Perth GloryFC Thread-2018/19 PREMIERS!! FEAR OUR WRATH!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well on top but have created no clear cut chances ,2 shots from distance easily saved.
Our set pieces are shocking,10 corners in first half and a couple of free kicks in good positions and nothing to show for it.

Great to get a bit of confidence with some well fought wins.

I think Taggart should make a difference. The side is starting to play a fair bit better, but we don't really have any true strikers at the moment.

Having Taggart to learn off should also hopefully help the kids we do have.

Great to get a bit of confidence with some well fought wins.

I think Taggart should make a difference. The side is starting to play a fair bit better, but we don't really have any true strikers at the moment.

Having Taggart to learn off should also hopefully help the kids we do have.
I really enjoyed the game last night! Some great signs - wonderful ‘redacted’ debut by Tags!
Shame about the Clisby red card. I could accept it if it was given second, after Ilomomide’ brain fade, but that was a totally shite decision.
Linesman was a complete moron for taliking the ref into sending Jack off - VAR should’ve stepped in (if that’s permitted)!

If he continues to develop at the rate he has since coming to the club, I can't see him being here past the end of the contract.

Now we just need Arnie to win the battle for his national team allegiance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is huge for next season. If we can learn to defend we are going to be extremely difficult to score against.

334948402_1242753716624372_7877696992346872374_n.jpg

Reddy and Cook have been culpable for so many goals each with basic mistakes. A keeper like a Sail would have made a massive difference. I'd argue Sail is one of the best in the league, seldom makes mistakes.
Not denying that - just that we struggle in a lot of aspects that he can’t save you all the time. Better to prevent the ball from getting near him in the first place

Not denying that - just that we struggle in a lot of aspects that he can’t save you all the time. Better to prevent the ball from getting near him in the first place
Yeah I don't like how we set up in a back 3, it tends to invite pressure.
But I do think we would be top 6, or at least close to it with a decent keeper.

Late in getting this in, but Friday night was a win that not many saw coming - me included! Was pretty dark after the first minute red card!

However, we hung on well, and Cam Cook looked the goods - ironic given the discussion prior to the game about Sail!
Maybe he is going to be one of those great players we finally manage to keep at the glory as youngster…
So many end up elsewhere to achieve successful - here’s hoping 👍🏻
I guess we’ll see if he can back it up.

I do think the club see Cook as the long term future which is why he signed a 3 year extension. But, he is from Victoria (IIRC) so I could see him going to one of those clubs if they are in need of a keeper over the next couple of years.

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage reveals potential buyer interested in acquiring stake at the A-Leagues club​

Ben Smith
The West Australian
Thu, 20 April 2023

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage says he has found a potential buyer for a significant stake of the club.

Sage denied rumours his licence had been revoked by the Australian Professional Leagues - the A-Leagues’ governing body - but said he had spoken to the APL about the process of selling his licence.

The long-time Glory owner said the buyers - who already owned an unnamed European club - were interested in a stake larger than 40 per cent and the deal could be in place before next season.

While Sage has sought to retain a controlling interest in the club, he said the interested party had asked him about the process if he were to sell more than 50 per cent.

Sage said he had been searching for a co-owner for 18 months, but admitted it was becoming increasingly difficult to find an partner who wanted a minority stake.

“There’s potential interest now, that hopefully over the next two or three months will come to fruition and I hope to retain majority ownership but it really depends on on the other party, if they really want to take control,” he said.

“I could have sold the club 18 months ago, but they wanted to change the name and colours, and that for me, that’s not negotiable - it’s got to be Perth Glory, and it’s got to be majority of purple.

“(I asked the APL) what is the process if they want to take a majority interest, and I’ve found out that process, I’ve told the other party that they’ve got to be vetted, but they already own a club in Europe, so I don’t think that will be a problem.

“I just needed to know what the process was because for the last 18 months, I have not been really considering giving up majority ownership.”

Sage said the escalating costs and the revenue loss over the past few years had forced his hand, with COVID-19 and an enforced move to Macedonia Park this season with HBF Park unavailable hurting crowds.

“It’s been massive. 6000 people less per game, times $40 times 10 games, that just gives you an idea and that’s just on bums on seats,” he said.

“That’s not including sponsorship signs which I can’t sell, corporate facilities which I can’t sell, so the loss by moving is around four and a half million dollars this year just to move on those 10 games.

“It is becoming a lot more expensive to participate in the league than it was five years ago and I said that 18 months ago, during COVID, we need to go out and find a partner for Perth that’s got some deep pockets.”

Sage’s most public attempt to sell the club came in 2020, when the club announced a significant stake had been sold to cryptocurrency company London Football Exchange.

However, the deal was called off when revelations came to light surrounding LFE founder Jim Aylward, with media investigations revealing the Aylward was being sued, had been using a false name and had previously gone to prison for fraud.

Bring on the world wide search.

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage stripped of A-Leagues licence as club placed into receivership​

Ben Smith
The West Australian
Sat, 22 July 2023

Perth Glory owner and chairman Tony Sage’s reign is over, after he was sensationally stripped of his A-Leagues licence effective immediately by the league’s governing body.

The Australian Professional Leagues - the A-Leagues governing body - have placed the club into receivership, meaning Sage’s tenure at the helm of the club is over after 15 years as owner.

The APL sent a breach of notice to Okewood Pty Ltd - the company that owns the Glory and lists Sage as a director - on Tuesday.

The West Australian understands Perth Glory are not bankrupt and not about to be placed into administration, but the APL paid player’s wages at times during last season.

However, the APL had been chasing payment of a loan they had issued to the club - and several other A-Leagues franchises - during COVID.

That loan extended into last season, as the Glory dealt with the financial blow of having to shift 10 of their 13 home games from the 22,000-capacity HBF Park to the 4000-capacity Macedonia Park due to upgrades ahead of the Women’s World Cup.

Advisory firm KordaMentha has been appointed to manage the receivership process for the club, and ensure the club’s ongoing obligations of the club are met. The process is expected to conclude within the next 10 weeks.

Sage, who is currently overseas, released a statement saying he was sad his time had come to an end.

“As the sole owner of the club for the past 17 years I can say in all honesty that it has taken a huge financial effort on my family’s part to sustain it and ensure that, Perth WA, continues to be represented at the elite level of Australian football,” he said.

“In total, my family has invested close to $50 million into the club, including into our outstanding academy.

“This huge financial pressure was increased greatly and unsustainably by the impact of COVID-19 which decimated the club’s income streams and was then further compounded by our forced relocation from HBF Park last season for 10 of 13 home games.

“We are still in talks about compensation with the WA Government and trust they see the financial damage the relocation caused the Club especially after the 2 Covid ravaged seasons. .

“The culmination of these events, and the damage they have caused has made it all but impossible for us to continue financing the club and led directly to the position we find ourselves in today. With a clean slate the financial future of the. Club does look very bright

“It is with profound sadness that I can confirm my decision to step down as owner of this wonderful football club which is so close to my heart and will always remain so.

“I have often referred to Perth Glory as my fourth child and that provides an insight into just how profoundly difficult it is for me to step away.

“However, I have always maintained that everything I do is in the best interests of the club and that commitment underpins this decision.”

APL chief executive Danny Townsend said the move provided a clear path forward for the club.

“Perth Glory have faced incredibly difficult circumstances over the last five years and we are pleased to close off this period of uncertainty for players, staff, members and fans as they continue their preparations for next season,” he said.

“Here we have a process which allows for the club’s operations to continue ‘business-as-usual’, whilst the technical adjustments are made to the club’s ownership structure.

“Under this league structure, the continuity of our clubs is now guaranteed by the league.”

KordaMentha’s Andrew Knight said an orderly sale process for the Glory would commence immediately.

“While this process is being undertaken, the Receivers and Managers will continue to operate the Club in a ‘business as usual’ manner.”

Sage is currently overseas and has been contacted for comment, told The West Australian in April he had found an overseas-based buyer for a significant stake of the club, as escalating costs sustained during two COVID-19-affected seasons forced his hand.

A month later, he told The West Australian he hoped to have a new owner in place by the end of June, while the APL representatives travelled to Perth to meet with potential buyers.

The Glory are also without a manager in the wake of Ruben Zadkovich’s off-season resignation, with Kenny Lowe taking over the side in the interim during their 6-2 friendly loss to West Ham at Optus Stadium and their 4-0 defeat to Macarthur FC in their mid-week Australia Cup play-off in Darwin.

However, it is understood former Matildas and Central Coast Manager coach Alen Stajcic, who is currently coaching The Philippines at the Women’s World Cup, is the front-runner for the job full-time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back