Preview Preliminary Final v Brisbane Lions Friday night at Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a single comment about the good stuff. We have three flags, one runner up and now third in 7 seasons.

Yeh, we really suck.

Great progress by Biddell, Gould, Newman and Charlton this season. Randall and Allan are pure class and Jamie Lee had a very good season

Noffy and Hatchard were below their best this season and Eloise had a pretty average season.

I liked the look of Prowse once she became a regular. Sadly a couple of our more experienced players lack the speed and talent to justify a spot in the future.
You look backwards you get overtaken, all great dynasties look towards the next, this team looked like you did in your post backwards - all season. Which whilst understandable does not totally excuse shortcomings and you are totally naive in your thinking if you don’t believe they were lucky to make that prelim and played a lot of ordinary football this season. They had 19 goalless quarters this season, you can’t just totally disregard that because they’ve won 3 flags in 6 years.

Of course there were individuals who were bright spots, there always are even when the team overall aren’t performing near their best and they stand out a lot more when the majority aren’t pulling their weight and that’s who I was talking about in that post the majority that didn’t pull their weight.

Also if you were around here for more than 5 minutes you would know how much I was a supporter and backed those players incessantly that you now mention like Biddell, Newman and Prowse when they could not even make the team due to garbage team selection policies that didn’t back youth and have been around for years even when they won flags.

Expected result in the end and good to see something of a fightback in the second half, but Q2 really killed us.

Shocking umpiring on the night. The first two goals were from non-existent free kicks and the third was a result of a non-call.

Excellent matches from Allan and Biddell again. Biddell is just exceptional, what a brilliant season she has had.

Going forward we are going to need to work something out for our midfield. Centre clearance stuff is not too bad but everything else is a dog's breakfast. The other top sides seem to be able to find free players on transition easily, but not us. If we could get that right, our forward line might start to actually function.

It feels like the end of an era, but then I said the same thing in 2018 and 2020. Fingers crossed we can work out the kinks and come back for another premiership tilt in 2023!

You look backwards you get overtaken, all great dynasties look towards the next, this team looked like you did in your post backwards - all season. Which whilst understandable does not totally excuse shortcomings and you are totally naive in your thinking if you don’t believe they were lucky to make that prelim and played a lot of ordinary football this season. They had 19 goalless quarters this season, you can’t just totally disregard that because they’ve won 3 flags in 6 years.

Making the prelim wasn't luck. They were clearly the third-best team all season, not making the prelim would have been a choke if anything. The problem is that we never once looked even close to Melbourne or Brisbane. All season long they have been head and shoulders above every other side. We were just the best of the also-rans.

Making the prelim wasn't luck. They were clearly the third-best team all season, not making the prelim would have been a choke if anything. The problem is that we never once looked even close to Melbourne or Brisbane. All season long they have been head and shoulders above every other side. We were just the best of the also-rans.
If you look at how they played post-showdown I don’t think they were in the top 4 teams in the comp, they scrapped past bottom 7 sides in Freo and St Kilda after looking like loosing at various stages of both those games, they barely got past Geelong at home in the worst game I’ve seen and that’s without mentioning the easy loses against Brisbane and Melbourne.

Also worrying was other than the Port & GWS smashings I can probably name only 5 quarters where they played their best football; 4th qtr against Richmond (another game I think the result could of gone the other way), 4th qtr against North, 2nd qtr against Pies in Rd 4, 4th qtr against Freo and 1st qtr against Melbourne in the qualifying final.

Last edited:
Also worrying was other than the Port & GWS smashings I can probably name only 5 quarters where they played their best football; 4th qtr against Richmond (another game I think the result could of gone the other way), 4th qtr against North, 2nd qtr against Pies in Rd 4, 4th qtr against Freo and 1st qtr against Melbourne in the elimination final.

Yes, that's the part that concerns me. If we were flashy, playing high-quality football in patches but lapsing at times, I could deal with it. Then it's just about getting up our consistency and working through the down patches. But we've barely played high-quality football at all this season. Every match has been a slog other than those two smashings you mentioned.

The main issue has been our transition from the midfield to our forward line. That's what needs to be ironed out in my mind. But it's a big thing.

Yes, that's the part that concerns me. If we were flashy, playing high-quality football in patches but lapsing at times, I could deal with it. Then it's just about getting up our consistency and working through the down patches. But we've barely played high-quality football at all this season. Every match has been a slog other than those two smashings you mentioned.

The main issue has been our transition from the midfield to our forward line. That's what needs to be ironed out in my mind. But it's a big thing.
What has stood out for me the two games I’ve seen this year live, both against Brisbane, is how poor our general skills are compared to Brisbane, and how FAST they are and slow we appear to be. But the general skills is the killer for mine.

Serious questions to be asked

Haha. Far out. Three flags, including one 6 months ago when the league did everything they could to not let it happen.

It's not that complicated. We set the standard, teams lifted, we then lifted again, and now a couple of teams have gone past us.

Playing 2 seasons within 11 months for a flag and a Prelim is an incredible result for the girls.

I, for one, couldn’t be any more prouder of them.

Sure, there’s plenty to work on to get back to the level that can compete/beat the Melbourne’s and Brisbane’s (which has been discussed in previous posts), but this is still a fantastic side, and their achievements this calendar year are something to be celebrated and congratulated.

On a side note, after 11 and a half months of non-stop footy, I think those of us that have followed both the men’s and women’s sides week in, week out since the start of January have earnt a well deserved footy break.

Playing 2 seasons within 11 months for a flag and a Prelim is an incredible result for the girls.

I, for one, couldn’t be any more prouder of them.

Sure, there’s plenty to work on to get back to the level that can compete/beat the Melbourne’s and Brisbane’s (which has been discussed in previous posts), but this is still a fantastic side, and their achievements this calendar year are something to be celebrated and congratulated.

On a side note, after 11 and a half months of non-stop footy, I think those of us that have followed both the men’s and women’s sides week in, week out since the start of January have earnt a well deserved footy break.
Screw the break
Give me more :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. Far out. Three flags, including one 6 months ago when the league did everything they could to not let it happen.

It's not that complicated. We set the standard, teams lifted, we then lifted again, and now a couple of teams have gone past us.
At least quote the whole line… “of the off-field staff” I don’t believe the team were well prepared for the start of the season at all, everyone new it was going to be tough backing up after a flag 6 months ago but they were hampered by some real lacklustre/change adverse coaching and poor team selection. Who do you criticise for that? other than those in charge of those departments.

Interesting as poor as the forward line functioned and the midfield to forward line transition is, the area that killed the team in every finals match was that midfield mix. They just never were able to stay in the game for 4 quarters they always dropped off for a couple of quarters and the opposition had their way way too easily, Marinoff was way too easy to just sit on and others did not step up to help her or the team and the team really needs to adjust the mix in there as the best it looked was when Ponter popped up in there on rare occasions but they didn’t try that at all in the finals.

From watching this season our game plan needs a bit of a tweak. It is good enough to beat most teams but in the final 4 we need more overlap run if we are going to match. That killed us each time we played Melbourne or Brisbane. It won't require a massive change to match but there will need to be some more speed thrown in, both by foot and ball movement.

I didn't watch a huge amount of it last night but did they try and move Marinoff to FF if she was being tagged out of the game?

Also if you were around here for more than 5 minutes you would know how much I was a supporter and backed those players incessantly that you now mention like Biddell, Newman and Prowse when they could not even make the team due to garbage team selection policies that didn’t back youth and have been around for years even when they won flags.
Most posters on here would know

1) I have attended the AFLW games in Adelaide since season 1, game 1.

2) I am a regular (but not a prolific) poster on the AFLW threads. I don’t usually post on the game day thread at home games, I occasionally post on the game day thread for away games.

It is reasonable to make observations of our strengths and weaknesses however constantly going on and on and on about how s**t our players and coaches are (after 3 flags in 6 years) is more than a little puerile.

Just going through our Finals record since the start of it all:
2017 - GF (Premiers)
2019 - GF (Premiers)
2021 - GF (Runners-up)
2022 (1) - GF (Premiers)
2022 (2) - PF

2020 season cancelled due to Covid.

Aside from 2018, we’ve been pretty darn consistent with our efforts. I think as a fan, not much more can be asked of them regarding the overall outcomes. With a bit of tweaking over the preseason, no reason why we can’t give it another good shake in 2023.

Just going through our Finals record since the start of it all:
2017 - GF (Premiers)
2019 - GF (Premiers)
2021 - GF (Runners-up)
2022 (1) - GF (Premiers)
2022 (2) - PF

2020 season cancelled due to Covid.

Aside from 2018, we’ve been pretty darn consistent with our efforts. I think as a fan, not much more can be asked of them regarding the overall outcomes. With a bit of tweaking over the preseason, no reason why we can’t give it another good shake in 2023.

We had one foot in the 2018 GF too, but got overrun in our last game to miss out.

2020 was the season we dipped significantly until COVID finished the season but we bounced back pretty well.

With a proper pre-season, and no expansion sides, we’ll be all the better.

We had one foot in the 2018 GF too, but got overrun in our last game to miss out.

2020 was the season we dipped significantly until COVID finished the season but we bounced back pretty well.

With a proper pre-season, and no expansion sides, we’ll be all the better.
It was the last game of the year, Adelaide was 5th, percentage behind 4th, and 2 points behind 3rd and 2nd)

Win and we're in

Qtr time - Up by 10
Half time - Up by 11
3/4 time - Down by 1
Full time - Lose by 21

Win that game, and we get another shot at the Bulldogs in the GF (Who we beat in Rd 3 - Which was the first AFLw game I ever attended)

I love Chelsea Randall. We're so lucky to have her at the club.

Fingers crossed the club will do some real reflection on how we were overtaken by Brisbane and Melbourne this year and come back swinging next year! After Brisbane marched over us in the 2021 GF I certainly didn't expect us to come back and win the following season, so it can be done. We'll need to get a bit more ruthless with our selection and take that next step on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back