AFL Autopsy RND 7: Draw Against The Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that haven't seen it, it is worth watching the press conference from after the game. Merrett joined Scott for it which doesn't normally happen. Was interesting to hear them both talk about process, but I found it more interesting to hear Merrett discussing it. You kind of expect coaches to talk about things like that but not players so much.

I just had some chips - cant * that up, but the chicken burger the kids had was pretty dire, and the salmonella infused taco slop looked too risky for me

So far the taco slop hasnt hot me anywhere other than the wallet - $12!!!! With the jalapeños You can’t taste the salmonella anway.

Kids had chips which were good - no soggy ones!!

yeah I was surprisingly confident at half time despite their comeback. We knew it was coming but managed to halt the momentum during the quarter, if stringer kicks one of those two shots at the end it may have been a different game altogether.
We've now managed to arrest momentum back 3 games in a row. The dogs didnt hit the scoreboard in the 2nd quarter as well as pies/crows but if you listen back to the commentary they were all expecting us to wilt like we did against port with how much pressure we were under from the dogs midway through the 2nd.

Was at the game and sitting a bay away from a mate who follows Collingwood. He was impressed with our pressure in the first half and when we were chatting at half time we both thought it would come down to who could keep the pressure on the most. I knew they would, they’ve done that mostly for years. What I didn’t know was whether we could. The last two weeks gave me hope but I’ve been burnt too many times to be confident.

Afterwards was very happy with the overall effort, if not some of the execution, but some of that is down to pressure - the other side gets a say. To stop their momentum multiple times in the last qtr was a great sign we’re starting to play the way Brad (and us) wants us to.

That said, we must bring that effort against WC this week or it loses a lot of meaning. Consistency is what we’ve been missing for many years, and it’s going to take more than three or four weeks for the club to generate belief outside the four walls.

Up the Planes!!!!

I’d do the same but watching Essendon footy the past 10+ years normally means 17 beers at the footy. Bringing in 8 thermos might raise an alarm
1000006381.jpg
10L urn. Problem solved.

definitely noticed the intent to corral than tackle. kind of frustrating to see naicos constantly break lines because no one was looking for contact with him.
Think more frustrating was when we did tackle him wasn't rewarded or when put physical pressure got soft holding the man.

Was bit like nba and superstar rules yesterday for daicos unfortunately so didn't mind the corral tactic.

They did make us pay on some turnovers but also the little skill errors like missed handball targets that put our blokes under pressure or the little fumbles at times. They love to pounce on the footy after a mistake and take of in numbers the other way. Also exposed the forward half for speed a few times.
They are also experts at absorbing physical pressure and either breaking tackles or disposing of the ball effectively

Makes it hard to contain them once they get hands on a loose ball following a skill error or fumble

(Log in to remove this ad.)

has anyone mentioned the hoo-haa of Scott Dinglebury's 10,000 possession? At the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, I though for our home game, it was bang out of order to put it up on screen in the middle of play.

I like the guy, but really?

has anyone mentioned the hoo-haa of Scott Dinglebury's 10,000 possession? At the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, I though for our home game, it was bang out of order to put it up on screen in the middle of play.

Oh I didn't mind it at all. Literally the first time in AFL history it's happened, I'm okay with that being acknowledged in the moment, home game, away game, whatever.

What I did enjoy was the fact that we were 4-5 goals up at the time and his handball led to a guy directly turning it over. So the moment and consequent applause was very much overshadowed and a bit of a anti-climax I thought haha.

But true, I guess if that handball had been say part of a chain that led to them scoring a goal - the extra acknowledgement could've been a real moral and momentum booster for them.

Well it was a turn over so hardly worth cheering it. :)

For those that haven't seen it, it is worth watching the press conference from after the game. Merrett joined Scott for it which doesn't normally happen. Was interesting to hear them both talk about process, but I found it more interesting to hear Merrett discussing it. You kind of expect coaches to talk about things like that but not players so much.
Merrett looked like he was seething.

Reckon there is zero chance he lets the boys lose focus for the next game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back