PS5 Playstation 5 - Articles, accessories and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

So the PS5 Pro is looking at the same size memory (only slightly faster), same Zen 2 CPU and a slightly larger GPU. What is even the point? Without extra memory it can't do much with that extra GPU power. You can bump the resolution but you can't really add much in the way of effects or details because they all need memory. The PS5 Slim is currently $799. The Pro will get its own price point so either the current slim gets a reduction or who in their right mind can justify $900+ to play performance modes slightly better?

Buy an external HDD. Storage issues no more.
Xbox one has 2tb. Nearly full
PS5. Has Nvme and external. 80% full.
Switch with 512gb. Nearly full.
Steam Deck 256gb + 512 SD. Ha. Full

Really? Can't say I've ever had an issue with storage. How many games are you playing at once?
I've shown you this before. I love storage.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 140926.png

As for hardware, the only device I feel is severely limited by its hardware is the SteamDeck.
Have to crank its graphics and CPU settings to max to get anything recent to play. And that makes battery life very short and the fans working in overdrive.

I just delete games after I'm done with them, outside of roguelikes or anything with high replayability. Doesn't take long to redownload with modern internet speeds.

Same.

anybody bothering with rise of the ronin? everybody has been vague about if its any good or not.

I'm tossing up between Ronin and Dragon's Dogma 2 (PC). I think I want DD2 more but I'm dubious about even PC performance day one, some early leaks aren't sounding the best. So I may go for Ronin first and wait for DD2 to be patched up. Both are releasing Friday so I'll check out some footage and opinions while I'm work and decide in the evening f.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Team Ninja haven't been able to hit the same form since Nioh 1 and there have been a few trailers of Ronin that I thought looked pretty mid. The most recent stuff coming out about the game looks pretty good though which is why I think I might give Dragon's Dogma 2 a bit of time to be optimised and go with Ronin first.

IMO Team Ninja haven't been able to hit the same form since Nioh 1 and there have been a few trailers of Ronin that I thought looked pretty mid. The most recent stuff coming out about the game looks pretty good though which is why I think I might give Dragon's Dogma 2 a bit of time to be optimised and go with Ronin first.
Still haven't decided which one I'm going to go. Trying to finish off Persona 3 beforehand. I'm close, I'm a few days till the end of Jan, but trying to grind another 10 levels so probably won't finish in time.

Why don't you just stream pr0n like a normal person?
When Telstra/Optus has its next network meltdown you'll all be stranded. Not me!

Nah I just have that many movies and tv series downloaded over 15 years.

So the PS5 Pro is looking at the same size memory (only slightly faster), same Zen 2 CPU and a slightly larger GPU. What is even the point? Without extra memory it can't do much with that extra GPU power. You can bump the resolution but you can't really add much in the way of effects or details because they all need memory. The PS5 Slim is currently $799. The Pro will get its own price point so either the current slim gets a reduction or who in their right mind can justify $900+ to play performance modes slightly better?

Interesting development. The PS5 doesn't use graphics APIs like DirectX and apparently developers have greater access to the hardware which is probably why they can optimise better on their custom built engines. I didn't know this but lots of the custom built physics engines are tied to clock speed. They're alleging that the PS6 will be using Zen 6 from AMD that run at lower clock speeds. That means that for the PS5 Pro they can't crank the CPU clock too much (or upgrade it to Zen 3) because it would actually impact backward capabilities of the PS6. Currently the PS5 runs PS4 BC games at PS4 Pro settings. If they increase the clock speeds of the PS5 Pro too much then any PS5 BC game on the PS6 wouldn't be able to be run at PS5 Pro settings and would fall back to base PS5 game settings. If that makes sense.

I haven't been able to watch it all as I'm at work but spent my lunch watching what I could and skimmed through other parts. Here are the highlights so far for anyone that doesn't want to watch three nerdy heads talking for an hour:

• same CPU but has an "enhanced mode" that increases the clock by 10% with an increase in memory bandwidth. For comparison the PS4 Pro had a 30% clock increase as well as a memory bandwidth increase.
  • the PS5 SoC is likely power limited because there is a slight decrease in GPU clock speed to compensate for the CPU clock increase.
  • this won't make a difference for any game that is currently CPU limited, and it won't magically enable any game coming out targetting 30fps suddenly capable of 60fps.
  • a major point of the PS4 Pro was the checkerboard upscaler for 4K. This time we're looking at an AI upscaler called Spectral Super Resolution.

What does this mean for a guy like me who couldn't care less about 60 fps but just wants pretty graphics?

We don't know yet but it's looking less meaningful than the PS4 Pro refresh. More games are launching CPU limited and that is unlikely to change. I haven't played BG3 on PS5 so I'm just using DF's example. BG3 is CPU heavy regardless of platform and is CPU limited on console. If you're getting 25fps on a CPU bottleneck then increasing GPU power isn't going to do anything as you're bound to the CPU. So a 10% clock increase takes your 25fps to about .... 27fps. So if a game like GTA 6 is targeting 30fps then the PS5 Pro won't be able to magically turn it into 60fps. Memory is shared on a console so without increasing the memory you can't actually add much eye candy either.

IMO this refresh will hinge entirely on what the AI upscaler is capable of.

What does this mean for a guy like me who couldn't care less about 60 fps but just wants pretty graphics?

As if we're not both going to grab it on launch.

We don't know yet but it's looking less meaningful than the PS4 Pro refresh. More games are launching CPU limited and that is unlikely to change. I haven't played BG3 on PS5 so I'm just using DF's example. BG3 is CPU heavy regardless of platform and is CPU limited on console. If you're getting 25fps on a CPU bottleneck then increasing GPU power isn't going to do anything as you're bound to the CPU. So a 10% clock increase takes your 25fps to about .... 27fps. So if a game like GTA 6 is targeting 30fps then the PS5 Pro won't be able to magically turn it into 60fps. Memory is shared on a console so without increasing the memory you can't actually add much eye candy either.

IMO this refresh will hinge entirely on what the AI upscaler is capable of.

Seems entirely skippable for most people. Genuine and tangible performance boosts would have me interested, upscaling of resolution doesn't excite me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back