AFL Autopsy RND 7: Draw Against The Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad post match “Win lose or draw the effort and intent is what we’re after”.
How the * did it take 15 years for us to find someone who understands and enforces this? It’s not a personnel thing. The Essendon we’ve seen since the Port game we haven’t seen for a long time. We’re hungry and we’re up for the fight.
It has been a personal thing at stages but it is also a teaching thing. The message obviously has not change in 15 years but coaching is also about being able to sell the message and get the buy in.

the lack of tackling was interesting - at the ground you could see they were trying to stop the player and corral them to slow down their run, rather than tackle, and then when they did try to tackle they were easily brushed aside. Not sure if this was a tactic to not tackle because we are shitcampaigners at it, or to slow down their run, but they intent to tackle looked to be lacking.

Also another note from the ground - the food options are s**t and getting worse.

the lack of tackling was interesting - at the ground you could see they were trying to stop the player and corral them to slow down their run, rather than tackle, and then when they did try to tackle they were easily brushed aside. Not sure if this was a tactic to not tackle because we are shitcampaigners at it, or to slow down their run, but they intent to tackle looked to be lacking.

Also another note from the ground - the food options are s**t and getting worse.
definitely noticed the intent to corral than tackle. kind of frustrating to see naicos constantly break lines because no one was looking for contact with him.

What'd you eat?

What'd you eat?
I just had some chips - cant heck that up, but the chicken burger the kids had was pretty dire, and the salmonella infused taco slop looked too risky for me

I just had some chips - cant * that up, but the chicken burger the kids had was pretty dire, and the salmonella infused taco slop looked too risky for me
only thing i've had at games for the past few years have been chips, hard to heck up and cheap(er) than the rest of the s**t they try and sell.

so much of the stuff looks foul

I just had some chips - cant * that up, but the chicken burger the kids had was pretty dire, and the salmonella infused taco slop looked too risky for me
What if the chips are soggy? That's a heck up.

It has been a personal thing at stages but it is also a teaching thing. The message obviously has not change in 15 years but coaching is also about being able to sell the message and get the buy in.
Probably because he's the first coach we've had in a long time who is capable of tough love. And he has a captain to support him with that. Heppell was incapable of giving someone a spray, imagine him angry, you wouldn't take him seriously

Probably because he's the first coach we've had in a long time who is capable of tough love. And he has a captain to support him with that. Heppell was incapable of giving someone a spray, imagine him angry, you wouldn't take him seriously
like an angry teddy bear!

only thing i've had at games for the past few years have been chips, hard to * up and cheap(er) than the rest of the s**t they try and sell.

so much of the stuff looks foul
yeah, it’s a small issue in the grand scheme of things but it’s been s**t forever

What if the chips are soggy? That's a * up.
yes, but there is no moisture anyway near the food areas- all the food is dry and crusty, so no danger of soggy chilps

I think the most impressive part of this year is how we can respond and get the game back on our terms when momentum is against us. Goal kicking after qt killed us, but the fight in the contest is what we have be looking to see for years. Durham is almost our most important player, just shows what a huge loss he was when he wasn’t there against port Adelaide.

yeah, it’s a small issue in the grand scheme of things but it’s been s**t forever

yes, but there is no moisture anyway near the food areas- all the food is dry and crusty, so no danger of soggy chilps
Maybe you could take some sandwiches? Thermos full of soup or hotdogs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turnovers especially that second quarter hurt us. They beat us +14 in tackles which Scott wasn’t happy about.

We average 11 tackles a game inside 50 ..we had just two in this game. Davey zero tackles ..I like the kid but if he’s not contributing in this aspect or physically then he needs to go back to VFL.

Overall though good performance, like others have said after that second quarter we would’ve folded under previous coaches. Interesting Zach emphasising after the game that we had a clear plan ..he’s criticised that in the past. We look as good as we have had in a long time setting up behind the ball. All this without Ridley.
Forward half is not just about tackles. It’s also about pressure acts and running to cover space and outlet kicks. Yes we would love some tackles like he was laying last week, but leg speed across the ground to help cover for transition is essential. I thought he was pretty good after half time (9 touches in the 2nd half)

Are the beers $13.5 like in Canberra 🙃🔫

We average 11 tackles a game inside 50 ..we had just two in this game. Davey zero tackles ..I like the kid but if he’s not contributing in this aspect or physically then he needs to go back to VFL.
I’m not a huge Davey fan, but I’m not sure we can afford to drop him. Our small forward stocks are very thin and you need pressure in this game. I do hope the coaches have a chat to him about some of his soft efforts.

I think the most impressive part of this year is how we can respond and get the game back on our terms when momentum is against us. Goal kicking after qt killed us, but the fight in the contest is what we have be looking to see for years. Durham is almost our most important player, just shows what a huge loss he was when he wasn’t there against port Adelaide.
yeah I was surprisingly confident at half time despite their comeback. We knew it was coming but managed to halt the momentum during the quarter, if stringer kicks one of those two shots at the end it may have been a different game altogether.
We've now managed to arrest momentum back 3 games in a row. The dogs didnt hit the scoreboard in the 2nd quarter as well as pies/crows but if you listen back to the commentary they were all expecting us to wilt like we did against port with how much pressure we were under from the dogs midway through the 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back