News Pies Player-Toucher banned for rest of 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any video of this? How do you grab an opposistion player with 'no malice'? What other reason would you grab an opposition player for?
He gave him a weird awkward hug. Around the head.

I could understand this if it was the EPL or a European soccer league but seriously this is Australia and we have never had any issues.
I agree it should not be encouraged but suspending a harmless incident makes me almost disgusted where we are as a country.
The AFL should now tell the players you are nit allowed to high 5 the crowd, no heading to the boundary fence after the games you must stay within field of play. No photos with fans either because this is encouraging fans that human contact is ok.
I really feel for this guy, paid his hard earned money to attend and become a member and is suspended for giving an opposition player an encouraging hug.
No wonder our young generation are scared of their own shadow, big corporations trying to protect them from nothing.
Best post on this thread. 100% agree with everything you’ve said.

Don't usually agree with AFL decisions, but they got this right. Might have been 'nothing in it' this time, but what about next time? Has to be a blanket rule, or it will quickly get out of hand.
People do weird things when they know they're on camera, from being a smart arse throwing the ball back through to more concerning stuff like this.

Unbelievably stupid from the fan. I imagine he was drunk and didn’t know what he was doing. Thank you for banning this moronic fan. We don’t want to be around people like this at a game.

I suspect if he did this to a pies player there would've been no ban (or story of any description). I think physical fan/player interactions are usually well intentioned but there's a big difference between a quick pat on the back and grabbing someone's head

I'm rethinking the thread title now.

Zevon would the mods let me get away with "Tattooed Todger Tossed"?

Judge Ok GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

I suspect if he did this to a pies player there would've been no ban (or story of any description). I think physical fan/player interactions are usually well intentioned but there's a big difference between a quick pat on the back and grabbing someone's head
I’d hope he would. You just can’t touch any player. End of.

This was a low pressure game because of the score, he grabbed the guts head. If it’s 5 points the difference, and finals on the line, the recipient pulls away, hurts his neck or something and it’s game, friendly or not.

The players should be able to hit the boundary fence, slow fast or deliberately without fear of Adam touching them in any way. Any fan. Good bloke rules do not apply.

He’s lucky it’s not a life ban. People get life bans for words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He shouldn't have done it, we all know he shouldn't have done it - the penalty is stopping anybody else from doing it. He probably meant no harm.

We don't want to end up having stadiums fenced off from the crowd, like they do with soccer.
Exactly

If there was any ambiguity, Lewis Jetta, in support of Goodes, made it unambiguous with a very clear spear throwing gesture towards the crowd.
You had a bit too much of Dr Hofmanns finest I think, indigenous dance by indigenous lads to celebrate their own culture, I dunno why white people get worried by that.

Why are people acting like a ban from attending the footy for the rest of the year is some crazy harsh punishment? Most people cant go to the footy every week anyway, its a tiny punishment lmao just sit at home and sink beers instead like most people.

If a relatively small punishment like this prevents someone from thinking its ok to touch a player over the fence in the future its 100% worth it

Why are people acting like a ban from attending the footy for the rest of the year is some crazy harsh punishment? Most people cant go to the footy every week anyway, its a tiny punishment lmao just sit at home and sink beers instead like most people.

If a relatively small punishment like this prevents someone from thinking its ok to touch a player over the fence in the future its 100% worth it

Never ever been a problem in this country and still is t today. Everyone needs to stop being scared of what if?

Never ever been a problem in this country and still is t today. Everyone needs to stop being scared of what if?
You dont want it to become an issue. If you let it slide then somebody else is going to do it.
Not every player is a second game teenager, if you try it with most players you probably dont get the player just walking away slightly confused like Johnston did on the weekend. A bit more of a reaction is more likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back