Opinion AFL 2024 Round 6 - Liked, Learnt, Hated... NOW WITH ADDED WRAPPING!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked.
  • Harley Reid. How could you not.
  • Collingwood getting back to business.
  • Living in Adelaide, when we smack the pretender team and give them a reality check.
Learnt.
  • North should really have tanked last year, to ensure they got Harley Reid.
  • Port will continue to blame their coach, when they inevitably lose to the better teams.
  • It is going to be a long, very open season and the eight wont be settled till the last round.
Hated.
  • Serial offenders, when it comes to score reviews.
  • Score reviews in general.

Liked - seeing the Eagles up and about. I wonder if the Dockers will blame the umpires for that one as well ...

Learnt - that my team may be the real deal this season.

Hated - a great game between the Crows and Dons being overshadowed by umpire controversy.

Liked: Harley Reid is a generational entity.

Learnt: When Harley Reid takes off his superhero costume and enters Clark Kent mode, he becomes Tanner Bruhn and that's pretty handy, too.

Hated: People, including me in retrospect, complaining about short breaks. I was certain that Geelong's 6 day break was monumentally unfair against Brisbane's 9, until it was pointed out that the stats show the team with the short break wins the vast majority of such matches.

Liked: The Pies getting their mojo back. Hopefully it continues.

Learnt: If the AFL are going to focus on getting the comp as even as possible they need to lift the standard of umpiring.

Hated: Nathan Murphy’s forced retirement.

Regards

S. Pete

2013 EF vs Collingwood.

We have never won a final in Melbourne against another Victorian side other than that. The only other final we won in Melbourne was the 2004 GF vs Brisbane. All our other wins has been in Adelaide and 1 game in Perth vs Freo in the 2014 SF.
Oh wow, yeah that'll be a big obstacle.

Liked: Unexpected resurgence of the Eagles

Learnt: Things are never as good as they seem and they are never as bad as they seem.
Goal umpires are are going the same route as cricket umpires for run-outs.

Hated: Charlie Cameron getting off because he's a good guy. Sends the wrong message about the integrity of the MRP/competition (more likely exposes the integrity of the AFL), but at the end of the day I think the one who will loose most from the decision is Charlie himself.

Liked - I am so in love with Harley Reid

Learnt - West Coast are on the up. With their injuries last year, 2024 is shaping up to be a more accurate representation of where they’re at.

Hated - Thursday night scheduling. Last week had the dees playing their 3rd game in 13 days. This time it was the saints 3rd in 11 and off the back of 5 day break. I get it, teams are going to be tested. But it’s a marquee time-slot. Give us two teams fresh and ready to play, otherwise we end up with s**t footy.
Harpo Marx scheduling system. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Learnt:
Dimma needs to spend more time at the club rather than prancing around town living the life.

Pies, Blues and Cats were all ENORMOUS in their respective ways. The benchmark is set and everyone else now knows what is required.

Hated:
Commentatoes. While the AFL wants to diversify referees, we need with MORE URGENCY to smash the ol' boys media club which gives us tired old unimaginative cliches each week, rambling verbosity, and the wrong player names. I'd be excluding anyone over 42, enticing younger, sharper, more professional recent retirees who can tuck a shirt in and take up less camera space.
One of the SEN callers said "irrepressible" 3 times in5 minutes

Learnt:
Dimma needs to spend more time at the club rather than prancing around town living the life.

Pies, Blues and Cats were all ENORMOUS in their respective ways. The benchmark is set and everyone else now knows what is required.

Hated:
Commentatoes. While the AFL wants to diversify referees, we need with MORE URGENCY to smash the ol' boys media club which gives us tired old unimaginative cliches each week, rambling verbosity, and the wrong player names. I'd be excluding anyone over 42, enticing younger, sharper, more professional recent retirees who can tuck a shirt in and take up less camera space.

This is really a bigger issue than people realise. As you mentioned though its a boys media club , how is this changed and broken up.

AFL really need to look at this and put wheels in motion, some of the commentary is embarassing. If they truly want to grow the sport , any onlooker non football fan hearing the commentary would think we are completely amateurish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is really a bigger issue than people realise. As you mentioned though its a boys media club , how is this changed and broken up.

AFL really need to look at this and put wheels in motion, some of the commentary is embarassing. If they truly want to grow the sport , any onlooker non football fan hearing the commentary would think we are completely amateurish
Yeah, it's oafish, caveman stuff.

Liked: The Eagles getting b2b wins.

Learnt: The lions are done, either start again or get a new coach. Port Adelaide are nothing but a tease and are in the AFL just to screw up your tipping.

Hated: the total over umpiring of the North/Hawks game, it's the bottom 2 just let them play.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(pt 2)
Liked: Winning off a 6 day break against a team off a 9 day break
Learnt: Statistically, there is no big advantage ever, in history ever ever ever, to the team with fewer days' break. They win 49.3% of games.
Hated: The "days' break excuse". Prepare and plan. If you played at the same time every week, it would still be 3 games in 14 days.

Liked - Essendon’s win being built on pressure and defensive structure. Collingwood overcoming a six goal lead like it was nothing and setting up a tasty looking ANZAC Day. Harley Reid.

Learnt: I said it during the Good Friday game and I’ll say it again - Carlton will win the flag. Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay and Weitering are an unstoppable quintet.

Hated: Freo and Gold Coast’s performances. That Harley Reid doesn’t play for my team 😭

Liked: Unexpected resurgence of the Eagles

Learnt: Things are never as good as they seem and they are never as bad as they seem.
Goal umpires are are going the same route as cricket umpires for run-outs.

Hated: Charlie Cameron getting off because he's a good guy. Sends the wrong message about the integrity of the MRP/competition (more likely exposes the integrity of the AFL), but at the end of the day I think the one who will loose most from the decision is Charlie himself.
If the good guy loading is worth a pinch of the dreaded steaming divot, Toby will get his 1 week reduced to 3 for what most still consider to be a hard but fair football act.

TBH this is Toby's MO. Go in recklessly and then get a surprise that people get hurt or that he gets reported.

Boot studs in faces. Fingers in eyes. The list goes on.

Liked: almost everything about Saturday, the motorbike man, my man Yeo, Waterman playing like JK

Learnt: either we're back to being half decent or Freo and Richmond are shite. It almost feels like we're back amongst the pack. Could be kidding myself and it could turn bad, but I won't be surprised if we nab 8 wins this year and finish say 12th.

Hated: Power and Giants losing
I called 12th at the beginning of the year. Quickly dropped it after two games now I’m back on the twelfth coast eagles bandwagon

Liked: finally being able to enjoy watching the Eagles
Learnt: Harley Reid can play football
Hated: not much really

The more I think about this the more I think it was a brilliant move by Draper with the 4 field umpires thinking how could anyone be so stupid as to lay/sit on a football, virtually in dead-in-front of the opposition goals with 4 seconds remaining, so accordingly not one of the 4 field umpires paid the free!.... boy genius is Don's ruckman Sam Draper and of course Sam had to re-enact this outrageous and devious act in front of the Adelaide Crows faithful straight after game which would have to be one of the most comical scenes to have been seen on a footy field. 😇

Crows v Bombers, Friday night: Yes, yes, the Bombers were the better side all night and deserved to win. But that was holding the ball. 1713688300432.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back