Prediction One season too many - Now 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Has it been confirmed he had one on the weekend?

Has he had any others apart than the one a few weeks back, which he supposedly passed the concussion test?
Are you joking ?

Libba subbed with concussion in big Bulldogs blow

Cox is listed as a ruck. And let’s assume that clubs have a lead ruck and either play a second ruck/forward or have a ruck ready to go in the reserves.

3rd line rucks are normally always development players.

With this in mind, this is the list of clubs that I don’t think would be interested in Mason Cox.

Carlton (De Koning, Pittonet)
Essendon (Draper, Goldstein)
Freo (Darcy, Jackson)
GC (Witts, Moyle)
GWS (Briggs, Preuss)
Melbourne (Gawn)
Port (Soldo, Sweet, Visentini)
Richmond (Nankervis, Naismith)
Saints (Marshall)
Swans (Grundy, Ladhams)
Dogs (English, Darcy)

So if I have listed 11 teams that probably wouldn’t be interested, that doesn’t leave many to que for his signature.

At 33, I don’t think he will get another contract.
He probably won’t get another contract, however, some of those clubs listed would be better off with Mason Cox, as he is a second ruck (Cameron is out ruck)and a player who has proven can kick goals and be dangerous up forward.

Melbourne would have been better with Cox than Grundy. Even now they would be.
Essendon probably would have considered Cox over Goldstein if he was available (let’s face it, both are more effective than Draper).
Richmond would probably have looked at him over Naismith if he was available.

The thing with Cox is that he constantly has his arms chopped and rarely get a free. Blatant again against Carlton, particularly the play which had the ball fall into DeKoning’s lap after Pittonet chopped one of Cox’s arms.

Softest player in the comp.

Was alright when he had lace out delivery at the Pies in his debut season and sharing full forward duties with De Goey.

But no other strings to his bow. Never straight lines a ball in dispute and he always steps to the side to the oncoming player and has to reach with an arm which means it’s an easily broken tackle - never gets his body behind the tackle. He has no mental fortitude either - drops his head way too easily.

So you have a combo of poor delivery taking away his strength, and then his glaring weaknesses magnified.
Delist?

Libba
Grimes
Gunston
Thought Gunston was genuinely good this week except for his goal kicking, which is an issue for him this season. Has kicked 4.11 in 5 games, 3 years ago that is 11.4 and he is having a decent season

Brodie Smith clubhouse leader for this thread.

[PLAYERCARD]Jeremy Howe[/PLAYERCARD] isn’t far behind, not anywhere near his best. Unlike Pendles & to a lesser extent Sidebottom, I’m not sure it’s temporary either. Can see that he looks like he’s lost a yard, think he is by far the easiest avenue to goal for opposition in the Collingwood defence.

Breust & Hawkins already discussed.

I suspect Dan Butler doesn’t get extended beyond this year, Saints have moved past him.
underszied defender who could play on bigs and smalls due to his insane athleticism. Was always going to struggle when lost that edge.

He hasn't been the same since he hasn't been able to put himself in his multis
This is accurate. We all remember his ripping debut year but his 2019 season up until suspension was significantly better. Games against Port Adelaide and Melbourne most notably displayed his extremely damaging forward craft. Our delivery forward was not near as good as in 2018, so I don't really buy that he lucked himself into nearly 40 goals in his first year. He was a supreme talent.

Then he is suspended for 10 games, plays a role in an unsuccessful finals series but doesn't star. 2020 rolls around, he isn't picked on four or five occasions and the rest is history.

Although whilst the gambling suspension is what will be pinpointed to as the beginning of his demise, it was more likely the glandular fever he contracted in 2020 pre-season that made him not get picked in the team early. I don't think he was serious enough as a professional athlete in the COVID year to give it his best crack. The worst thing he could have done then was go to a struggling team, and also a club less under the microscope for him to get away with his lazy application.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Embarrassing way to become the leading games player for your club.

Hawkins being gifted games at this point. Play next week and then hang up the boots.
There’s no way Hawkins retires before season’s end while the Cats are a huge chance to win the flag. I’m also not convinced that Hawkins won’t come out of this slump. If he does it’s great news for Geelong, and the later he leaves it the greater likelihood that he’ll be peaking at the business end of the season.

That said, if I’m wrong, then the noble thing to do would be to retire after equalling Selwood’s games record. It would almost seem petty to go one game up and then pull the pin.

There’s no way Hawkins retires before season’s end while the Cats are a huge chance to win the flag. I’m also not convinced that Hawkins won’t come out of this slump. If he does it’s great news for Geelong, and the later he leaves it the greater likelihood that he’ll be peaking at the business end of the season.

That said, if I’m wrong, then the noble thing to do would be to retire after equalling Selwood’s games record. It would almost seem petty to go one game up and then pull the pin.
Just quietly, I don’t think the Cats are a huge chance of a flag. Think they will slide to the bottom of the 8, who knows, maybe even out of it.

Hawkins still takes up great positions to create space and is willing to sacrifice his game for the team. He's a long way below his best but still clearly worth a spot in the team.

Stanley on the other hand looks all sorts of cooked.

Libba should not be in this thread. Made the AA 40 last year and is still playing good football. The concussions and knocks are worrying me a bit, but they are in no way related to one year too long.
He's not on for football reasons so it's slightly disrespectful to talk about him like this.

But technically, it's correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back