Past Player - Myke Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #39 - Myke Cook

I dont know much about him i must admit but the whispers i hear about him does get me excited.

For people who have some idea, do you think he could make it as the small forward we've been crying out for???

Going by other opinions that i've heard, he seems to have that 'x-factor' and is very damaging with the posessions he gets, and also has some flair about him.

Seems a perfect fit for a small forward goal sneak IMO. Atleast to begin with.

"x-factor" yes, however, i dont see him as the small forward goal sneak because his major strength seems to be his "take them on" running skills and ability to run bounce & cross the lines. IMO he is better suited to a wing/midfield. He may well become one of those rare goal-scoring wingmen.

I'll keep a keen interest in how Cooky goes, didn't know him personally, but damn I'll be interested in anyone that went to me school.

Didn't realise his hammies were so fked. Saw him at one of our games...was a little surprised, was obviously during the months off he had when he came back to Victoria.

He'll go alright.

IIRC he lead Sandringham's goalkicking playing as a midfielder the year he was drafted, so he certainly knows where the goals are.

He did rest forward on occasions, but he wasn't really a goalsneak, what was good about him as a forward was his pace, vertical leap and ability overhead. His recovery from a contest after contesting the footy in the air was a highlight too. He's more of a Medhurst type small forward than a Rioli type.

Having said that, he's definitely more of an attacking midfielder who has the versatility to rest up forward rather than someone who's a full-time forward. For mine he's wasted there, as his explosiveness and his ability to take blokes on and break lines is easily his biggest strength. If you can tidy up his kicking consistency his hurt factor will be through the roof.

Wouldn't say Cooky's necessarily an outside player, he can go in and get it himself when he has to, what does make him look 'outside' at times is that sometimes he's a bit hesitant as to whether he should go in and get the footy himself or wait out of the handball. He certainly doesn't mind the rough stuff, he just needs to be smarter and more decisive about when to go get it himself and when to hang out for the handball.

He's a favourite of mine and I love watching him play :thumbsu:. Hopefully he can follow in D-mac's footsteps this year.

From the AFC.com.au website, another Q&A with Katrina Gill:

Do you have any pre-game superstitions?
I always watch a game of footy on TV before I play to get me pumped up and I also eat a banana.

What’s your most memorable moment in football so far?
Getting drafted and seeing mum and dad’s faces - they were shocked, but I think I made them pretty proud, so that was a good feeling.

What’s your favourite item of clothing?
My boardies. I have a fair few pairs, but I do have some favourites.

Who is your funniest teammate?
Unfortunately, he’s not here anymore, but Ed Curnow was pretty funny, even though he didn’t mean to be.

What’s your most hated training drill?
It’s called ‘18 versus 14’. It’s where you have 14 people in a white jumper trying to get the ball off the 18 people in the playing jumper. If you’re in the white team, you just chase backside for 15 minutes!

Who is your mentor at the club?
Michael Doughty. He’s a South Adelaide boy as well, so we’ve got something in common and he’s given me some good advice.

What’s been the best thing about living in Adelaide?
I’ve met a whole heap of new people and started a career, so it’s been pretty good. I was actually born in Adelaide and lived here until I was about 11, so we have some good family friends here.

What’s your favourite sport outside of football?
Surfing. Yeah, I guess I look a bit like a ‘surfie’, but I’ve lost the dreadlocks at least.

What are you looking forward to doing during the break?
I’m really looking forward to going surfing. You have to go a fair way out to find good waves in Adelaide, but the beach isn’t too far way from my home in Victoria.

Another surfie, hahaha. Bock will be pleased! I didn't know Myke was originally an Adelaide boy, that's got to help the transition! And he got rid of the dreadlocks? I'm horrified!! ;)

From the AFC.com.au website, another Q&A with Katrina Gill:

Another surfie, hahaha. Bock will be pleased! I didn't know Myke was originally an Adelaide boy, that's got to help the transition! And he got rid of the dreadlocks? I'm horrified!! ;)

And a crows supporter :thumbsu:

And a crows supporter :thumbsu:
i recall it was mentioned some time after he was drafted last year, but after a year has passed, i'd completely forgotten. definitely helps with the transition.
no dreadlocks? hope he doesn't look like Dale Thomas.

Re: #8 - Myke Cook

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=71640
With an extended 12-man bench for the clash with the Indigenous All-Stars, 2008 draftees including Shaun McKernan and Rory Sloane are poised to join the likes of Taylor Walker, Myke Cook, Greg Gallman and Aaron Kite in Crows colours for the first time.
cookdebut_large.jpg

hahah the cookie monster

Cant wait to see Cooky in action.

Damn, I really hope he turns into a gun player and plays alot next year, im really getting on the bandwaggon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Cook, but he still has a ways to go in my opinion.

Hopefully he can get the usual Adelaide "two or three games" treatment this year and then a big preseason can see him have a breakout year in 2010! :thumbsu:
And yet on 7 Aug 2008...
cmndstab said:
I'm really excited about this kid. Next year will be a breakout year for him.
:confused:

Why was he wearing Gallman's number last night?

Also how weird was it seeing a number 34 who is not Ben Hart!

I think they might be having problems with their new jumpers or something, I noticed we had the old ones on up in Darwin, I guess Adidas have been a bit slack, or some of the boys have bulked up a little since they took measurements or something.

Like to wish Myke all the best with his debut. Deserves all he can get after all the injuries he has suffered over the last few years and all the work he has done. Hope he kills that pack of disgusting filth you guys are playing.
Go kill em Cooky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back