 13-8-86 d Surfers Paradise 13-7-85
This score has occurred three times previously:
1967 R1: Windsor Zillmere 12-14-86 d Mayne 12-13-85
1979 R1: Wilston Grange 11-20-86 d Mayne 13-7-85 at Windsor Park
2001 R3: Morningside 12-14-86 d Labrador 13-7-85 at Hawthorne Park
The celebrated or dreaded one-point margin result (depending upon your perspective). It has rejoined “27 points” as the second most frequent margin having occurred 143 times each. Both are catching up with “22 points” in first place with 145 occasions.

Wilston Grange 12-11-83 d Maroochydore 4-10-34
This score has never occurred before.

Labrador 27-16-178 d Mt Gravatt 6-4-40

Morningside 17-8-110 d Sherwood 11-8-74

But what can they possibly do now? Can’t just drop them into div 1. Can’t change any rules because a team is struggling. I understand it sucks for the vultures and it is really sad to see but just because it’s QAFL doesn’t mean any special changes.

Arguments can be made from any other team sitting at the bottom of the ladder and getting smashed in other comps that they deserve help but really what can AFLQ actually do. Poor management on and off the field at the Vultures for years led to this. Only suggestion would be AFLQ promoting players to come and join Mt Gravatt. But even then that’s special treatment. Sandgate never got any special treatment when they were trying to survive in QAFL.

It’s only going to get worse too, they’ve had three home games in a row and been beaten all 3 times royally.

Sandgate did win one game and were competitive in several others for the 2019 season. The Vultures will not win a single game this season. They won’t even challenge anyone. This is a very special case IMO, the QAFL needs to act. We will see the Vultures lose all or the majority of their games by 100+

What exactly can QAFL do?
There’s obviously not many players around atm (maybe a few in Darwin) but If I’m a half decent player, I’m not signing at Mt Gravatt unless the $$$ are just ridiculous.

I’m not sure they’ll be able to attract players mid season. I wouldn’t be signing up to get belted every week.

They are just going to have to ride it out and cop what comes. Seasons end will determine their next move.

Nothing can be done once the season has started

why would it be AFLQ's job? They are hardly doing a great job themselves, don't think they have the solutions to run a club either.

Things will get worse, not better. The handy types will seek alternative arrangements, jump off with the rest of the 'great clubmen' that deserted the joint

Sandgate did win one game and were competitive in several others for the 2019 season. The Vultures will not win a single game this season. They won’t even challenge anyone. This is a very special case IMO, the QAFL needs to act. We will see the Vultures lose all or the majority of their games by 100+
Aspley and RVP are dragging the competition up. The top 8 clubs have recruited well in response. There wont be any sympathy for MTG gameday as the top 6 is going to be well contested. Every side is going to have to try and improve their % when they play MTG.

Its inevitable MTG will lose senior players to injury as the season progresses with no 1st grade quality senior depth to draw from.

Despite All the off season concerns, AFLQ decided to keep MTG in the comp. AFLQ shouldn't abandon MTG now the inevitable has happened, and should back their earlier decision with $$. There ARE options if they want to think outside the box.

There is some real good young talent in the NT that could be flown down, and would love the opportunity to play in the QAFL and wouldn't want match payments... just for the opportunity and the adventure. NT academy would know all the 18-25yo boys who are suitable.

Aspley and RVP are dragging the competition up. The top 8 clubs have recruited well in response. There wont be any sympathy for MTG gameday as the top 6 is going to be well contested. Every side is going to have to try and improve their % when they play MTG.

Its inevitable MTG will lose senior players to injury as the season progresses with no 1st grade quality senior depth to draw from.

Despite All the off season concerns, AFLQ decided to keep MTG in the comp. AFLQ shouldn't abandon MTG now the inevitable has happened, and should back their earlier decision with $$. There ARE options if they want to think outside the box.

There is some real good young talent in the NT that could be flown down, and would love the opportunity to play in the QAFL and wouldn't want match payments... just for the opportunity and the adventure. NT academy would know all the 18-25yo boys who are suitable.
You are dreaming if you think they are coming down for free, I have first hand info of what blokes get to fly down south from Darwin and it’s good cash

The blokes available in Darwin not already flying down south would be worst then what Mt Gravatt have now, also the best academy kids are already down south playing TAC cup as a few go to boarding school.

Move on the season has started and they won’t win a game but at least they have got 3 teams going each week.

You are dreaming if you think they are coming down for free, I have first hand info of what blokes get to fly down south from Darwin and it’s good cash

The blokes available in Darwin not already flying down south would be worst then what Mt Gravatt have now, also the best academy kids are already down south playing TAC cup as a few go to boarding school.

Move on the season has started and they won’t win a game but at least they have got 3 teams going each week.
*1st, Perhaps $100 to cover some small costs, food etc.
*What some players get matters not. Plenty of 18-25yo would be up for an adventure.
*Only 18-19yo are playing TAC for the academy and will be over soon. If they are living in VIC or SA, then they arent available..
*Plenty of 20-21-22-23-24-25 year olds would be up for it.

AFLQ decided MTG were good to go for the 2024 season. One would think AFLQ have an obligation to the QAFL comp for MTG to be at least competitive?

Anyway, just an idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, many of the players from the NT are Indigenous. The Elly Bennett hostel could be an option for players looking at an extended stay? (Perhaps overnight? )

"..Our hostels are like a home away from home, so whatever your reason for staying with us – visiting friends, cultural business, studying, working or attending community events – you’ll always feel welcome..."

Why would the fees paid by other clubs be used by AFLQ to prop up a basket case?

You’re deluded mate if you think they’d even bother considering this let alone do it.

You are probably right that it wont be considered. Im just saying its possible.

There are 4 potential partners in this;
AFLQ
MTG
Suns academy (and their sponsors)
Gov Indigenous programs/funding. (please leave the social/political argument out of it)

Im not saying it isnt without hurdles, im just saying there is an opportunity for something positive to come from an unfortunate situation if concerned parties would come together and make it work?

AFLQ
MTG
Gov Indigenous programs/funding. (please leave the social/political argument out of it)

Im not saying it isnt without hurdles, im just saying there is an opportunity for something positive to come from an unfortunate situation if concerned parties would come together and make it work?
I hear where your coming from but its all to late ...
Nothing has been said about Mt Gravatt and its actions ... they are the ones that where determined to stay alive this season even after loosing so many players in the off season .. I understand there are loyal people at the club that must of worked their butts off to keep the club in the QAFL but maybe they should of opted/ requested a relegation to Div 1 .

*1st, Perhaps $100 to cover some small costs, food etc.
*What some players get matters not. Plenty of 18-25yo would be up for an adventure.
*Only 18-19yo are playing TAC for the academy and will be over soon. If they are living in VIC or SA, then they arent available..
*Plenty of 20-21-22-23-24-25 year olds would be up for it.

AFLQ decided MTG were good to go for the 2024 season. One would think AFLQ have an obligation to the QAFL comp for MTG to be at least competitive?

Anyway, just an idea.

$100 lol, blokes that play 2s footy in Darwin are getting $800 a game to fly down to country Victoria.

can you tell me why Mt Gravatt are in this situation?

AFLQ
MTG

What was stopping Mounties from ringing players in Darwin 3 months ago if this was an option?

I’d be surprised by the end of the year with the amount of beltings they will get that they would be lucky to have a team in div 1 next year, let alone a competitive one. This stuff happens in leagues all over Australia. We are fortunate it doesn’t happen here in QAFL as much and I get it’s getting more attention as it’s a QAFL team. But any solutions to help mend the damage should have been done during the praccy games or before. All we can do now is watch them fall apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back