Omeo DFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I've got no idea. That shot was taken about 2 years ago and he was just one of Buchans older fill-in players when they didn't have enough seniors to play for them.

The ODFL Ladder after 5 rounds:
SENIORS (W-L)
1) Swan Reach 20 (5-0) 157.98%
2) Swifts Creek 16 (4-1) 161.00%
3) Omeo-Benambra 12 (3-2) 95.15%
4) Bruthen 4 (1-4) 83.04%
5) Buchan 4 (1-4) 79.56%
6) Lindenow South 4 (1-4) 59.86%

Leading Goalkickers:
Damian Tubb (Swifts Creek) 23, Tim Cantrill (Swan Reach) 20, David Mitchell (Bruthen) 15,
Rodney O'Keefe (Lindenow South) 15, Damian Pedder (Swifts Creek) 15.

JUNIORS (4 points for a bye)
1) Swan Reach 20 (4-0) 390.16%
2) Omeo-Benambra 16 (3-1) 323.57%
3) Swifts Creek 12 (2-2) 83.45%
4) Bruthen 8 (1-3) 29.51%
5) Lindenow South 4 (0-4) 16.46%

Leading Goalkickers:
Stephen Boswell (Swan Reach) 29, Macy Hambrook (Omeo-Benambra) 16, Daniel
Pendergast (Omeo-Benambra) 11, Zach Tregonning (Swan Reach) 9, Brodie Cameron (Swifts Creek) 7.
Glad to see my old side back on top of the heap where they belong. Is precious, trev and youngy still having a kick? The bulmer boys left lakes?!?!?! never thought the old man would let them!!!! Go swannies:thumbsu::D:thumbsu:

Is there a big standard differance in standard between east gippy and the omeo league. would any omeo clubs be competitive in east gippy league? i only ask because theres not many clubs in either league

If you put ODFL's best senior sides (Swan Reach & Swifts Creek) in the East Gippy league, they would not place in the finals (top 4) as they wouldn't be able to match it against some of the top teams (Bairnsdale, Wy Yung & Lakes Entrance). The 2 sides would be on same terms as Lindenow or Lucknow who are currently 4th-5th on the ladder The East Gippsland league has some very good competitive sides but have sides that lack as well (Paynesville & Orbost). Overall the East Gippy league is a much stronger league in terms of ability, speed, executing game plans etc. but the Omeo league would beat them in strength, determination and loyalty (East Gippy is all about the money so the richer clubs such as Bairnsdale can afford the better players therefore are the powerhouse teams).

But the Omeo League is much more entertaining to watch. There are a couple of big thugs running around that like a bit of biffo which is great for supporters but not as good for players.

Mate both league's are s**t
as for biffo horse head was the man for that!!!!!!!

Not many tumbleweeds going through Omeo at the moment. Just snow a lot of snow around :rolleyes:.

Although they did cop a huge shellacking on the weekend against Swan Reach (around 150 points - Doug Edwards another 11 goals :eek:).

Also the Swampies copped another huge belting, this time to Swift's Creek.

Yeah, had a mate who was playing for the swampies a while back. Adrian Sherrit. He still playin there?

Can anyone tell me who won the ODFL best and fairest award for the 2007 season?

I heard the other day that Stuart Yates did but am finding it difficult to believe that anyone other than Alan Marshall won it...

Yeah Yatesy won it. Marshall has moved onto Lakes Entrance now and is playing some good footy. He had a reasonable year last year playing his usual in-and-under role being the small yet strong bloke he is, but Yates also had a good year. It was a bit of a surprise him winning it considering some of his teammates also having good years so they could've stole votes of each other.

Well there you go. Thanks for the confirmation. So Alby is at Lakes, where's Yatesy playin this year do you know?

what an odd competition.

Not really odd. Odd would probably be the wrong word for it.

Strange, yes. But then again, you are talking about small bush communities the size of Hill End (not Willow Grove) for the most part. Teams formed more from a region, not necessarily the town. Pretty hard to get 20 Seniors, 20 reserves and 20 juniors to have a kick around.

Benambra (according to Wiki) has only 265 people and it quotes "Benambra and the surrounding area had a population of 265"

Taking into consideration that 30-40 percent would be over playing age, that leaves women and kids too young to play juniors even. Would definately struggle to get the 60 players required for 3 teams.

Pretty tough when you think about it. Buchan, according to the ABS has only 326 people in the region. I know that a mate of mine, Craig Ingram still gets up there from Bairnsdale for a few kicks when he can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ingram has got nothing to do with the Buchan Football Club anymore. Spent the entire 2008 season with club Swifts Creek. His sons play for the Junior side who narrowly lost the Grand Final this year and he runs the water for them. He has not pulled on the boots for a while now but when he did play he seemed to attract a lot of jeering from the crowd as his struting was quite an amusing sight.

Yeah, I havent spoken to him in a couple of years. Last I heard he was still having a crack. His kids are playin and thats ok if he is having a go with the drinks.

Strutting....lmao.

Swifts Creek I am tipping to really punish Buchan

url

Swifts won against Buchan by 70 points on the weekend. Aiden Keyte is in very impressive form for the Creek and has been their standout for the season so far.

Swan Reach defeated Omeo-Benambra by 30 points but it should have been a lot more if not for some terrible kicking by the Swans. Swan Reach kicked 14.28 by the match end which included 3.18 by half time. If they kicked straight it could have easily been a 100 point drubbing so Omeo-Benambra should be counting their blessings that they got off lightly.

Bruthen defeated Lindenow South by 7 points thanks to Marc Latham. The tall but skinny forward kicked 11 goals for the Dogs and was easily the difference between the two teams. When Lathams on song he is hard to keep quiet, and I'm sure that the Swifts Creek defenders will be very Latham-conscious this weekend.

Thats an unbelievable resut. 239 point thrashing and considering Bruthen were actually higher placed on the ladder than the Swans before the matched commenced. Could safely say it'll come down to only 2 when the finals kick off. Swifts v Swan Reach in the GF.

The match everyone was looking forward to last week was played between 1st placed Swifts Creek against 2nd placed Swan Reach at Swan Reach. Swifts Creek headed into the game favourites by many missing only league leading goal-kicker Damien Tubb while the Swans were missing 3-4 of their best 20 (no wings in the ODFL). But it was Swan Reach who won and in convincing style. They beat the ladder leaders by 75 points in a thrashing upset.

With Swan Reach over the last month starting to get the majority of their players back from injury, they have really stamped their authority on the league and let Swifts Creek know that they have a lot of work to do.

Not many people may have seen this coming, but I have been saying all along that Swanny are the best side in the league and will be the team to beat come finals time regardless of where they place in the H&A ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back