North Had Less Experienced Players Than The Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

That's why I blame our structures and the coach. We should be set up differently that does not expose the young'uns. Scott sets us up for failure.

Common knowledge to any footy follower with half a brain.

The media just love to put in the boots by making it sound like collingwood were incredibly hard done by with ALL their stars out.

Not like we were missing an absolute gun of a midfielder and probably most one of our most important/experienced defenders.

But as said, not an excuse.

It's a fact though. No excuse but a fact.

Shit topic. It belongs in the same category as 'we lost due to injuries'. You play against the team that is on the field and with the players you have available.

Beaten by a better team on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol if they had Beams running around and if Reid wasn't taken out, I reckon we wouldn't have made our little run and would have lost by 35-45 points. There's no points for being young.

I hate those stats and this is a perfect example of why they are meaningless. The team we played was experienced enough to win. The team they played, including all the debutants, worked harder and smarter than almost all of ours. The players can learn and move on. We can just move on.

This would be fine if all we did was pick sides on Thursday night, add up the average age and games played and the side who came out better was given the four points.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. (Maybe a good idea given our foot skills on Sunday)

We go into a game without 6 players clearly in our best 22. Then before the game two more drop out including our reigning B&F winner. During the game two more go down unable to return. We're playing a young side who are only two important players shy of being at full strength who were middle of the road for the past few years and have legitimate ambitions to go better this year....

Do you think we'd win???

This would be fine if all we did was pick sides on Thursday night, add up the average age and games played and the side who came out better was given the four points.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. (Maybe a good idea given our foot skills on Sunday)

We go into a game without 6 players clearly in our best 22. Then before the game two more drop out including our reigning B&F winner. During the game two more go down unable to return. We're playing a young side who are only two important players shy of being at full strength who were middle of the road for the past few years and have legitimate ambitions to go better this year....

Do you think we'd win???

Can we also have most of the remaining first team regulars as recent premiership players, including a Norm Smith medallist and a Brownlow medallist? I'd give us a shot. The equivalent would be us playing a game around 2001 with Carey, Stevens and Grant running around and maybe King, Bell and Simmo out with McCartney injured during the game.

Can we also have most of the remaining first team regulars as recent premiership players, including a Norm Smith medallist and a Brownlow medallist? I'd give us a shot. The equivalent would be us playing a game around 2001 with Carey, Stevens and Grant running around and maybe King, Bell and Simmo out with McCartney injured during the game.

Nah..I'll bite but not with just King, Bell , Simmo and McCartney out. They had 8 best 22 players out and lost 2 more during the game. I'd say they are better now than we were in 2001. But I'll give you the 1999 Premiership Team, keep Carey, Stevens and Grant in but rule out 10 equivalent players to Thomas, Ball, Young, Reid, Fasolo, Johnson, Young, Didak, Beams and Shaw and then we'll see if we could beat any of the other sides who wanted our crown that year.

Bottom line is that the Collingwood side on Sunday night was beatable and if we are the side we want to be, we should have beaten them.

we should keep using the "we have a young team" excuse until all the players get older then we can be like "the reason why we lost is that we have an old team"

Nah..I'll bite but not with just King, Bell , Simmo and McCartney out. They had 8 best 22 players out and lost 2 more during the game. I'd say they are better now than we were in 2001. But I'll give you the 1999 Premiership Team, keep Carey, Stevens and Grant in but rule out 10 equivalent players to Thomas, Ball, Young, Reid, Fasolo, Johnson, Young, Didak, Beams and Shaw and then we'll see if we could beat any of the other sides who wanted our crown that year.

Bottom line is that the Collingwood side on Sunday night was beatable and if we are the side we want to be, we should have beaten them.

Agree on the bottom line, absolutely, and I will argue with anyone who says the Pies weren't that undermanned, just having fun with the premise. It's an academic game, because those players have been valuable over a length of time, not all at once - Didak and Fasolo would not be in the same side, Young doesn't really count because he hasn't played yet, Krak arived after their flag and Beams only stepped up last year and may not have if Ball played all year. I'm just saying if we tried to swing it around and think of North in their shoes, we'd still have to match the outstanding quality and experience of the players they had in and we just don't have that roster right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back