Omeo DFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt,

Thats great work - some fantastic photo's there. I'm a recently retired Buchan player and i think Peter Sandy is one of the greatest football players to come from the area. He's still killing it at age 48! (between 46-48 anyway) and is the best gut runner in the league (surprising given he barely trains). Great to hear he was cutting the Swampies up!

Could be the start of something for the Buchan boys.

Cheers,
DM

Matt,

Thats great work - some fantastic photo's there. I'm a recently retired Buchan player and i think Peter Sandy is one of the greatest football players to come from the area. He's still killing it at age 48! (between 46-48 anyway) and is the best gut runner in the league (surprising given he barely trains). Great to hear he was cutting the Swampies up!

Cheers,
DM

when did you retire and were you a local?

Should have retired well before i did lol! Local bred but lived in Melbourne and would play 8-10 games a year for the cavemen. Most would know me as Murph played in the middle and up forward. My last 3 years of footy delivered a broken ankle, a dislocated knee and in my final game a dislocated elbow. Body's f^cked!

Should have retired well before i did lol! Local bred but lived in Melbourne and would play 8-10 games a year for the cavemen. Most would know me as Murph played in the middle and up forward. My last 3 years of footy delivered a broken ankle, a dislocated knee and in my final game a dislocated elbow. Body's f^cked!

I think i know who you are...did you play one game of cricket last season as a fill in when we were short?

Yeah had 1 game with the Buchan boys - it was against the swampies actually. Spent most of the day sledging, bowling pies and went out for a duck - crickets not my thing!!

So who might you be???

if i remember correctly, you bowled like a 12 ball over...lots of wides

i am the fat offspinner with the funny beard, otherwise known as Mat Smith...im a new Buchanite...

bit of a 1 sided affair at Buchan on saturday with Swifts Creek getting up by 80+ points

most of buchans best from last week against lindenow sth were either not playing (rowan Ingram & Brooks Joiner) or were kept very quiet (Peter Sandy, Dan Mraz, etc)

buchans best were John Saxton, Wayne Kelly, Brad Smith & Toby Thomas

Some photos

BUSC17.jpg

BUSC45.jpg

BUSC94.jpg

BUSC127.jpg

BUSC151.jpg

for the rest of the photos, go here

Matt,

Cheers,
DM

Gees i remember playing against peter 20 years ago, was a hard bugga back then

are the swampies any chance of winnig it this year? i dont even no who plays for them anymore but they seem to doing allrite whos any good that plays for them now?

The Creek played swanny at swanny and got off to a flying start with help from new recruits, Andrew Perrin, Todd Fleicher, and Taylor newton all impressing, the creek led at half time 11.11 to swannys 4.6 but the creek dropped off in the second half and after some in acurate kicking went into the last break leading by just 15 points. Damien Pedder stood up in the last quater to help the creekers get over the line. Young gun beau gaudion named best on for the creekers while stephenson was good for swanny. was a tough game for the young swifts creek outfit with the bigger stronger swanny players playing dirty and often unsportsman like towards the young kids. couple of headbuts and elbows getting about.

while in other matches omeo comfortably accounted for buchan even with buchans inclusions off the bairnsdale bye. David Hill finished up with 5 goals while for the visitors costigan kicked 3. the ranges new recruit Peter Craze was named best for the home side, young Brandon Betts also showing some form after returning from wy yung u/18's. brick and dick were the best for the visitors.

South went into the match against bruthen favourites and they didnt dissapoint, demolishing bruthen howden kicked 11 goals for the winners while Jack haslam kicked 6 for his losing side, Nigel pearce impressed for the dogs while jack bacon was named best for the swamp rats.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some early tips. Buchan to finish on the bottom. going into the finals will be the Alpine Ranges, Swifts Creek, Lindenow south and filling in the 4th spot will be the struggling swanny boys. not sure who to pick for the flag at this stage. With the creekers new recruits can they go back to back? and win there 3rd flag in 4 years? dont write omeo off though they have a good young side and will definately be pushing for a spot in the grand final.

Something is wrong there plugger very wrong...........have a look at the results the goals don't add up at all in one game it said he kicked 16 and the team kicked 14???

Does it reek of that bloke from the seconds who changed the cards!!

No foul play. The league has a 10 goal rule.

Confusing and I don't understand the point, but once a team gets 60 points above their opponents the score remains as a 10 goal win, regardless if they win by 61 points or 150.

East Gippsland league also uses the same margin rule for their 12's, 14's and 16's. Apparently it makes the boys feel better when they check out the paper on a Monday and it says they only lost by 10 goals when in reality it was a 20 goal loss.

However all goalkickers continue to be tallied in these matches, hence that young blokes 16 goal performance in an official team 14 goal game.

Regardless, it is a great performance by that young Omeo player. What makes it even more impressive is that it will be the 3rd year in a row where he has kicked over 100 goals in the under 16's starting when he was 14.

Yeah, pretty freak effort from the kid. By the end of the year, it will be 400 goals in 3 seasons of football, and also a few senior games in there dating back to when he first played, as I can only assume a 13 or 14 year old. Pretty awesome really. Fair enough, the footy is average, however, he can only play against whoever is served up each week.

Anyone know exactly how old Macy Hambrook is (date of birth), and his height? I heard he hasn't actually turned 16 yet so considering he played senior football in 2009, he would've had to debut in senior footy at 14 yo - that is freakish!!

Would also have been playing U16 at 13 in 2009 and finished the year with 130 goals from 17 matches. Backed it up in 2010 U16 with 116 goals in 14 games, and in U16 2011 already has 101 in 8 games. In 2010 he also kcked 15 goals in 5 senior games, very interested to know at what age.

Is this kid a chance to be invited to draft camp, Vic Country rep? Can't wait to see him in action.

Wouldn't reach 6ft and top age Under 16's this year.

Also to put into perspective for those unaware, the ODFL is not a "professional" league to be blunt. It is getting slighty better in standard with a few players making the switch from surrounding NGFL and EG leagues but it is not rare to see 15 or 16 year olds playing seniors match (no reserves in the ODFL) especially as numbers can be scarce at times.

It is a great effort certainly, especially as a 13 or 14 year old a few years ago. However, the Under 16's division is the only junior aged bracket for the league and the towns playing have very small populations so your average Under 16 side would contain about 5 16 year olds, between 5 to 8 14-15 years old and the rest all little 12 year olds and even as young as 10 year olds playing to make up the numbers (I coached for a season in the league a while back). It would not be unusual to see him being matched up with someone as young as 13 due to small numbers.

Potential Gippsland Power School Boys Rep.
Gotcha, thanks for the steer. Great side you barrack for.

My favourite part about that article is the picture. The kid is 15, and has a tat on his arm. I love the ODFL!

8 bucks for entry is probably a bit steep for the neutral supporters however...

Yeah, I must admit I have often thought this as well. Somewhere between 6.75 and 7.05 seems a more appropriate amount. Whoever made the $8 decision really needs to pull their head in, and possibly even be reprimanded as well for that farce!

Also, I heard that instead of selling hot dogs for the recommended $3.20, they were selling them for $3.45, its as though the league and the clubs think that everyone watching ODFL is a millionaire or something.

Obviously didn't understand where I was going with that. More of a playful dig at the standard of footy, hence the sentence before it... ah well, over the head with that one :rolleyes:

Tomorrow has the undefeated Swamp Rats taking on Swifts Creek. It's all set for a great match up which I'm sure will draw a crowd. The match will be won in the defence of each side I feel. Both sides have great players running through the midfield which has been the trademark of both sides all year. Swifts forward line of Coach Mooney, Tubb, Pedder and Sheean can kick 20 goals between them and will need to be subdued for South to have any chance. White (L. South) and Shane Jackson (Swifts Creek) are arguably the two best defenders in the league and I presume White will get first crack at Mooney and Jackson to go to Howden or Erfurth. I will be interested to see the match ups both sides choose to take given that they are presumed to play each other again in the Grand Final in 2 weeks time (no disrespect to Swan Reach intended). Swifts will need to stop the run of O'Keefe and young Nathan Pollard. I'm hoping to see Pollard and Brodie Cameron go head to head in a battle of the youngsters as both have had great seasons and would be a fitting match-up.

I'm going to (again) go with the form side here and tip Lindenow South by 4 points, yet my premiership tip is Swifts Creek at this stage.

In the juniors, Bruthen take on Omeo-Benambra to book a spot in the Grand Final. I'm going to go with Omeo as they have goal-kicking machine Hambrook playing for them. If TAB sportsbet were to set a line for his goal-kicking it would probably be set at 14.5 goals, a credit to the young player.

The Omeo highway was closed yesterday and start of today after a landslide on part of the road blocked off traffic following the heavy rains and floods around East Gippsland this week. Hopefully the road is all good tomorrow morning and the weather allows for an entertaining match up at Ensay tomorrrow.

You may be proven correct but what do you base tipping Swifts Creek over South for the flag? Never seen a OMDFL game in my life but any team that goes through undefeated surely cant be tipped against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back