Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

unwoke footballers ? are there any ? If I want politico-social opinions, footballers aren't where to look. That said, we all have a right to our opinions, footballers no more than the rest of us. If Bont really did go on an "Invasion Day" march, his business, good luck to him. Who cares as long as he leads the Club to 2024 GF. In the meantime, I hope your Aus Day has been joyful.

Last edited:
I pretty much dismiss the opinions of anyone who uses the term "woke" these days. It started out as a positive assertion but has been adopted and weaponised as a pejorative by those on the right. It is seldom used in its original sense any more.

As Michael Holding wrote (but this was back in 2021*): "And what is wrong with being woke? It seems that people don't understand what it means. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as being 'alert to injustice in society, especially racism'. Please call me woke forever."

Amen to that.

As others have said, each person has their own opinions and makes their own choices. Amen to that too. However as people in the public eye and idols of many kids, star footballers (like any celebrated person) have influence beyond their area of excellence. We are all quite capable of making up our own minds of course, but we do notice when they take a public position. If for nothing else than to better understand the calibre of the person.

* Why We Kneel, How We Rise, by Michael Holding, 2021.

I pretty much dismiss the opinions of anyone who uses the term "woke" these days. It started out as a positive assertion but has been adopted and weaponised as a pejorative by those on the right. It is seldom used in its original sense any more.

As Michael Holding wrote (but this was back in 2021*): "And what is wrong with being woke? It seems that people don't understand what it means. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as being 'alert to injustice in society, especially racism'. Please call me woke forever."

Amen to that.

As others have said, each person has their own opinions and makes their own choices. Amen to that too. However as people in the public eye and idols of many kids, star footballers (like any celebrated person) have influence beyond their area of excellence. We are all quite capable of making up our own minds of course, but we do notice when they take a public position. If for nothing else than to better understand the calibre of the person.

* Why We Kneel, How We Rise, by Michael Holding, 2021.
You don’t live in Canberra, do you? 🙂

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unwoke footballers ? are there any ? If I want politico-social opinions, footballers aren't where to look. That said, we all have a right to our opinions, footballers no more than the rest of us. If Bont really did go on an "Invasion Day" march, his business, good luck to him. Who cares as long as he leads the Club to 2024 GF. In the meantime, I hope your Aus Day has been joyful.
I look forward to the team selections throughout the year.
Outs:
Libba - hamstring tightness
Naughts - back
Bont - Pepper sprayed at peaceful demonstration

I don’t actually recall the last time we’ve done back to back seasons without a jumper change.
Jumper designs generally run in 2 year cycles, outside of tweaks to sponsors. We will have the same jumper in 2024 as we did in 2023. Whenever you see a new design announced, lock it in for 2 seasons. We'll likely see a some kind of modification for the 2025 season.

Recent history of the home jumper:
  • 2021 & 22 - with the red collar (Coinspot logo changed colour between years)
  • 2019 & 20 - with the dorito collar
  • 2017 & 18 - with the original Asics jumper (premiers logo and back sponsor changed from Mission to Mercedes Benz Vans between years)
  • 2015 & 16 - grand final BLK jumper (Mission logo moved up a little on the back between years)
  • 2012, 2013 & 2014 - Kooga jumper with hoops (Mission jumper changed position between 2013 & 14)
  • 2010 & 11 - Kooga robodog jumper

Jumper designs generally run in 2 year cycles, outside of tweaks to sponsors. We will have the same jumper in 2024 as we did in 2023. Whenever you see a new design announced, lock it in for 2 seasons. We'll likely see a some kind of modification for the 2025 season.

• 2017 & 18 - with the original Asics jumper (premiers logo and back sponsor changed from Mission to Mercedes Benz Vans between years)
  • 2015 & 16 - grand final BLK jumper (Mission logo moved up a little on the back between years)
  • 2012, 2013 & 2014 - Kooga jumper with hoops (Mission jumper changed position between 2013 & 14)
The initial return to the traditional hoops had the hoops higher up on the jumper. This is the correct position. A decision was made to lower them so that the numbers would be wholly above the hoops on the back of jumper. I believe this was/is a mistake. It’s a mistake to design your jumper from the back that comprises the main part, the front. The hoops on the chest look stronger than on the belly. IMG_0886.jpeg

I hate you im going to throw up. 🤣

The initial return to the traditional hoops had the hoops higher up on the jumper. This is the correct position. A decision was made to lower them so that the numbers would be wholly above the hoops on the back of jumper. I believe this was/is a mistake. It’s a mistake to design your jumper from the back that comprises the main part, the front. The hoops on the chest look stronger than on the belly. View attachment 1894413
c69f05a816bc86cd9bca3f7328178c96ef134ab4.jpg

The red hoop a touch higher a la Ted in 1965. Note the real football boots - before footballers started wearing ballet slippers.

IMG_1983.jpeg
Carlton’s new away jumper. It has the yoke line where our first hoop should start. Up there on the chest is a strong look. It’s also our traditional position. Our hoops are glorious and generally the horizontal lines are a great look on t-shirt’s and hoodies too. We don’t utilise this look enough, which we should own. IMG_1983.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back