QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to see Broady v palmy this weekend. Since QAFL was re formed palmy had a stranglehold on Broady winning every game from 2014-2019 except for once from memory. Since 2020 I believe Broady have won every match.

Im sure Toucan Soup is all over it

Interested to see Broady v palmy this weekend. Since QAFL was re formed palmy had a stranglehold on Broady winning every game from 2014-2019 except for once from memory. Since 2020 I believe Broady have won every match.

That suggests to me that you think that it’s time for a change to that result?

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 4

Broadbeach V Palm Beach Currumbin

Played 23: Broadbeach 9 wins – Palm Beach 14 (QAFL 2014-2023)
A common lament (Part 1)
We all know the numbers shown above are just a glimpse of their history. During the decade that both clubs have been represented in the QAFL-level competitions, their 23 encounters have produced a distinct pattern: Palm Beach won 14 of the first 15 games, followed by Broadbeach winning the next 8 clashes. Across all of these games, I have found that only two were decided by less than 10 points.
Of course, what I can’t tell you is how many times the two clubs met in the Gold Coast League prior to the Cats’ promotion in 1997. If we determine that Broadbeach entered the Gold Coast comp in 1971, and Palm Beach was already there (and doing very well), then we can see that there are 26 seasons of results lost in the fog of the past. If they clashed 2 or 3 times a season (not even allowing for finals), then that would easily account for 60 extra results that have become oblivious. Wouldn’t it be good to find these results and get a better view of the past!

Surfers Paradise V Labrador
Played 19: Surfers Paradise 9 – Labrador 10 (QAFL 2014-2023)
A common lament (Part 2)
As you will see below, it was a long break between drinks for these two clubs – but what a great record since then! The record is very even – and the four games decided by a single-digit margin have all occurred in the last six meetings. That augurs something special for this week’s game.
However, once again, the Gold Coast League’s history has not been included. The Tigers, like Broadbeach, were also elevated to QAFL in 1997. As “More Of The Kangaroo” shows both clubs in their League as early as 1965, then across the ensuing 32 seasons, it could be entirely possible that they met a further 80 times. In fact, this game is a replay of the 1993 Grand Final…and the 1992 Grand Final…and the 1970 Grand Final. Why would we erase that from our memories?

Wilston Grange V Morningside
Played 122: Wilston Grange 51 – Draw 1 - Morningside 70 (QAFL 1950, 1953-1989, 2014-2023)
Tradition is not lost with an earthquake – it is more like slow erosion. Change can be good – but it is also helpful for posts like this that there are clubs such as these two still around. Their retrievable history is something to admire.
Both clubs have had success and heartbreak along their respective journeys. Check out the years above! That kind of history is not insignificant – and their rivalry represents the most prolific remaining in the modern QAFL. (I will add here that the record shown above does not include any Kedron Grange results. Opinions on this may differ.)
There have been 17 games decided by less than 10 points – a further 12 have been triple-figure hidings. Both clubs have been on both sides of that ledger. No matter who wins this week, I’m looking forward to adding the result to the database.
When the Gorillas kick their sixth goal this week, it will be their 1500th goal against Morningside.

Noosa V Maroochydore
Played 11: Noosa 6 – Draw 1 - Maroochydore 4 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 63: Noosa 34 – Draw 1 - Maroochydore 28 (Overall 1994-1997, 2005-2019, 2021-2023)
A common lament (Part 3)
This one was difficult for me to tally. The records are all over the place (although I’m working on getting them in a proper order). I accept that I might have some details wrong.
Is this some sort of perceived QAFL Rivalry Round? Because if it is, this has to be the biggest of Round 4. Similar to other clashes, these clubs have potentially been playing each other since the early 1970s in the Sunshine Coast League. This continued up until the Sunshine Coast comp folded to merge with the BAFL in 1994. Once again, we have 20+ seasons of results unaccounted, which could mean the two clubs have played each other over 130 times in total. This includes numerous Grand Finals – which given more time, I’ll have to figure out the years involved.
This game is almost equivalent to the AFL’s ANZAC Day clash, in as much as no matter how both teams are travelling, it is frequently closely fought. I reckon there will be a big crowd at Weyba Street for this one.

Redland Victoria Point V Mt Gravatt
Played 37: Redland 16 – Mt Gravatt 21 (QAFL 2000-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 53: Redland 21 – Mt Gravatt 32 (Overall 1988-1993, 2000-2013, 2021-2023)
Look, everyone knows the Sharks will win this game. It would take something extraordinary to be otherwise.
However, let’s look at their record against each other. There have been four QAFL games decided by less than 10 points – whilst eight matches have resulted in 100+ point margins. In fact, of those eight games, seven were won by Mt Gravatt. The greatest winning margin between the two clubs is 197 points (won by Mt Gravatt). The wheel keeps turning.
I will not suggest that the Vultures’ future won’t be in a different grade – but for 2024, as bleak as it may be, they are in this competition, and genuinely trying to compete against their opponents as best as they can. There are two thoughts I can offer here: 1) don’t be too eager to trash a historically significant club (not for the sake of the trivial numbers that I produce here, but for the importance of retaining the organisation and facility for the code locally), and 2) be very careful about seeking League intervention into the management of any club (it is a Pandora’s Box best avoided).
You don’t have to agree with my thoughts – I just wanted to share an alternative perspective.

Sherwood V Aspley
Played 7: Sherwood 0 – Aspley 7 (QAFL 2009-2010, 2022-2023)
Total 38: Sherwood 31 – Aspley 7 (Overall 1975-1982, 2000, 2005-2010, 2022-2023)
No! That can’t be right. I had to check my database twice.
Prior to the clash in Round 5 2009 in the revamped AFLQ Division 1, Aspley had NEVER defeated Sherwood at Senior level. Since then, the Hornets have won seven consecutive games (with a twelve-year gap in the meetings). However, before that run of success for Aspley, the Magpies were always successful in the SQAFA and various AFLSQ competitions. It coincides with a period of dominance by Sherwood, including the SQAFA 1981 Grand Final. The margins were rarely close. In fact, of the 38 games I have recorded, there has only ever been one game decided by less than 10 points – and that was the Round 5 2009 fixture.
Sherwood will always be a tougher at their home ground. Could Aspley be vulnerable?

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Dezario is spot on re the Broadbeach V Palm Beach history. Great stuff.
I wonder if you have access to any info prior to 1997?

Food for thought ;
if Redlands gun full forward be it Hammelmann averaged just over 5 goals a game last season .
This season hes a bit below that average but will most likely blow that average to pieces after tomorrows game against Mt Gravatt ..
Interesting to note that these sides meet again in round 18. So if Hamma is averageing 5 a game he will be on 85 goals right .
So he would need 15 to hit the ton which may well be the case in this particular game.

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 4

Broadbeach V Palm Beach Currumbin

Played 23: Broadbeach 9 wins – Palm Beach 14 (QAFL 2014-2023)
A common lament (Part 1)
We all know the numbers shown above are just a glimpse of their history. During the decade that both clubs have been represented in the QAFL-level competitions, their 23 encounters have produced a distinct pattern: Palm Beach won 14 of the first 15 games, followed by Broadbeach winning the next 8 clashes. Across all of these games, I have found that only two were decided by less than 10 points.
Of course, what I can’t tell you is how many times the two clubs met in the Gold Coast League prior to the Cats’ promotion in 1997. If we determine that Broadbeach entered the Gold Coast comp in 1971, and Palm Beach was already there (and doing very well), then we can see that there are 26 seasons of results lost in the fog of the past. If they clashed 2 or 3 times a season (not even allowing for finals), then that would easily account for 60 extra results that have become oblivious. Wouldn’t it be good to find these results and get a better view of the past!

Surfers Paradise V Labrador
Played 19: Surfers Paradise 9 – Labrador 10 (QAFL 2014-2023)
A common lament (Part 2)
As you will see below, it was a long break between drinks for these two clubs – but what a great record since then! The record is very even – and the four games decided by a single-digit margin have all occurred in the last six meetings. That augurs something special for this week’s game.
However, once again, the Gold Coast League’s history has not been included. The Tigers, like Broadbeach, were also elevated to QAFL in 1997. As “More Of The Kangaroo” shows both clubs in their League as early as 1965, then across the ensuing 32 seasons, it could be entirely possible that they met a further 80 times. In fact, this game is a replay of the 1993 Grand Final…and the 1992 Grand Final…and the 1970 Grand Final. Why would we erase that from our memories?

Wilston Grange V Morningside
Played 122: Wilston Grange 51 – Draw 1 - Morningside 70 (QAFL 1950, 1953-1989, 2014-2023)
Tradition is not lost with an earthquake – it is more like slow erosion. Change can be good – but it is also helpful for posts like this that there are clubs such as these two still around. Their retrievable history is something to admire.
Both clubs have had success and heartbreak along their respective journeys. Check out the years above! That kind of history is not insignificant – and their rivalry represents the most prolific remaining in the modern QAFL. (I will add here that the record shown above does not include any Kedron Grange results. Opinions on this may differ.)
There have been 17 games decided by less than 10 points – a further 12 have been triple-figure hidings. Both clubs have been on both sides of that ledger. No matter who wins this week, I’m looking forward to adding the result to the database.
When the Gorillas kick their sixth goal this week, it will be their 1500th goal against Morningside.

Noosa V Maroochydore
Played 11: Noosa 6 – Draw 1 - Maroochydore 4 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 63: Noosa 34 – Draw 1 - Maroochydore 28 (Overall 1994-1997, 2005-2019, 2021-2023)
A common lament (Part 3)
This one was difficult for me to tally. The records are all over the place (although I’m working on getting them in a proper order). I accept that I might have some details wrong.
Is this some sort of perceived QAFL Rivalry Round? Because if it is, this has to be the biggest of Round 4. Similar to other clashes, these clubs have potentially been playing each other since the early 1970s in the Sunshine Coast League. This continued up until the Sunshine Coast comp folded to merge with the BAFL in 1994. Once again, we have 20+ seasons of results unaccounted, which could mean the two clubs have played each other over 130 times in total. This includes numerous Grand Finals – which given more time, I’ll have to figure out the years involved.
This game is almost equivalent to the AFL’s ANZAC Day clash, in as much as no matter how both teams are travelling, it is frequently closely fought. I reckon there will be a big crowd at Weyba Street for this one.

Redland Victoria Point V Mt Gravatt
Played 37: Redland 16 – Mt Gravatt 21 (QAFL 2000-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 53: Redland 21 – Mt Gravatt 32 (Overall 1988-1993, 2000-2013, 2021-2023)
Look, everyone knows the Sharks will win this game. It would take something extraordinary to be otherwise.
However, let’s look at their record against each other. There have been four QAFL games decided by less than 10 points – whilst eight matches have resulted in 100+ point margins. In fact, of those eight games, seven were won by Mt Gravatt. The greatest winning margin between the two clubs is 197 points (won by Mt Gravatt). The wheel keeps turning.
I will not suggest that the Vultures’ future won’t be in a different grade – but for 2024, as bleak as it may be, they are in this competition, and genuinely trying to compete against their opponents as best as they can. There are two thoughts I can offer here: 1) don’t be too eager to trash a historically significant club (not for the sake of the trivial numbers that I produce here, but for the importance of retaining the organisation and facility for the code locally), and 2) be very careful about seeking League intervention into the management of any club (it is a Pandora’s Box best avoided).
You don’t have to agree with my thoughts – I just wanted to share an alternative perspective.

Sherwood V Aspley
Played 7: Sherwood 0 – Aspley 7 (QAFL 2009-2010, 2022-2023)
Total 38: Sherwood 31 – Aspley 7 (Overall 1975-1982, 2000, 2005-2010, 2022-2023)
No! That can’t be right. I had to check my database twice.
Prior to the clash in Round 5 2009 in the revamped AFLQ Division 1, Aspley had NEVER defeated Sherwood at Senior level. Since then, the Hornets have won seven consecutive games (with a twelve-year gap in the meetings). However, before that run of success for Aspley, the Magpies were always successful in the SQAFA and various AFLSQ competitions. It coincides with a period of dominance by Sherwood, including the SQAFA 1981 Grand Final. The margins were rarely close. In fact, of the 38 games I have recorded, there has only ever been one game decided by less than 10 points – and that was the Round 5 2009 fixture.
Sherwood will always be a tougher at their home ground. Could Aspley be vulnerable?

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:
Gday Toucan - great work as usual. Noosa v Maroochydore never played each other at QAFL level until 2021 - not sure what the 2011-2013 results allude to?

Gday Toucan - great work as usual. Noosa v Maroochydore never played each other at QAFL level until 2021 - not sure what the 2011-2013 results allude to?
No worries, smy1305 My pleasure - I enjoy doing this. (I respect that it won't be of interest to everyone- but I'm glad that it is to some.)
Your question is subject to differing opinions. Here is what I've included:
During the NEAFL era (2010-2015), I wanted to continue to include the highest Qld-administered competition in the database. Because the NEAFL was fundamentally an AFL-administered comp, this means I have recorded the results for the following comps: AFLQ Division 1 (2010), AFLQ Premier Division (2011), SEQAFL Division 1 (2012-2013), and then from 2014, a return to the QAFL moniker.
As clubs filtered back from the NEAFL, the constant flux of identities eased, and the QAFL returned to something more familiar. A little bit of consistency and continuity would be good - but no drama. I've kept the results for both levels of comps for these years.
As I continue, I'm gathering as many AFLSQ results as possible (including the Pineapple Hotel division & below). I've got the SQAFA/BAFL First Division mostly covered. It would be great to get SQAFA Div 2, plus Gold Coast (pre-2000) and Sunshine Coast (pre-1994) included too - but they're proving tougher and/or time-consuming.
Some people may disagree with my approach to the "NEAFL-era results" (ie, including both comps) - and that's okay. I'd rather provide more results than less.
Thanks for checking. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back