Omeo DFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi All,

As a player who has played both North Gippy and ODFL football i can state that the ODFL has increased in standard in the past few years and the top sides in the ODFL would now be comparable to the bottom 3-4 teams in the NFNFL.

For Instance I can see a Swifts Creek outfit comfortably accounting for Boisdale-Briagolong and Lindenow Sth really taking it up to Perennial easybeats Stratford.

As a spectacle the recent ODFL Grand Final was really a fantastic game to watch with great pressure,tackling ferocity and skill on show.

Even though the final score really flattered Swifts Creek it really showed that Lindenow South had little or no experience in big games, and i'm sure the hitout will stand them in good stead for the future.

For Swifts Creek the damaging players were Damian Tubb who dominated the game at full back and showed what the ability to read the ball can do when kicks into the forward line are not pinpointed as well as having greater desire than his opponent to get to the contest, Damian Pedder who kicked six (two cheapies - one from holding the ball free kick being reversed after being tackled and then tackling the player with advantage and one from a wayward runner) and the Smooth,Silky skilled Josh Sheean who as always had the ball on a string.

For Lindenow South we saw what would be one of the greatest displays in a grand final losing side by Key defender Russell White who smashed Swifts Creek Power Forward Grant Mooney at every contest, spoiling himand then running off him to set up play further up the field, Also midfielder/defender Ryan Buckley made his presence felt at every contest as did Ruckman/Key Forward Haydn Erfurth who at 17 could develop into one of the best players in the league over the next few years though.

As the story goes however the Swifts Creek Side used their speedy runners very well to ensure South did a lot of running throughout the day while South could not bring their bigger bodies to the contests as often as possible and were perhaps carrying a few too many players who were unfit including their coach Simon Williams and Swingman Lee Duffield who at their best are very damaging but were apparently carrying injuries for much of the year and did not get on the training park as much as needed.

Any news on coaching appointments around the traps?

Obviously the Creek are looking with Grant Mooney moving interstate and I understand that Swanny are also in the hunt with Adam Rees choosing not to/being asked not to do the job again in 2012.

Are the other four clubs sorted for coaches?

Any news on coaching appointments around the traps?

Obviously the Creek are looking with Grant Mooney moving interstate and I understand that Swanny are also in the hunt with Adam Rees choosing not to/being asked not to do the job again in 2012.

Are the other four clubs sorted for coaches?

I have heard that Buchan are trying to secure a playing coach from the NGNFL (rumours it is David "Poison" Ivey), that Lindenow South have reappointed Simon Williams, and that Swifts Creek are considering their options (basically my source said he couldnt tell me who they are approaching as it is high profile?i think he is talking s**t) not sure of the others though

I don't need to tell you this plugger, as you've done it before, but you better strap on your drinking boots then and get ready for a big day.

Yeah I bloody know. You know what the worst thing is, Johnny? I invited him as a guest in the SKILLED marquee. Free piss and food all day.

I truly will have nobody to blame but myself tomorrow morning...lmao

I will probably try and play it cool for most of the day but he is picking me up from the station at 11:15am...lol

Haven't been on here since Grand Final day so might just add a few more comments after what Randtownmayor posted.

Wasn't too bad to watch which is a credit to the league now. 3 quarter time could have gone either way yet the experience of the Creekers got them over the line.

The fossil Tubby played similair to how he had all finals series. In the previous 2 games he played a loose man role and read it beautifully. In the Granny however Swifts played a bit smarter and put him on one of the more... stagnant... Swampie forwards. As an outsider watching the game, it was where the match was won for the Creek and lost for the Swampies. Laziness is a curse and the Creek certainly utilised this match-up. Sounds harsh, but there were 2 or 3 Swamp players that, if they were as dedicated as their teammates, could have walked away with premiership medals with their fellow 17 blokes.

For the Creek, Neeson is a jet and could be playing at a much higher level along with Sheean. Peddar was lucky, and I was quite impressed by the young ex-MelbourneGrammar boy Chris Barry who wasn't afraid to stick his head over the ball.

I thought when big Sam Howden went into the ruck he had the better of Swifts dominant big man Keyte, yet Howden didnt have the tank to stay there for long. Pollard did a great job head to head with League B&F Cameron and the small Channing also had a good crack.

I definitely agree with you on Howden, can really play just needs a bigger tank to compete for 4 quarters .. there are many games where he has a massive influence in the 1st and 2nd quarters only to fade significantly in the 3rd and 4th.

Both Pollard and Channing are very good players with the former apparently being looked at by bairnsdale to play gippsland league football.

It will be interesting to see how Swifts Creek go this year without Big Sauce Grant Mooney who has always had a massive influence on games in the ODFL, also will many other players leave?

I would also like to take the time to discuss the biggest Characters/w***ers of the Omeo and district League and while a few clubs have more than one i'll stick to this at the moment.

Swan Reach: Adam Rees - A very dirty player will endeavour to inflict pain on smaller younger opponents with elbows,knees etc. Has lost the coaching gig and not before time as he has no respect with anyone that plays against him.

Buchan: No one really - On occasion Matty Whelan or Wayneo can be a bit willing but apart from that a good bunch of blokes.

Swifts Creek: Damian Tubb/Luke Klasen - Very close between the two, While Tubby is a capable player his mouth is reputed to have half of gippsland thinking he is a w***er. While Klasen with some talent but less than no testicles is even more arrogant and cannot be found near any hard contest unless by accident.

Bruthen: Jack Haslam - The Perennial Prettyboy is a good bloke and a better player although is likely to miss half the first quarter styling his hair or whitening his teeth.

Lindenow South: Mick Harrington - The Red-Headed Brick from the swamp possibly also has the former in his head, has the worst ability to restrain himself of anyone i've seen in a while and i am amazed he has not been suspended in the last couple of seasons after repeated sendoffs for wrestling and fighting, he will give away at least 3-5 free kicks away every game.

Omeo/Benabra: David Hille - The Full Forward is possibly the biggest whinger in the history of ODFL football and would get 450 free kicks per game if he got everyone he cried for.

I've had a bit to do with the big stock agent up there in the hills and from through my dealings he seems to be a pretty good bloke. I think I only watched the one Omeo game this year so can't draw too much on that, but a lot of the forwards have a sook from time to time so it isn't anything new really.

Don't know too many of the others mentioned personally, but have seen a few of them play. Played against Tubby back in the day and he was always known to give a bit, but it's country footy so you come to expect it.

As for the pretty boys, the majority of the young blokes coming through these days could be deemed "pretty" compared to when I was growing up. My young bloke started his first season this year in the Under 12's and the only boots we could find that were his size were all either white or bright green/orange/pink etc. Just seems to be the norm these days that young blokes worry about their appearance.

Still it is good input into the board and I agree with you about the Buchan blokes. Always a good trip heading up there and a lot of genuine fellas who are always up for sinking a pot or two during and after the match. I don't get up there unfortunately as much as I would like these days but I do try and see every team in the EGFL and ODFL at least once per season. Talking about clubs with cold beer, I've always rated Omeo and Swanny as the other two clubs that I don't mind having a few drinks with on a Saturday afternoon/evening.

I definitely agree with the one on Hilly, seems to be a top bloke but is the biggest whinger on the footy field i've seen... rumour has it that he played a few vfl reserves games years ago?

you are definitley right on the prettyboy theme they are everyehere these days , i suppose it is ok as long as you still have a crack

Any more news on coaching appointments? My understanding is the Swanny job has been filled by a non playing coach who may have coached some junior interleague footy recently? Have heard nothing out of the Creek.

My Team of the year for ODFL

FB: R.Buckley (South) D.Tubb (Swifts) D.Thorpe (South)
CHB: R.Giddings (South) R.White (South) B.Shields (Swanny)
C: B.Cameron (Swifts)
CHF: T.Whillance (Bruthen) S.Howden (South) I.Hood (Swanny)
FF: Rod O'Keefe (South) G.Mooney (Swifts) J.Costigan (Buchan)
Foll: M.Stephenson (Swanny) J.Callaway (South) J.Sheahan (Swifts)

Bench: T.Neeson (Swifts) N.Pollard (South) M.Harrington (South) P.Craze (Omeo)

Coach: Simon Williams (South)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Team of the year for ODFL

FB: R.Buckley (South) D.Tubb (Swifts) D.Thorpe (South)
CHB: R.Giddings (South) R.White (South) B.Shields (Swanny)
CHF: T.Whillance (Bruthen) S.Howden (South) I.Hood (Swanny)
FF: Rod O'Keefe (South) G.Mooney (Swifts) J.Costigan (Buchan)
Foll: M.Stephenson (Swanny) J.Callaway (South) J.Sheahan (Swifts)

Bench: T.Neeson (Swifts) N.Pollard (South) M.Harrington (South) P.Craze (Omeo)

Coach: Simon Williams (South)

APOLOGIES TO JACK AND BEAU HASLAM - Jack should replace his teammate Tom Whillance and Beau Should be on the bench don't know who to replace though as the others would be stif to miss out.

Good effort.

Being picky I would say that Thorpe rarely went back pocket, I. Hood spent a lot of year on a back flank apparently (makes his goal tally more impressive however). Thats being very harsh but teams are never going to be agreed upon 100%.

Didn't see too many games early on but talked to a lot of blokes from all clubs throughout the season and went to every finals match as well as games leading up to them.

FB: B. Shields (Swanny) S. Jackson (Creek) C. Forbes (Bruthen)
CHB: R. Buckley (South) R.White (South) I. Hood (Swanny)
CHF: J. Haslam (Bruthen) S. Howden (South) J. Sheahan (Swifts)
FF: Ducka O'Keefe (South) G.Mooney (Swifts) T. Sheean (Omeo)
Foll: A. Keyte (Creek) J.Callaway (South) T. Neeson (Creek)
Bench: N.Pollard (South) B. Haslam (Bruthen) S. Boswell (Swanny) R. Smith (Omeo)

Unlucky were the likes of N. Pearce, B. Cook, D. Tubb, M. Stephenson, Erfurth etc

It's bloody hard to make one as there is always going to be deserving players miss out. I couldn't fit in a Buchan player at all, when a player wins their B&F like Kyle did after only playing 4 games for the season they don't deserve one to be blunt. Also a near certainty is the younger Haslam Jack, he was by far one of the better players all year in the league and is a lock either in the guts or in the forward line somewhere. The newer and younger players really had an impact this year like Haslam, Cameron, Erfurth, Pollard, Boswell, Hulme, Weeks etc. and if the clubs can hang onto these young players coming through then hopefully a future can continue for the ODFL.

I agree that Ivan Hood did play about 50/50 forward and back but i am of the belief that he is much more dangerous to the opposition on a forward flank with his evasive skills and footy nous.

I also agree that Darcy thorpe is better suited as an onballer but would be an exceptional back pocket also. I also think looking at your side that trav sheean deserves a guernsey way ahead of Costigan of Buchan.

On a side note what are your thoughts on;

Hayden Erfurth?

Mick Harrington?

Jack HAslam>?

Without a doubt someone like Hood should be in the forward line. Just thinking back to when Swanny came from behind against the Creek back in the 09 GF proves where he is best at. 10 goals in a half of football is amazing, let alone in a Grand Final.

Erfurth will be one of the leagues best players in a few seasons. Still a bit small (straight out of 16's so you can't be too picky) so naturally once he gets bigger he will be far to good for the ODFL.

Harrington is suited to the ODFL. Every ODFL side has a bigger, more stationary, forward that get their goals mainly by using the big bodies and strength rather then running and jumping (Cantrill, Peddar, Costigan etc). Sounded like he founded his niche by going head-to-head with these blokes in the goal-square in a battle of the brawn. South were lucky enough to have White who could then take the more faster and athletic forwards (the Mooneys, Haslams, Boswells, Pitts etc.) so Harrington wouldn't have had too. ODFL would be his limit from what I've seen, wouldn't be able to handle a Schumann, Beha, Kennedy or Scott of the EGFL.

Rate Haslam pretty highly. Mainly saw him when he was at Bairnsdale and he reminds me very much of his old man back in the day (my old team mate). His old man spent time up forward playing the lead-up role as well as switching into the ruck and on-ball although dodgy knees always kept him out. Stands out in the ODFL mainly because he is young therefore fitter and quicker then most of his opponents. Any bloke that kicks over 50 goals in a season is obviously talented and is pretty important to Bruthen's future.

Great appraisal on young Erfurth... is a great young athlete and a bloke to match is apparently taking on the junior coaching role on out there at the swamp this year, the only issue with this kid is will he be at the swamp in 5 years or up in the big smoke playing premier grade cricket... the kid is that good consistently scoring 50's and higher in A grade at sixteen.

The thing about harrington like you said is that while i have only seen him have a bag kicked on him once last year , he would give away too much height and mobility to the better EGFL and NGFNL Forwards... I think he could play in these leagues as an effective defensive forward as he would draw a decent defender.... my mail from the inner sanctum at the swamp is that this guy is a freak when it comes to strength... all he needs to do now is lose some nick and learn how to jump and he'd be a great full back. It is fun however seeing him become quite aggressive to the opposition forwards, especially against Swan Reach where he always seems to get sent off.

I think that while Haslam could consistently kick between 50 and 70 goals a year in the ODFL i think that while this tactic may work against the weaker teams (Playing forward) i really think against the better teams he should push up into the midfield where he can really influence the game more.

One last thing I'd like to mention on the young Erfurth, I don't like seeing him in the ruck. Saw him play there for at least half the game in the 2 finals against the Creek and although he held his own, he looked much more damaging as a forward when I watched him earlier in the year against Buchan. If South could recruit a quality full time ruckman they would be the complete ODFL side. Would enable S. Howden and young Erfurth to be the big targets and O'Keefe at their feet would be very dangerous. Granted, I only saw them play about 4 times this year so I'm not sure if he was in there all year but it's just asking for the lesser skilled ruckman in the league to try and take out a young player as is usually the case in the league.

Have heard Harrington has a bit of a hot head but from what I saw this year he managed to keep his head cool. Aggression is part of ODFL, and its rare to go to a match and not see at least one send off but it is pretty important as well for success. It would make sense him having a crack at the Swans, as they are known to dish it out.

I definitely agree with you on both Howden and Erfurth, especially young Erfurth who can really judge the ball in the air well as well as time his leads unlike some of the other forwards going around.

I tend to agree with you on Harrington as in Previous years he has almost always been reported and sent of a number of times each season but apparently Simon Williams has really turned his ferocity into a positive for the team whereas under Red Faithful and Noel Jansz they seemed to encourage his acts of aggression which generally affected the team negatively. Personally i think he would be better moving up to NSW or QLD and taking up rugby League.

Would be awesome to see your top 15 ODFL players of 2011, mine is as follows;

1.Russell White (South)
2.Damian Tubb (Swifts)
3.Sam Howden (South)
4.Brodie Cameron (Swifts)
5.Rodney O'Keefe (Ducka) (South)
6.Jack Haslam (Bruthen)
7.Nathan Pollard (South)
8.Josh Sheean (Swifts)
9.Rees (Swan Reach)
10.Tom Neeson (Swifts)
11.Trav Sheean (Omeo)
12.Ivan Hood (Swan Reach)
13. Brett Shields (Swan Reach)
14. Aiden Keyte (Swifts)
15. JArrett Callaway (South)

Please note: not all of these guys made my ODFL team of the year as some play similar positions and some i think play as individuals rather than as one of the team.

hey guys,

need to see some more action on this one...... what are all the teams doing? preseason has started and from what i hear Lindenow South have lost 2-3 of their better players and Omeo have recruited really well with some ne mines opening up there bringing new guys into the league....any news on any other teams>???

Hello Everyone, it certainly is quiet on here.

BIG NEWS UP AT THE CREEK - Tubby will coach as Grant Mooney heads West to earn some real $$$, not much of that at the creek unless you get paid to play football

BIG NEWS AT THE SWAMP - Darcy Thorpe left for Heyfield FC in North Gippy, Jarrett Callaway not playing and Ryan Buckley Retiring. May be a fall from grace in line for the Swamprats!

NEWS FROM SWANNY - Reesy not playing, Cantrill boys to Paynesville, Pitt to EGFL and a few others leaving as well.

NEWS FROM BUCHAN - Costigan to Paynesville in EGFL, Picked up 6 or so OKish players from Orbost. Also lost their Bairnsdale Aligned players to Lindenow and other sides.

NEWS FROM OMEO - Phone Lines have gone down apparently have not heard a thing.

NEWS FROM BRUTHEN - Apparently they can tow a truck as a unit (in the paper!) but can they win enough games to be finals bound, unless their kids become stronger over the ball i dont think so. Great pace, not strong enough in contests. LOOK OUT FOR JACK HASLAM this Year apparently in Super shape.

From what i hear Jarrett callaway is just taking a break...... new news from the swamp is they have had massive numbers on the track only question remains whether quantity = quality.... while the joiner boys are handy i don't know if they will be able to change the fortunes of Buchan.

Bruthen should definitely challenge or they are not making the best of what they have .... they are young quick and skilful.... they just need 1-2 hard bodied midfielders and a replacement forward for Tom Whillance.... he just doesn't give them enough in the 50.

On another note what happened to Marcus Latham?? he was a star and apparently is not playing at all.

AHA.... That's what happened.. when he is around he is certainly the best forward in the comp by a street and i think he could very easily play 1-2 comps higher in standard (East Gippy or North Gippy) and Perhaps even Gippsland league level... dont know?

I really don't think the Buchan boys will challenge especially after losing Costigan to Paynesville... NO TARGET to Kick to.

While Tom Whillance can certainly play... i find it concerning as i am sure his coach does that while he is beating his opponent he works really hard but when his opponent gets a few wins under the belt on him he seems to crack under the pressure and stop trying... Not a crack at Tom the Person but Tom the footballer.

Great effort Jason.and the boys believe. and play finals.enjoyed my 6 can trip home.thank god my wife drove.

From what i hear Jarrett callaway is just taking a break...... new news from the swamp is they have had massive numbers on the track only question remains whether quantity = quality.... while the joiner boys are handy i don't know if they will be able to change the fortunes of Buchan.

Bruthen should definitely challenge or they are not making the best of what they have .... they are young quick and skilful.... they just need 1-2 hard bodied midfielders and a replacement forward for Tom Whillance.... he just doesn't give them enough in the 50.

On another note what happened to Marcus Latham?? he was a star and apparently is not playing at all.

Callaway is in Kalgoorlie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back