Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched every minute of the Eagles' 2022 season and have watched every minute so far of 2023 (as well as attending every game in Victoria plus the Revenue Round in Adelaide) and it's getting harder and harder to identify any positives, but here goes:
  • Duggan played a good game (yes the odd error, but at least taking the game on)
  • Oscar Allen from limited opportunities only centimetres away from having three goals
  • Reuben Ginbey tackling machine
  • Harry Edwards an encouraging performance first game back
  • Tim Kelly and Luke Edwards not bad
  • Kept Gold Coast goalless in the third quarter
  • Darling showed courage playing with what was surely a broken arm (the decision to force or allow him to, on the other hand, is baffling)
There are far too many negatives to go through them individually. Turnovers from skill errors, lack of awareness, lack of pace ... but the worst was seeing the effort fall away in the second quarter when so many of our players looked like rabbits in spotlights. I get that we're down near the dregs of a weak list, but you'd like to think that four quarters of thorough effort would be a non-negotiable.

I hate us getting smashed every week and I hate the idea of the wooden spoon (Harley Reid notwithstanding), but on current form it's hard to see how we'll win another game this season, unless Hawthorn goes the most spectacular tank of all time next week.

Oh yes, and weekend plans: go watch a game of local footy somewhere where I don't care who wins or loses and I can genuinely enjoy watching the game.

Last edited:

Next week is going to push Hawthorn's tanking abilities to the absolute limit.

We're going to see such a rich tapestry of failure that it will be sung about for generations.
tankwars.gif

Next week is going to push Hawthorn's tanking abilities to the absolute limit.

We're going to see such a rich tapestry of failure that it will be sung about for generations.

It’s a fascinating fortnight for the Hawks. Tomorrow if ruthless Melbourne come to play and they (Hawthorn) can’t bring sustained effort, then it’s down to the desired position of 18th.

But next week… down in Tasmania. A full strength list versus the near bear minimum of a side… Will be something to behold if they conjure a way to lose that 😆

Positives:: Waterman 90% game time 6 disposals at 50% efficiency… goalless for the past 3 games…. Come at me cheer squad

He had a bad game, he's never going to be a star, everybody knows these things. What gets you teased is your inability to ever acknowledge the occasions when he has played well.

Negative: I'm just so over the 'well what did you expect to happen?' malaise that seems to have overrun both this club and the board.

Is that unfair? Probably, but for what feels like the 50th time since the start of 2022 I've sat through a loss that was record breaking for all the wrong reasons and I barely feel anything. I'd rather be angry and miserable at this point tbh but there's just nothing.
This is going to come off as flippant but it is a genuine question.

Honestly…what do you expect to happen? Not what do you want to happen, what do you expect to happen nine weekends out of ten with this team?

They’re pretty much goods as advertised at the moment. Willing them to be something else and feeling things when it doesn’t happen is largely self imposed at this point.

Took one look in the gameday thread and I have something to say:

You blokes winging can't possibly be so mentally weak as to lose your s**t over a meaningless game during a season where we will most likely win the spoon, right?

In fact, it's better for us to win the spoon than not, so a % loss here is what we needed to overtake Hawthorn, because this year returns either Harley Reid, or a King's ransom.

Get yoru s**t together men(and ladies).
Exacto mundo, if we're wallowing at the bottom, lets wallow with purpose and synergy - no need for all this wailing and gnashing of teeth and useless expectations, like something amazing is going to happen soon?
Lets enjoy the ride and scoop up the silverware on the way through. We can denigrate and crucify players and coaches all day long, but it's wasted vitriol in the long game >>> the big picture.
I mean jeez we couldn't even watch the little green shoots grow coz Matt Rowell ate 'em!?

Last edited:
If Darlings arm is broken (looks that way) then the entire medical team shoukd be fired.

To be fair they only sent him back on whilst the physios were working out how to use the touch screen to watch the replay to work out what his injury was. Asking him where it hurt and examining him is akin to medical treatment from the dark ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took one look in the gameday thread and I have something to say:

You blokes winging can't possibly be so mentally weak as to lose your s**t over a meaningless game during a season where we will most likely win the spoon, right?

In fact, it's better for us to win the spoon than not, so a % loss here is what we needed to overtake Hawthorn, because this year returns either Harley Reid, or a King's ransom.

Get yoru s**t together men(and ladies).
Why can’t I have both?

Some observations

Our midfield was so badly beaten it was like watching the best vs the rest preseason scratchmatch we do every year. The only difference was Gold Coast didn't allow us to mix the teams up after half time.

Rowell literally pulled Sheeds pants down

It seems Gaff is so bad now that they are lining him up at HF. They knew the ball would never get down there so he couldnt touch it.

We aren't going to get better until we get some better players back. Some of those guys are so far off its embarrassing.

To be fair they only sent him back on whilst the physios were working out how to use the touch screen to watch the replay to work out what his injury was. Asking him where it hurt and examining him is akin to medical treatment from the dark ages.

Surprised they didnt just pray for it to be better (probably did) or bled him to make the arm better

Posted this after the richmond loss-

"I honestly can't think of one thing I like about watching us at the moment.

The games are depressingly predictable, every week there's the early attempt to be competitive, the quarter where the opposition engages and we get completely obliterated and then some more non descript football followed by the late game obliteration once non fit players and kids run out of legs. Every week the opposition's best players do as they please, and we get to see 4-5 guys who are plainly never ever going to be AFL standard flounder around way out of their depth, and 4-5 senior guys who are plainly carrying injuries or horribly out of form but getting a game because there's noone else."

on one hand I can’t stomach these last two weeks but also on one hand I understand that after weeks of being undermanned and fighting really hard, the dam wall had to be broken sooner rather than. Don’t think we will have anymore game like the ones prior to the Blues games till the bye.

It’s not the kids and it’s clearly not the WAFL quality players that bother me but rather the seniors that are playing like crap or pick and chose when to be good. TB’s regression really hurts as he took a step forward to be elite last season and now has underdone all that. Sheed/Dugganmight not be A grade material but you expect from them to be consistent and reliable on a weekly basis. TK has been good but he also have very hot and very cold moments each game. Well Gaff and Darling are now cooked.

Witherden and Allen about the only players to legitimately improve this year.

I now think Witho can be a best 22 player, so that's something I guess.

Thinking it's time to hibernate until the bye when we can at least enjoy watching some of the young talent again.
Witherden for all his improvements is still as slow as treacle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back