AFL Toast Nailbiter against The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

i think kelly played a pretty understated role last night, kept liam ryan to a minimal impact

difficult spot for laverde. i know i'm very critical of him, but i think he realistically was the only defender who could match waterman. mckay too slow, redman, mcgrath etc not strong enough in the contest.

i don't think he did great but he certainly had moments of brilliance. well played to him

There were a couple of contests where Laverde couldn't have done anymore within the rules and still got beat.

It happens.
started off the game not particularly well, but built into a solid performance, especially in the final quarter

Laverde usually does OK when defending the aerial ball and reading the play. It's what happens below his knees and with ball in hand that is the main problem.

He was serviceable last night. Did what he could. Can't complain too much.

The main problem is that McGrath is the only one who can keep his composure when the ball is loose on the ground. Kelly is OK, not great. All the other backs s**t themselves, including Heppell, Laverde, Redman and Hind.

Think some are underestimating the win.

WCE are no longer the “bye” they have been for a couple of years.

Only other team to beat them in Perth are GWS.

Edit: just realised Seedknee game was in gather round.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were a couple of contests where Laverde couldn't have done anymore within the rules and still got beat.

It happens.
Agree.
I doubt anyone stops the first mark or one of the marks on the lead. One of the marks that resulted in a goal was on Kelly. So he kicked 2 goals (should have been 3 ) on Laverde and two of them where a result of marks taken off limited pressure in the middle.

It happens.
That one with Waterman at full tilt, marking out in front with Laverde wearing him like a glove was great footy by both

Waterman has no reputation but he is legit on fire at the moment. Sticky hands and just bulldozing defenders.

Apparently Waterman was concussed during the game. So he’ll miss next week.

He didn’t leave the field though did he??

Pies will play Eagles without Waterman and Yeo. All about when you play them I suppose.
don't recall him leaving, no

I'm just picking this post amongst a sea of "Essington would have lost!!! We should be happy we won!!!".

Yes we would have won this game a few seasons ago. The most obvious example is that in 2021, when we trying to make the finals, in R17 we were up against bottom of the table North and with a few mins to go, we were only up by 4. We got up and won. A few weeks earlier against second last place Hawthorn, we fell behind in the last quarter but still got up. We won those games. We made it into the finals. We lost. And then we sacked the coach the next season.

There's far too much acceptance in here for what was a woeful performance. West Coast won the spoon last season and after 7 rounds, have won 2 games. This isn't ****ing Geelong. We keep this up and we're on track do what exactly what we did a few years ago under Rutten...... and under Hird, and under Knights, and that's make the finals when we're a crap team, get pumped, go backwards the next season and sack the coach. This was a terrible performance, particularly from partway through the 3rd quarter to the end. Repeated stupidity, laziness and recklessness and leaving Zach Merrett and to a lesser extent Nic Martin to sort it all out. Zach had nearly 30 touches and 3 goals and we won by 6 points against West Coast.

There's the elements of a good team in here. We have some top end talent. We have some promising youngsters who are beyond their rookie seasons. And that performance wasn't acceptable and I feel like I'm on crazy pills here seeing all the "just be happy we won" stuff. Just be happy we won? I'll be happy when we win games because we've pumped the opposition, or we've beaten a good team. Crawling over the line against West Coast thanks to amazing Zach performance? Nah I ain't happy about that and neither should anyone else.

I would not say it was a terrible performance. We utterly dominated west coast around the ground.

We just lack the ability to put it on the scoreboard. In the 2nd Q is was 7.6 to 4.2....... we should be putting the game out of reach at this point. Should have been 30 - 40 Infront at half time and really taken the steam out of them, we didn't and allowed them to stay in it.

We missed some really kickable set shots at crucial times that just allowed west coast to keep their noses in it.

it was almost a carbon copy of the Adelaide game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back