VFL Pies v Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Good signs? 7 possessions, 1 goal, 1 tackle...........

Played probably about 65% game time. He's missed all of preseason mate. Good signs are aerial competitiveness, sharpness, ball use, decision making. What are you expecting currently? The guy is gonna take half the season to get back to where he was last year, but the times he's in the game, he is impactful.

I should say I've missed most of the last 30 min of play. Has Tsatas hit a target in that time?
By hand yes - did a very nice pickup and dish off in congestion late, by foot don't think so. Need to throw everything at improving his kicking. You would have liked Visentini in the last - looks a proper big man who runs and jumps and hangs onto the ball.

Glad Hayes is ok thought he did his knee - was down for a minute or two then just got up and ran. Bit like when I thought I killed an owl one night when driving. Stopped the car and walked up to it as it was motionless on the road then it just got up and flew off.

Tsatas basically won that game for us 😬
A sharp composed handball resulted in the late sealer plus he kept winning the ball in stoppage situations to deny the Pies a clean clearance.

Will be a gun. Needs to watch footage of Robert Harvey who wasn’t a great kick but learnt how to weight his kicks to the advantage of a teammate almost drawing that player to where he wanted him to move to.

By hand yes - did a very nice pickup and dish off in congestion late, by foot don't think so. Need to throw everything at improving his kicking. You would have liked Visentini in the last - looks a proper big man who runs and jumps and hangs onto the ball.

Glad Hayes is ok thought he did his knee - was down for a minute or two then just got up and ran. Bit like when I thought I killed an owl one night when driving. Stopped the car and walked up to it as it was motionless on the road then it just got up and flew off.
Cramp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think once. Think twice. Think never kill an owl.

Well deserved win. They are starting to sort the side out and players are getting on the same page a bit more often. Managed to repel the Pies several times in the last quarter when the heat was on.

Tsatas . 40 possessions. Has been plenty of comment on it already. First things first. He was good at the contest and did not take any backward steps. When the footy was there he went for it and he also pushed back in defense when needed. There was more of a two way game starting to show so work rate good. Had a lot of very good in close handballs to get the footy out of congestion. However his kicking was an issue at times. Landed a few good ones but also had some pretty ordinary ones and turned the footy over 6 or 7 times as well. He earned a lot of his 40 possessions but he has to be better kicking wise. 4 tackles for the game which was equal third for us. Missed as few as well but body wise he is still at least 1 season away from where he needs to be.

Shiel. Pretty good game. Got smashed in the face early on and was off for 10 to 15 minutes early on to clean up the blood. Ended up with 23 touches and 5 clearances. Gave plenty of direction to the young blokes . His form looks okay but I am not sure where he fits into the side as he is doing pretty much the same as Parish role wise and he does not pressure enough to play a small forward role. Durham and Caldwell have simply made it hard to see where he fits in.

Weideman . Was good playing back again. Took a few saving marks and defended well. Only beaten a couple of times.

Hayes. Not as prolific possession wise but he had to defend a lot more. Still played well and was solid under pressure.

Bryan. Second really good game in a row. Took a couple of contested marks and won the footy around the ground. Still lacks an absolute physical presence but form wise he is right on the money now.

Caddy. Not the best day out for him. Did not kick a goal and did not have much of it early. Kept fighting hard but it was not his day. Has to stop running under the footy.

Lual. Another decent game. Showed some attack and his defending was pretty good. Not as many shonky kicks this week.

Guelfi . Steady game. Quiet first quarter but managed to be involved when we needed him after than. Maybe 1 more VFL although there is a VFL bye next week.

Kicked a nice goal from limited touches. For mine he is not getting the basics right and trying to set up to make the hero flashy play. 1 tackle is not good enough for a bloke we need to be a pressure forward. Needs to start using his speed to make defensive plays first and see where it goes from there. To much sheep dog. Not enough cattle dog.

Roberts. Really good. Just uses the ball so well and he makes things happen when he has the ball. Kicked a couple of goals and he was strong at the contest and tackled well. Played mainly wing.

Visentini . Good again. Has a lot of body development to go but he has some footy smarts and good skills. Can take a mark and has forward craft. Really like how he is going.

Wanganeen . 7 touches and 2 tackles does not sound like a lot but whenever he has the ball something good happens. It is like last year. Due to missing pretty much all of pre season he will take 6 or 7 weeks to really find his form. Has played only around 60% game time in his two games.

Of the VFL boys. After a bit of a slow start Hately is running into some good form the last few weeks. Will Hoare has been god in defense. I like Foley. He has been giving us plenty of dash out of defense. Nyko has looked good in his first 2 games. McKay is doing a good job as a small defender. Gray the most frustrating player. Seems to have a footy IQ as far as getting to the right spots and contesting the footy but his coordination is shocking. Took a couple of nice grabs and kicked 2.2 but also dropped a few chest marks in front of goal and played on from 25 out in front and missed one. It is a real mixed bag for him.

Great to hear Tsatas has been more committed to the contest the last couple of weeks. As he gets more comfortable with big bodies and contact and more confident in his own ability, I hope he starts to drive through tackles and stoppages - that’s the player we need him to be. Any sign of that today?

If he can do this then it also makes his kicking less of a concern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back