Past Player - Myke Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: ND Pick # 38 - Mike Cook - Sandringham

Ah cheers,

I was looking everywhere around page 6 and 7 where everyone was like 'great write up VC', but alas no write up in site.
Oh, that was a separate write up that I transferred to a select few members via telepathy. That was a sweet write up too.

Finally listed as test as opposed to indefinite. Could be back next week if not this week. Really lookin forward to seeing what this kids like.

Wouldn't mind the club doing one of those puff pieces on Myke Cook and a mini interview with him.

He's the only one we've never heard anything about from the club

Re: #39 - Myke Cook

i think i've spotted him on the news at training in the past couple of weeks. anyone know if he's back into full work?

Nathan Bassett revealed in the paper this morning that Myke Cook has asked to wear his number 8 guernsey and he said yes :thumbsu:

Good choice I reckon, Cook will be one to watch next year ;)

Nathan Bassett revealed in the paper this morning that Myke Cook has asked to wear his number 8 guernsey and he said yes :thumbsu:

Brilliant!!!

The hound wouldn't give it to any old kid, so obviously Cooky is rated by the playing group.

For some reason I always felt #39 kinda suited him. Still, that's a big honour! Let's hope it works out a bit better than Gallman at #34 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that (due to injuries, not lack of form) Cook hasn't really done much this year... but outside of the "big two" (Dangerfield and Walker) Cook is probably the draftee I'm most excited about. Just from the little bit of footage I've seen he is exciting and you can bet he will become one hell of a crowd favourite at AAMI.

If he can get his disposal right he could be a gun.

8:52? I assume you stayed true to your word? :D

Anyway, anyone read that article by Bassett? Pretty humerous stuff on behalf of Cook, certainly sounds like a character.
**** yes I did.

I even had to plough through a few episodes of Date My Mom.

I just went to the Austral for lunch and beers then. I am ****ed now.

I know that (due to injuries, not lack of form) Cook hasn't really done much this year... but outside of the "big two" (Dangerfield and Walker) Cook is probably the draftee I'm most excited about. Just from the little bit of footage I've seen he is exciting and you can bet he will become one hell of a crowd favourite at AAMI.

If he can get his disposal right he could be a gun.
same here; he could be the next David Mackay...

By Katrina Gill 12:26 PM Thu 30 October, 2008

YOUNG midfielder David Mackay was one of the feel-good stories to emerge from West Lakes in season 2008.

Mackay, 20, overcame an injury-ravaged first year in Adelaide to play 19 games in his second season and take out the Mark Bickley award as the club's best first- or second-year player.

Now, just two weeks out from the official start of pre-season, there's another young Crow hoping to follow the same script.

Myke Cook, Adelaide's fourth pick (38) in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, appreciates the challenges Mackay faced in his first year at an AFL club all too well.

Cook, 19, arrived in Adelaide with aspirations of playing senior footy, but instead he took over Mackay's regular position – running laps around the AAMI Stadium boundary line.

"I came to the club with a bad knee, so I worked hard to get back training and then during a pre-season Saturday session I jagged my hamstring," Cook said.

"I only missed a few weeks and ended up playing rounds one and two, but during those games I just wasn't 100 per cent and my body just didn't feel right."

Weeks later at another training session Cook's fears were confirmed when he suffered a major tear to the same hamstring. He embarked on the gruelling six-week rehabilitation program only to suffer a recurrence of the injury.

"About four weeks into my third recovery, the hamstring started feeling a little bit tight. I had to pull out of a training session and I went off to have a scan," Cook said.

"The way the doctor explained it to me was that the affected hamstring, which should be about 4cm in diameter, was only 2cm, so it just wasn't strong enough."

Cook, with his season slipping away, underwent a relatively new procedure called a blood autologous injection in a bid to heal his wasted hamstring.

The new age remedy, which involved injecting blood from his arm into his hamstring to promote scar tissue, kept Cook off his feet for another eight weeks, but allowed him finally to regain strength in his troublesome leg.

In August, after a few trips home to Victoria and four months out of the game, Cook returned to the Panthers' reserves. The gritty onballer played three games in the twos before a second-consecutive best on ground performance in round 21 earned him a round 22 SANFL debut.

"Getting a league game at the end of the year was a really good reward and I got some good feedback from the coaches," Cook said.

"They said it was good to see me finish the season off like that. I was pretty happy with that and it spurred me to crack in over the pre-season."

Cook, buoyed by Mackay's achievements last season, is approaching the summer full of optimism.

"All year, the coaching and medical staff at the club told me to really use D-Mac [Mackay] as a model. We had slightly different injuries, even though his was still a hamstring, but it kept us both out of the game for pretty much the same amount of time," Cook said.

"Whenever I started having negative thoughts, I would go up to Dave and ask what he did in this particular situation or how he felt.

"So for me to see that he went through almost exactly the same thing as me and came out the next year to play 19 games – it really helped me and made me see that there are going to be chances for me to play AFL footy next year."

I'm probably most excited about seeing him run around next season as much as anyone. Really hope he has a injury-free pre-season and then shows us what he can do in the NAB cup and then really lets it rip in the home and away season.

Can't wait to see him on the park next year. I'm pretty excited!!!

I dont know much about him i must admit but the whispers i hear about him does get me excited.

For people who have some idea, do you think he could make it as the small forward we've been crying out for???

Going by other opinions that i've heard, he seems to have that 'x-factor' and is very damaging with the posessions he gets, and also has some flair about him.

Seems a perfect fit for a small forward goal sneak IMO. Atleast to begin with.

Not sure what his goalkicking is like, which is potentially a problem. He seems more of an outside player to me from the little I've seen which is possibly also a problem.

But there is no doubting that he is exciting. I can't wait to see him in action. After the big two (Dangerfield and Walker) he was the draftee I was most excited about this past year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back