News Orazio Fantasia departs for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the part I don’t get. We supposedly offered him a 1 year contract. He doesn’t have the right to just find another contract somewhere and sign it as a free agent. We have to delist him for him to leave, or he goes to the draft. Did we just delist him out of the goodness of our hearts so he can get where he wants?
Yes, and this is pretty common for fringe players. Gold Coast did the same for Trent McKenzie when he picked our offer over theirs. We won't get compo.

I was thinking along similar lines as I don't recall Fantasia being delisted. I think Fantasia, Hayes and Lycett are still unsigned players on our list and none of them are free agents. If we get anything it will not be much but I suspect we are entitled to some compensation as none of these guys are free agents. Carlton have picks #70 and #78 and when you don't get into the Draft until pick #73 either of those should be welcome.

Wait and see I guess.

There is no compensation for any of those 3.

We’ll regret this.

We need a 2nd small goal kicker even if Willie doesn't get injured/suspended abd especially if he does.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree on lacking a genuine small forward aside from Rioli, but they can't get Orazio fit & they didn't pick him when he finally did string a few SANFL games together so what's the point?

We could surely have used him for the finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we couldn't have done any worst by playing him.......oh, sorry, yes I forgot we would have been worst if we had played some of the younger players.

Two clubs with a better forward line and that finished above us rate him as a required player but we don't?

This club needs to humble itself
I'm all for calling out the club on many issues I'm not sure this one qualifies, this is a guy that's barely been on the park for two years, is as fragile as a carton of eggs & built like a 12 year old boy.

Not sure GWS rated him much higher than us, Carlton willing to take a punt on the unlikely that's about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imagine thinking Orazio Fantasia will kick an AFL goal in 2024

Softest player at our club since Nathan Lonie, and at least Lonie stayed fit

I liked what he could bring but he had the legs of a 12 year old boy. Preparation wasnt his thing

I liked what he could bring but he had the legs of a 12 year old boy. Preparation wasnt his thing

I realised that when he backed out of the USA trip with Boak, he chose pasta in Italy instead.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Amon was Nathan Lonie before he got his s**t together and started making contact with other players.

The injury proneness aside, it genuinely staggered me how highly he was rated at Essendon because he played well a handful of times at the MCG against fellow mediocre titans circa 2016/17.

When he was first floated as a possibility to return to SA, the Essendon homers in the media were seriously floating Wines; or 2 first rounders; or a first rounder and a player (Powell-Pepper, Butters); as fair value.

Collective delusion writ large.

Makes you wonder what we could’ve got for Sam Gray when he was looking like a Lachie Neale-clone capable of Brownlow Votes against the threepeat Hawks, while also able to play forward and boot bags of 6 & 4 against the Suns and Roos.

Oh to be a HeArTLaNd cLuB, eh?

If we matched the 2 year offer this board wouldve burnt down
Wouldn't even be in the top two worst 2 year contracts we've given to small forwards over the last 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back