Omeo DFL

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of a flogging once again. Swan Reach have the flag in the bag! Swifts can't match up against their power forwards. Thats twice now that they've kicked cricket scores against them.

Swan Reach's Adam Rees and Swifts Creek's Daniel Perrin have both tied for this years ODFL Best and Fairest. It's a great achievement for both clubs as they will both be playing off this weekend in the ODFL Grand Final for their respective sides.

This Saturday is the big day in the ODFL. Swifts Creek will now play Swan Reach in this years granny after they narrowly defeated Omeo-Benambra by only 6 points last Saturday. It was a very scrappy game on both teams behalf but the scores kept changing often which kept the fans on edge. Heart-breaking stuff for Omeo-Benambra missing out on a Grand Final by a kick, and it was nearly Swifts Creek that went out in straight sets after finishing top of the ladder, ala Swan Reach last year.

It now means a rematch between the two dominant teams, with Swifts Creek very hungry to seek revenge after their humiliating defeat two weeks ago. Swifts Creek looked very slow and sore against Omeo which won't be a good factor for them as they come up against a rested Swan Reach.

Injury concerns remain over Swifts Creek coach Grant Mooney with his hamstring. He didn't play last week and I'm sure will be very keen to pull on the boots this week. Although he is a very vital player for the Creeks chances of winning, if he isn't at a reasonable standard then he will just be taking up a valuable spot in the team. It is a big call on his behalf: think about the team he coaches or play and hopefully get through the game unscathed with the high chance of becoming a liability to his side. I'm sure Swanny will try to exploit his weakness by running off him as much as they can.

Swan Reach on the other hand have just about a full squad to select from. James Pitt should be over his hamstring injury, and will be trying to squeeze into the side.

The weather I am predicting will play a role in the match. As you would presume playing in the Omeo league, it is predicted windy and showers throughout the day. I can't help but feel that if the weather is fine, the Swanny should be clear favourites. But if their is a lot of rain about, then the game will become a lot more even. Swifts will have a better chance playing in inclement weather conditions as it will reduce the scoring chances by the Swans and not suit their tall forward line. It will make for a much more interesting game.

Swanny are favourites to win their first flag since 1999, and only their second ODFL flag if they can get up. They lost to Bruthen in '03 and Omeo-Benambra in '07 so the community will be hungry for their first flag in 10 years.

Swifts on the other hand will be goin for back-to-back flags after beating Bruthen in last years Grand Final.

My tip: Swan Reach by 32 points
Swanny by 6 goals, Cantrill best on ground. Mooney did hammy again and didn't play a part in second half. Hood kicked a bag (7 i think) and Harrison 5. Cheer Cheer the red and the White!!!!

Hi there,

I'm in Cambodia and struggling to get ODFL scores - can someone post them please?

Cheers,
RT

I can tell you this much Rodge, Luke "the big horse" Klasen and Ducka O'Keefe got the Swampies up and about for a massive come from behind first up win over Bruthen!

Was that the game where some guy broke his leg or something?

Yeah, apparently it was a fairly significant break and the poor bloke couldn't be move for quite some time due to fears it would make things worse. It caused significant delays and the quarters to be shortened for the remainder of the game.

Nice update mate - much appreciated.

Your match of the round will be a beauty both south and swan reach are very good at going the knuckle when things don't go their way. Whoever gets the jump will need to keep their wits about them!!!

Buchan is yet to win a game but don't write them off - they have a great list but have been unfortunate with a few injuries at the start of the year.

Looks like a great year ahead for the ODFL - the league just keeps getting better and better with more players coming from East Gippy league to play in a tough, hard and hell of a lot of fun football league!

Lindenow South have pulled off one of the biggest recruiting coups in Country Victoria this year, the signing of bush legend, Simon "Gill" Williams. Making his debut today, gunna be intense!

Lindenow South have pulled off one of the biggest recruiting coups in Country Victoria this year, the signing of bush legend, Simon "Gill" Williams. Making his debut today, gunna be intense!

Hahaha. Gold. I wonder how he went??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

going down to watch the Lindenow Sth v Buchan game tomorrow, first weekend ive had free all season, so my first game ive been able to watch

Hopefully Buchan can make it a contest

I think you might be in for a good game. Buchan has it's strongest side in for the year added by the inclusion of Ruckman - 'Wayno' who comes in for his first game of the season. Wayne's an ex-South player and had given it away but has been copping that much from the South boys that he's come back to Buchan for this weeks game to even the ledger!

Should be a great game at ODFL's most picturesque ground.

Any chance of posting a report?

Cheers,
RT

Good win by Buchan today, getting up by 23 points at home over 2nd placed Lindeonow South

Final score was
Buchan 13-12-90
Lindenow Sth 9-13-67

Buchan got off to a fast start, kicking the first goal within the first 2 mins, but then nearly all of the rest of the first quarter was played in lindenow souths half of the ground, but they failed to make the most of their oppurtunities and led by just 5 points at quarter time, 2-6-18 to 2-1-13

The 2nd quarter was owned by buchan, and in particular Peter Sandy and Dan Mraz, where they kicked 6-5 to 0-2 for the quarter to have a handy 28 point lead at the long break

Lindenow South won the third quarter, where the Buchan midfield was held pretty quiet with the exception of Michael Sandy, Lindenow Sth kicked 3-1 to 2-4 for the quarter, leaving buchan leading by 31 points 10-10-70 5-9-39

Lindenow South came hard in the last quarter, kicking 3 early goals to cut the lead into the teens, and were pressing hard without much luck for a further 5 mins or so before Buchan kicked 3 goals to seal the victory to Peter Sandy, Mick Sandy and Jake Costigan

The lindenow south bench got quite aggressive during the 3rd quarter giving away 2 50M penalties for abusing the umpires

Buchans best were Peter Sandy (awesome game, was everywhere) Dan Mraz, Michael Sandy and Brooks Joiner did some good things, although he looks really unfit.

dont know any of the lindenow south players names but their best was #27, big bald guy...he was great

some photos from the buchan v lindenow south game

BULS18.jpg

BULS31.jpg

BULS49.jpg

BULS41.jpg

BULS55.jpg

to see the rest of the photos i took at the game click here , cheers :)

some photos from the buchan v lindenow south game

BULS18.jpg

BULS31.jpg

BULS49.jpg

BULS41.jpg

BULS55.jpg

to see the rest of the photos i took at the game click here , cheers :)

Hey saintman, I played in that game, and that is a pretty good match report, and some real good photos as well. Thanks heaps for posting them. It's not often you get to see how (fat) you look when you play football!! Haha.

Hey saintman, I played in that game, and that is a pretty good match report, and some real good photos as well. Thanks heaps for posting them. It's not often you get to see how (fat) you look when you play football!! Haha.

Which number were you? Im assumin you were from Lindenow Sth?

Gunna go down and take some more photos of the Buchan v Swifts Creek game this week too...i like having weekends free for a change!

Which number were you? Im assumin you were from Lindenow Sth?

Gunna go down and take some more photos of the Buchan v Swifts Creek game this week too...i like having weekends free for a change!

I played full forward, wore 29 (I think, first game) for South.

I played full forward, wore 29 (I think, first game) for South.

Not to be confused with number 27 (simon williams) who by the photos must have had plenty of it!!!

Mayhem would have been the bloke dancing and wooooo hooooing after every one of his three goals!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back